Thread: Motor noise

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Motor noise

I've got a few locomotives with screeching motors, a Life Like GP20, a Life Like FA-1, and an Atlas C628. I know that some people have torn the offending locos down and oiled the end bearings of motors. Is this fairly successful? Or is it something that has to be repeated at regular intervals?

Some of my Kato and Atlas locos have a ton of run time and still run perfectly quiet. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm ahead just to try and find replacement motors instead of periodically tearing down engines for re-oiling...

Thanks!

Jeff C

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,856 Times in 778 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leikec View Post
    I'm just trying to figure out if I'm ahead just to try and find replacement motors instead of periodically tearing down engines for re-oiling...
    Why go to all the trouble and expense of replacing the motors if a drop of oil on the bearings will fix the issue? If the oil doesn't fix it, there are other things to consider that won't cost anything and are fairly simple to fix - such as over tightened screws holding the frame halves together or lint/hair/old dry crusty grease/debris in the trucks causing excessive friction/noise. You mentioned motor noise, if this noise is a high pitched squeal it is very likely dry bearings and the oil will likely completely eliminate it. Yes, it does sometimes have to be done every few years, but is an easy fix. If the loco is making a "coffee grinder noise", it's probably the bearing blocks for the worms/drive shafts. Google "beardenize" for more info. The Bearden method may or may not solve the issue, but the cause is the same. I'd only replace the motor as a last resort.
    Bronman - "That's just dumb, D-U-M, dumb."

My Layout Build Thread - The Spokane & Eastern Washington
    - Featuring the Burlington Northern, Union Pacific, Canadian Pacific, Montana Rail Link and Amtrak in Spokane and Eastern Washington in the mid-1990's.

Stuff for Free, Sale, Trade and that I'm looking for.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leikec View Post
    I've got a few locomotives with screeching motors, a Life Like GP20, a Life Like FA-1, and an Atlas C628. I know that some people have torn the offending locos down and oiled the end bearings of motors. Is this fairly successful? Or is it something that has to be repeated at regular intervals?

Some of my Kato and Atlas locos have a ton of run time and still run perfectly quiet. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm ahead just to try and find replacement motors instead of periodically tearing down engines for re-oiling...

Thanks!

Jeff C
    It could be the make. I bought a couple of Life-like loco's on ebay on spec. They too run very loud. Now i avoid Life-like. But more experienced modellers on the forum will know a lot more than me. Hope you work it all out.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VRB60 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Leikec
    Bronman

Join DateDec 2005LocationTri-Cities, WAPosts1,483Blog Entries5Thanks275Thanked 2,803 Times in 767 PostsMentioned40 Post(s)Tagged0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by Leikec
    I'm just trying to figure out if I'm ahead just to try and find replacement motors instead of periodically tearing down engines for re-oiling...

Why go to all the trouble and expense of replacing the motors if a drop of oil on the bearings will fix the issue? If the oil doesn't fix it, there are other things to consider that won't cost anything and are fairly simple to fix - such as over tightened screws holding the frame halves together or lint/hair/old dry crusty grease/debris in the trucks causing excessive friction/noise. You mentioned motor noise, if this noise is a high pitched squeal it is very likely dry bearings and the oil will likely completely eliminate it. Yes, it does sometimes have to be done every few years, but is an easy fix.

Totally agree, but to be honest, I keep a few new motors stashed.
    I have some (3) Life-Like E6 (AB) sets.
    Love 'em

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donzi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 351 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'screeching' is always dried-out motor bearings, not to be confused with other motor racket.

I have several high-mileage Kato units that have had to be oiled, once or twice, as a result of screeching and that's been the end of it. It's not something you have to do maybe more than annually. I can't remember the last time I had to do it, actually. I use LaBelle 108.
    Randgust N scale kits web page at www.randgust.com

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to randgust For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by randgust View Post
    'screeching' is always dried-out motor bearings, not to be confused with other motor racket.

I have several high-mileage Kato units that have had to be oiled, once or twice, as a result of screeching and that's been the end of it. It's not something you have to do maybe more than annually. I can't remember the last time I had to do it, actually. I use LaBelle 108.
    I'll give that a try when I get a chance to tear them down. Are you still doing custom painting?

Jeff C

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After just reading this thread, I took the shell off an Atlas GP40-2 that sounded like a jet engine starting up, put a drop of oil on each worm gear and then ran it back and forth a few minutes at slow speed. It's so quiet now you can hardly hear it. The whole process took ten minutes. Definitely worth the time to try before replacing the motor.

Tom

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tom4884 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom4884 View Post
    After just reading this thread, I took the shell off an Atlas GP40-2 that sounded like a jet engine starting up, put a drop of oil on each worm gear and then ran it back and forth a few minutes at slow speed. It's so quiet now you can hardly hear it. The whole process took ten minutes. Definitely worth the time to try before replacing the motor.

Tom
    What oil did you use?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did the same, took apart the loco's, cleaned and lubed them. Much less noise in all of them, running very smoothly. I used a plastic compatible light lubricant oil.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cedarbarnbuilder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VRB60 View Post
    What oil did you use?
    I use LaBelle 108, has a real fine applicator tip and is made to work with plastic as well as metal. One drop is all you need.

Tom
    The only thing worse than failure is failure to try!

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tom4884 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, much appreciated.