Thanks,
    Wolf

Thanks
    Thanked 3,467 Times in 498 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Messed with the fire truck again today. Put a brighter shade of orange on the end of the ladder, painted the signboard on the sides of the ladders to match the body (was going to just match it with decal) and installed the windows after smoking the side windows by painting one side with flat black, then installing that side to the inside of the cab, allowing the "clean" side on the exterior.

117105488_10219034849155795_8744010965458408837_o.jpg

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tubes.jpg

Made a Home Depot run. Found these heavy tubes in a garbage can. I'm going cut them down and try to make a few water tanks,....or two of the tallest n scale grain silo's in the world.

Picked up a 52 cent metal straight edge and a few corner braces for a buck apiece that I thought would make good gluing jigs. Decided to go with 1/4 inch subroadbed rather than 1/2, since I'm only doing 2 x 4, I don't think it's going to get that heavy. Then the neighbor threw out a few big pieces of bead styrofoam from something they bought, so that I grabbed it, just in case.

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to rhikdavis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,038 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Silent1961 View Post
    The plywood purchased in February curled on
    Wondering how that happened. Was it lying on a damp basement floor? If so it might unwarp back again. At least the laminations didn't separate.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 825 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NtheBasement View Post
    Wondering how that happened. Was it lying on a damp basement floor? If so it might unwarp back again. At least the laminations didn't separate.
    I've been having issues from time to time with wood products from Home Depot recently. They changed suppliers locally here and the quality has deteriorated while the price increased. A sheet of plywood 3 years old stored with this sheet is fine. I think the moisture content exceeded the 18% and curled as it dried while stored on edge.
    Grant.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silent1961 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,366 Times in 2,726 Posts
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been having issues from time to time with wood products from Home Depot recently. They changed suppliers locally here and the quality has deteriorated while the price increased.
    That's saying something for HD, as their lumber products are about a 6 or 7 on a scale of 10 to begin with. I try not to buy wood from the one in town here, as they are purportedly a "clearance" store for all the stuff that doesn't sell in Pugetopolis. Thankfully there are two independent lumber stores in the area.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I can say is "Wow!" Those are little gems. ...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 838 Posts
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, HD has crappy wood. Lowes is better but nothing is better than a local, reliable lumber yard. A lot of the HD plywood comes from China. Inconsistent and err on the bad side of quality. A few years ago there was an uproar in the cabinetry world when HD's expensive birch "furniture grade" ply started to delaminated soon after purchase, after the cabinets have been built!

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,409 Times in 587 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Paul Schmidt

Thank you, so very much!!

Wolf

Thanks
    Thanked 1,094 Times in 360 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been so long that I can't remember if I started a build thread yet. After working 60 to 70 hours a week since the beginning of March, I managed to find an opportunity to start work on the new layout this past week. I actually got started on the main level benchwork. The plywood purchased in February curled on me so I've had to cut it in sections to lay reasonably flat. I have the holes for the wiring drilled in but until I get the entire benchwork completed I won't glue the sub roadbed down so I can clamp the next sections in place before securing them with screws and carriage bolts. Long ways to go until I start laying track. The disappointment over the past 4 months is not only missing out on time for the hobby, but since I'm salaried, there was no financial benefit which would support additional acquisitions.
    Lumber always has a way of adding a twist to the build. Hopefully you can get it to rest for a nice flat consistent surface. Do you plan to keep the top shelf for storage. I tried that and many times when someone needed something above my layout they couldn't wait until I was home to retrieve and made quite a mess often.

I look forward to more progress.
    John

Thanks
    Thanked 1,094 Times in 360 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I made some progress. I installed the Cobalt turnout motors and the momentary push button switches on each side of the module. I don't care to go into the 100 degree garage to hook it up for testing so will have to wait.
    John

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jhn_plsn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 825 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jhn_plsn View Post
    Lumber always has a way of adding a twist to the build. Hopefully you can get it to rest for a nice flat consistent surface. Do you plan to keep the top shelf for storage. I tried that and many times when someone needed something above my layout they couldn't wait until I was home to retrieve and made quite a mess often.

I look forward to more progress.
    The top shelf is temporary storage. The room I was using originally for the hobby was also a "lets store anything we don't need right now" room. However, when the Covid 19 lock down occurred in March, I had to move everything from the room to create an office space for the wife so she could work from home. This shelf was a quick fix to the sudden challenge. This will actually be an upper deck. It's high enough that I can go around all 4 walls but my son in law, who is 6'6", won't smack his head entering through the doorway.

The wife just changed jobs 2 weeks ago. She went into the workplace for one day and is back working from home again. So none of it is moving back into the room. I need to go through everything to see what can be thrown out. What's left will be under the main deck once I finish the benchwork and organize a storage solution. I still need floor space to move around during this construction phase.
    Grant.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silent1961 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been having issues from time to time with wood products from Home Depot recently. They changed suppliers locally here and the quality has deteriorated while the price increased. A sheet of plywood 3 years old stored with this sheet is fine. I think the moisture content exceeded the 18% and curled as it dried while stored on edge.
    I work at HD, my last day in Customer Service was yesterday and I am moving over to plumbing. Having worked in the home building industry in Texas, and a custom cabinetry shop (all over 14 years ago...) I understand the issue with lumber and building materials. Currently here in Tennessee there is a lumber shortage and we are unable to keep the lumber area fully stocked.

Here is my advice regarding anything with HD. If there is a problem with it return it to the store for a refund. If you paid cash and do not have a receipt you can get store credit. Be sure you take your ID with you. If you paid with a CC the computer system knows what was purchased with that card and you will get the $ back to your card, if you paid with Debit and still have the same card you can choose to have it refunded to your card or receive cash in return. HD no hassle return policy is just that, you should not get hassled about returning something. (unless it is tinted paint, or a gasoline powered item after 30 days then it is a manufacturer warranty issue.) If you are returning lumber there should not be any problem, happens everyday when people buy too much and return it to the store. The policy was 90 days for most items but with COVID they extended that out to 180 days. If the employee does not want to return the item ask to speak with their Lead, Department Head, ASM (assistant store manager) MOD (Manager on Duty) or Store Manager. Explain that the lumber was properly stored and did not perform to the basic expected standard of that product type, it is a manufactures defective item. They should refund your money and if the item is defective RTV (Return To Vendor) the item so it is not sold to someone else.

21. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Cedarbarnbuilder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 838 Posts
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's great info @Cedarbarnbuilder. Thank you! I didn't know you can bring back lumber if you stored it proper for a week and it warps like heck.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,157 Times in 4,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mr. Moose resurrect Mrs. Moose's old laptop which had been running - barely - at a snails pace (slow, very slow) for quite a while.

Now it runs decently and will become dedicated to the train room. Yeah!

Moose just finished loading JMRI. Now to figure out how to arrange the computer for easy use in train room ... Stay tuned!
    = >

~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..." "Reading is for morons who can't understand pictures..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

25. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2013 View Post
    Mr. Moose resurrect Mrs. Moose's old laptop which had been running - barely - at a snails pace (slow, very slow) for quite a while. https://www.nscale.net/forums/mysmil...milie_2530.gif

Now it runs decently and will become dedicated to the train room. Yeah!
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/mysmil...milie_2524.gif

Moose just finished loading JMRI. Now to figure out how to arrange the computer for easy use in train room ... Stay tuned!
    Ahem, @Moose2013, aren't you forgetting something, hmmm???

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,157 Times in 4,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    Ahem, @Moose2013, aren't you forgetting something, hmmm???

Whoops! Ummm, this isn't the post you're looking for. Move along. Move along...
    = >

~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..." "Reading is for morons who can't understand pictures..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,730 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think @Moose2013 owes himself a stampede!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,460 Times in 276 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Modeling the Pacific Electric Playa Desnuda Branch in N Scale

33. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bremner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I received the order of three Oil Pump Jacks from Shapeways. Very impressed with the detail. One coat of Mission Models Black... Once dry I will add some yellow to the valves. Also, here are two wrecked boxcars, one a shell and one with the door cut off which will become a couple of hobo camp scenes. Also received some boxcars from the Evil Water Inlet to add to my boxcar train...

35. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Cedarbarnbuilder For This Useful Post: