Thread: What's up with Bachmann pricing?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What's up with Bachmann pricing?

Not that I purchase Bachmann on a regular basis, and lets face it we've all had their hardware at some point, and their latest releases are light years from where they were just a few years ago but I've noticed that pricing on both new releases, and the vintage garbage has gone completely through the roof. Any ideas why? Here is an example of a vintage F series that used to be priced at it's highest at 25.00, and averaged around 5-10.00. U36's at 50.00 or more. Really!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bachmann-PR...EAAOSw1mZeKIyY

Are these things now made from unobtanium? I never thought I'd see the day when Bachmann motive power would cost more than Atlas or Kato.
    " You can do anything if you have enthusiasm. With it there is accomplishment, without it there are only alibis " - Henry Ford

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Power Stroke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,953 Times in 1,178 Posts
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People are free to price things as crazily as they want on eBay. It doesn't cost them anything to do so and either they'll snag a sucker or they'll lower the price. Personally, I wouldn't pay 10 cents for that model (which almost certainly has bad gears at this point).

-Mark

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spookshow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,746 Times in 779 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People with older Bachmann stuff get caught up with the pricing on the newer Bachmann stuff. Like you said, their latest releases are light years ahead of the old stuff and their newer stuff, especially steam, run pretty good. But some sellers can't distinguish between the two eras or are just hopeful that they can get as much for their old stuff as the new releases.

As Mark said, buyer beware.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spookshow has it right. People selling are hoping that the buyer doesn't do their homework and just buying on impulse. The "gotta have it" syndrome. I learned the hard way about Bachmann. I will not sell my Bachmann to anyone. It will be a reminder to do my homework before buying on line.
    A simple man trying to run my trains...

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NSNYSWFAN74 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 314 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After years of Kato, Atlas, Life-Like locomotives, i try one new. EMd SD 45. sound okay and work okay. Still noisy if compared with another brand. But way to be made is far far away from any expectation. Cold soldered wires, pick-up which i have to renew myself, blob of glue on sun shades, glue on the windows. Even it have the fingerprint of worker on one side forever. Whit glue. I bought few years ago a 4-8-2 steamer. I like it a lot, was discontinued online and i found one on E-bay, presented like brand new, sealed item. I pay the price, i receive it and was new, mint in the box, but old release. With intention or not on behalf of seller, locomotive is a crap, already i burn one sound decoder till i realize the problem on the frame and all drive train. At the end, like i use to say. It's not stupid the one which ask for a high price, it's stupid who pay it. Locomotive still wait for a solution after more than three years. First one still run happy after hundreds hours. If i can not do nothing, i try already quartering, running just the wheels without linkage. Just remain blocked on track, eat 10000 amps and kill the protection of cab. I just found a intermediate small gear between wheels which remain blocked for unknown reason. I unlock the drivers, run again for a while and same as before. It will land on the side of diorama like scrap metal rusted steamer, abandoned. But at this price (was 180$) look expensive to buy and to reuse just the motor. If any steamer new from them, i will buy only if i am sure is rated with A on Spookshow site.
    I LIKE TO WORK WITH BIG SHIP ENGINES BUT I SPEND MY FREE TIME AROUND N SCALE TRAIN MODELS.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gamitzu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,885 Times in 582 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there may be multiple things going on here.

First, a listing on eBay does not mean it's selling for that price. People could list it at $10,000,000 dollars. If you want to know what things are selling for you have to search completed listings and hopefully have more than a handful. There's always a sucker out there, so just one result could be an anomaly.

But, I'll also tell you, some of the old stuff might go for more than you think for other reasons. For instance, I'm working on a camera locomotive, so I wanted a locomotive, with power pickup, but nothing inside. Basically a "dummy" if you think about how they used to do it in HO. But that does not exist in N scale.

But what does exist are older Life Like units that had a plastic, flat frame with a can motor on top. Remove the can motor, cut off the plastic, and viola, empty interior and the power pickup stays intact. The shell isn't half bad either. So while if I was buying an engine to run I wouldn't give you $0.50 for it, as a platform for a camera it's nearly unobtainum as very few options for that exists.

And, of course, there's always suckers being taken advantage of. Unfortunately some people don't know that's a 20 year old Bachmann train set quality, and not a brand new Kato.
    --
    Leo Bicknell

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bicknell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gamitzu View Post
    i will buy only if i am sure is rated with A on Spookshow site.
    THIS! Well, sometimes a B may work too if you read the details.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 314 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingmeow View Post
    THIS! Well, sometimes a B may work too if you read the details.
    If i am thinking little bit more, almost all Bachman are B. But considering i did not found another one built by another manufacturer, i have to close one eye
    Till now my list it's:
    2-6-6-2
    2-8-8-4
    2-8-0
    2-10-2
    4-6-0
    4-8-4
    2-8-4
    4-6-2
    4-8-2
    I am happy whit them even if was hard to make them run proper. Did not found another provider for this steamers. 2-8-8-4 have suffered a catastrophic failure in first 4 hours of running. A broken crank pin. But thanks to years of building thinks alone in lack of what i need and not found, i was able to make new one in almost two excruciating day of filing and grinding a brass block. now loco is happy again. If second one on right side will die with honor, i will make one also.
    I LIKE TO WORK WITH BIG SHIP ENGINES BUT I SPEND MY FREE TIME AROUND N SCALE TRAIN MODELS.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gamitzu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gamitzu View Post
    If i am thinking little bit more, almost all Bachman are B.
    Well this one is an A. It was on sale so I checked Spookshow and what???, an A???? So I immediately bought two and sure enough they were A's! Very smooth, super quiet and they can crawl! Even better than some of my Atlases.

http://www.spookshow.net/loco/bachs4.html

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Granted a sucker is born every minute, and yes Ebay or any secondary seller can ask what they want with no guarantee of sale I'm just amazed at how much pricing has changed on Bachmann. Their new motive power has reached astronomical pricing, and that is new from the MFG or hobby stores, yes there are some reasonably priced items but new their pricing now rival Kato, Atlas, and other premium brands. As an example the GG1. Unless proven otherwise my money is on Kato not Bachmann, and for the most part the Kato unit are less expensive.
    Another example would be their SD45 which Mark was less than impressed with, again I'd go Kato. How about the SD9? Are you kidding? A little late to the party as well. I have a fair share of Bachmann, some of it good to exceptional like the current GP40, along with some others which I got cheap new, and used. As well I have some crap from the '70s which I've kept for sentimental reasons but don't run unless I want to reminisce, and have a good laugh but it seems now reasonable pricing, and Bachmann can't be said in the same breath. I guess as a result the pricing for vintage items has gone up accordingly I just find it amazing.
    I get where pricing on vintage stuff is high when there were small runs i.e. E-R's Sharknose, LL's Erie Built amongst others but when the market was flooded with thousands with less than stellar quality, really? You can put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig, and I'm thinking Bachmann's marketing department is hitting the glue.
    " You can do anything if you have enthusiasm. With it there is accomplishment, without it there are only alibis " - Henry Ford

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Power Stroke For This Useful Post: