Thread: Gables

Thanks
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gables

Hey all,

Iím having trouble cutting matching gables (or even stand alone ones for that matter) out of basswood. Any tips and tricks? Thanks!

Chad

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,383 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@New

Do you have a picture of the gable you are trying to cut for? What exactly is the problem you are having?
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,369 Times in 521 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To get matching angles and distances on your gables, use something to temporarily fasten the two pieces together. Doing this with basswood may rule out most adhesives, so you might want to try an adhesive transfer tape or thin double sided tape. First, try it on some scrap pieces to make sure you can get it apart after you're done.

Take your pieces and tape them together so the insides are together. Now cut the gables through both pieces. They may not be exact, but both ends will be the same. This will allow you to have the roof on straight.

This kind of tape is available in office supply and craft stores. Look in the section where the scrap-booking supplies are.
    Tim Rumph
    Modeling the Southern Railway in N-Scale

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,965 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume you're referring to a dormer gable where it comes out of the roof at 90*. If not, maybe this will help others. This frustrated me for a long time until I discovered this easy fool proof way. Make the face of the dormer first and position it on the roof where you want it. Then take a piece of card stock and position it against the roof allowing it to fall against the slanted portion of the dormer. Now draw a horizontal line from the point of the dormer to the roof. Repeat this for the lower edge of the dormer roof. After cutting this out you will have a perfect template to transfer on to your roofing material and it will fit the first time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Whiteman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,383 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@New

If, as Michael said, you are trying to figure out a Dornier Gable then it is easy, but I am old fashioned and old school - it's all about the math

1. Firstly cut the face of the Dornier to the size and shape you want.
    2. Next, position the Face on your roof where you want it to go.
    3. Next, measure the distance between the Top of Face back to the roof, ensuring it is a perfectly horizontal measurement.
    4. Cut a piece of bass wood ie 1/8 square, and attach it to the top point of the Face.
    5. Measure the distance between the brace where it connects to the roof (the bit that goes from the face to the roof) to the bottom corner of the face.
    6. Measure the length of one side of the face, the diagonal from top to bottom
    7. Transfer all measurements to your bass wood sheet and cut it out.

That should give you a perfect roof piece for your dornier gable. The measurements will be consistent for all roofs with the same pitch so you can reproduce as many Dorniers as you wish. Hope I haven't confused you and haven't made it sound complex, it really isn't
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies guys! I think i’m getting It. I had started my first ever scratch build a few months ago and then got tied up in things. Getting back to it now and need all the help I can get

Chad

8. The Following User Says Thank You to New For This Useful Post: