Thanks
    Thanked 2,454 Times in 550 Posts
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by K_DUB09 View Post
    man, everything on here is awesome. I like those run-down houses you did
    Thanks! I was trying to make the town look like it has seen better days.
    Cheers!
    Clayton

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoNW View Post
    Layout looks great!

Just wondering a couple things.
    How are you going to blend the tan and gray tracks?
    I’m a little fuzzy on how you converted the switches to manual. The second generation switch motor looks kinda like this…

https://www.nscale.net/forums/attach...2&d=1320460666

That is a manual one I converted to remote by wrapping armature wire around the dog bones. The metal pieces are common to manual and remote switches. They “lock/snap” the points into position by attracting the square magnet. The oldest tan switches had an external three wire motor just like Atlas. Did you just pull them out?
    Well Hello there! Long time since I seen you post on here. Thanks for the comment about the Tomix tracks. Between you and R D Kerr’s Blog on train web.org. http://www.trainweb.org/tomix/index.htm
    The both of you inspired me to use the Tomix tracks especially whenever I couldn’t find the exact tracks that I was looking for the other options. Plus the lower profile of the ballast and the tie spacing looks much more realistic than it’s competition.

As for as blending the old tracks with the new ones, I haven’t decided to make it happen anytime soon. The only switches that I converted, which was easy to do. Was the double curve, the two triple turnouts and the PR280-30. The wide turnout and the double curved point are the older Tomix turnouts with the motors being on the side of the tracks like the atlas tracks. Those were just an unsnap from the tracks. The triple points is the newest version with the motors underneath in its own casing, not like the one that you have in your photo. They also were easy to remove from the points. They also has manual controls on them. The other points are all the newest version manual only turnouts. The older brown tracks I acquired from @jugtownmodler and the rest of the tracks I ordered from Banzai hobbies in Japan. It was a whole lot cheaper to buy directly from Japan than shop eBay or from any of the hobby shops here in the USA. Yes, I ordered bulk. Whenever the pandemic was in full swing, they shipped the package by ship!! It took a good three months to receive them which was great since there wasn’t any flights to the USA carrying mail.
    Cheers!
    Clayton

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MoPac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,313 Times in 4,637 Posts
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My life fell apart that’s why I disappeared. As I read through this post, I saw a couple of places where I could have helped more.

I asked about the switches because those little steel dogbones are important to both manual and remote switches. If the “motor” you removed looks like https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/10032058 then you may have a problem at some time in the future. All the current switches use this motor those little steel bars are important to keep the points locked in position. That’s why the manual ones have them. In the remotes, the coiled wire turns them into magnets that repel and attract the square magnet moving the points. The steel latches the points, so they don’t move on their own and they spring back into place if a train goes through the opposite way. The plastic plug keeps debris from fouling the mechanics. So even if you snip the wire (it can be reattached to that circuitboard) you should leave them in. Yes that little handle moves the points but they don’t lock them in place if the bones aren’t there.

As to the ballast, the second most radical thing to do is totally cover it up…

Those are tan tracks under that white Art Sand held in place by 50/50 glue with black Tempera mixed in. This was my option for an updated Chicagoland layout as the C&NW used Pink Lady Granite for ballast and the CTA uses limestone for theirs. Not to mention the other twenty plus roads that go into the city.

Or you could just tint the ballast with a paint wash. It doesn’t change tan to gray but it does make it less noticeable…

Again I used diluted black Tempra dribbled onto the track, no glue though. In both cases I used the Floquil Rail Rust markers to color the rails. I use all three colors at the same time, overlapping the strokes to blend and give a mottled look. I think painting everything one color looks just as unrealistic as undetailed track.

In between those is to just modify the areas where the two colors of ballast are right next to each other. At those points, I’d “blend” the two. No, melting is not the answer. But using a ballast to cover and soften the edges where the two colors meet. Kato loose ballast is a pretty good color match. You only need to place the “new” ballast over the old tan at the intersections. Making it look like some areas needed more maintenance. Being messy and uneven is a plus. It will look like the track gang tried to blend the new over the old.

The most radical and maybe insane thing to do is outright paint the tracks. Between masking the rails and electrical parts and repainting the ties, truly only madness could ensue. Especially when trying to fix all the problems caused by seeping paint.

My favorite pusher is I would buy from them all the time. Do you have a link to yours?
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh, all my comments on the dog bones concern the newer type switches. The older Atlas style ones don’t work that way. You shouldn’t have any problems pulling the motor off.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all, I am so sorry that you had to go through what you had faced with in your life.

Since my Triple points are the only ones that had motor turnouts(except for the old versions on the other two turnouts).I noticed the problem with derailment whenever the trains entered the yard limit. So I used bamboo skewers to hold the manual throw portion in place. This works extremely well! Especially whenever I need to do switching in the yard. I would remove the pieces needed then replace whenever I am done. They are low enough to not impact the movement of the trains. Thanks for the tip for blending the two different color tracks together. Here’s the photo of the skewers In place. I chopped it off just a few millimeters higher than the throw. So I can grab it with my pliers for removal during switching operations. They are set for the middle track in the yard for both end. So far no more derailments over a year now.
    .604D698B-0FA4-483E-AEF8-027CBA183CBB.jpg45B4E615-F636-4069-80C3-A2ED77331971.jpg9AED3C0E-ED79-47F9-B2C3-CCB07542ADF2.jpg
    Cheers!
    Clayton

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MoPac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There was some good in the collapse. I got back into CHICAGO before the rest of the world fell apart. Though I did lose everything but Archer Heights. You may have even bought some of my tracks. The person storing it said they were giving it to charity since I couldn’t get back for it.

That top shelf is packed with track. Those totes are packed solid. There was three of them.

You should try swapping in the dummy motors into your 3ways to see if you don’t need hold them in place. Then snip the wire, leave just a tiny bit so you can reattach them correctly later.

Just to let you know, the plugs use standard spacing so you can use a circuitboard connector to plug them into your control board.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ouch! Sorry to hear about that! Good thing is that you still have some items.

Now, as for as replacing the motors. This will be difficult to do since every row of track in the yard is wired and I have the two triples secured to the layout. As for I have mentioned, I never intended to make this layout automated with the points. I want it to be an hands on operating layout. To be honest, having 14. Yes, 14 turnouts on my door layout, this would have taken too much space even for toggle switches. In this small spare bedroom. Granted I have enough room to walk around the layout. With my desk that I use mainly for putting kits together or making minor fixes/repairs from the regular CATstrophy. The grassy area between the Waffle House and the metal distribution center. My buddy Jenks will lay down there whenever he is bored and I am in bed. Or sometimes he will join me just to watch trains from there. My laptop and my DCS52 also sits on the desktop. Although I don’t use the controller for operating the trains, that’s what my iPhone is for. With the help of the LNWi WiFi and the WiThrottle app. Which makes everything so much easier to enjoy!

Well here’s a photo of my new project, it’s a kit that I special requested from Rollysrailroadmodels it’s kit#3506 Walnut Grove School House. I spoke with him about this after Christmas and he designed it from the photos of the old tv series. I will be posting this on here after completing. I also have to give him a detailed response and review for the kit. Since this might become an available kit for everyone soon. I had a train show this last weekend so I was all over the place.
    8F364DC6-481E-4817-A586-FE64352C137A.jpg
    Cheers!
    Clayton

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MoPac For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I did finally get around to finish the Walnut Grove school kit from Rollys Railroad models. https://www.ebay.com/str/rollysrailroadmodels
    The story goes, last year I asked my wife what kind of building I should place on my layout. Well since she has noticed a lot of things that are a lot different from what a small town looks like here from the ones in France. Well she told me that small towns here have a lot of churches. I told her that she was right. Then I asked her what kind of church should I put on the layout? First she joked and said one of those that was bigger than the schools. I told her that it wouldn’t fit due to the size. She mentioned another one like the one that I already have. I mentioned that it wasn’t a good kit to put together because it wasn’t square. Then she said how about the one on little house on the prairie? I mentioned that there wasn’t any in production. But I told her that I know someone who would probably be interested in creating the church/school. So right after Christmas I got ahold of Roland, he told me that this would be a great challenge for him to create and he will get back to me whenever he could get started on it. Although he was busy at the time making kits for an upcoming show and he had two different requests ahead of me. I told him to take his time to design it. So by the middle of last month he told me that he was finally finished with the kit design. I informed him I will pay him at the first of the month. Well Saturday I received the kit from him. Although I was currently dealing with an club train show in Mobile,Alabama. I started on this kit by Monday and finished it Tuesday. The time consuming part of the kit was the freelanced stain glass windows I decided to paint on it. Although it’s not prototypical to the church in little house. I wanted to make it somewhat different. As for as the assembly of the kit itself.it was fairly easy. I also added a brass bell and I cut two small squarish pieces for the lanterns at the front door. He did inform me about the doors four small windows were hard to cut out and would be difficult for someone to place it without breaking the wood piece. Due to the fragility of it. Also during the construction phase I went back and forth to websites that had the walnut grove church. I also asked for my wife’s opinion on it. Because she really loves the show. Even whenever I put the stain glass in, she said it wasn’t correct but it really looked great. Well I guess that I will post some photos of my work and the finished product.

62EAFA9A-E371-4840-B224-74A597BBE987.jpg1BE233A7-836B-4BA2-A522-65114C90E871.jpgCC436E22-B672-4986-82BF-18580EC749B8.jpgEBB486D7-B0F2-4A57-B282-0F1065430893.jpgF51F77E8-E3B0-488F-9DF3-66EB690AED74.jpg16206B79-E31F-4CB1-9844-3933FD12E99C.jpgD093433B-08B7-4919-A885-5A240BFA4DF5.jpg9554ACFD-258A-465D-B235-0D03B54658B1.jpg
    Cheers!
    Clayton

15. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MoPac For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,930 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nice build. Especially in a day.
    Grant.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Silent1961 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,019 Times in 1,640 Posts
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That really came out nice! And memories.......
    Northern Pacific and Black Hills RR in N, of course!!
    Aian, CEO, COO, Engineer, Gopher and everything else!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to badlandnp For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,102 Times in 2,963 Posts
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nicely done! Now if you can find a way to set it into the layout, so it doesn't look like it is just set on top. (I realize it is just posed for photos right now)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by el Gato Gordo View Post
    Nicely done! Now if you can find a way to set it into the layout, so it doesn't look like it is just set on top. (I realize it is just posed for photos right now)
    Well the area is only temporary until I find a place for it. I refuse to glue it down to the layout. I don’t want it to be destroyed. Because of the repeated CATastrophes from my buddy Jenks laying down on the green field in the middle of the layout. He will tend to move things around whenever he is sleeping there.
    Cheers!
    Clayton

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoPac For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Silent1961 View Post
    Nice build. Especially in a day.
    Thanks! Silent1961 !
    Cheers!
    Clayton

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by badlandnp View Post
    That really came out nice! And memories.......
    Thank you badlandnp! I just need some people resembling the characters from little house on the prairie now. ��
    Cheers!
    Clayton

25. The Following User Says Thank You to MoPac For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey everyone! Sorry I haven’t been posting too much lately. No, I haven’t strayed from Nscale nor stopped adding to my layout. Actually I have been quite busy with adding some more details to my layout here and there. Especially the movie and tv show items that are on the layout. Besides the Back to the Future and the Batman cars. I also have Herbie the love bug, the only little house on the prairie church/school. Since then I have added another loading dock opposite of the other one. Placed ballast in the yard and between the grade crossing and the depot. Next to the depot is a section house for the railroad workers. Which similar to the depot. They are both designed and used by the Missouri Pacific railroad. Here’s some photos of the layout. If I can figure out how to post a video I will. If not, I will post a link later on from my TikTok account.

F15F2D1F-8CCB-4D4D-9E7F-F5C0112BCBE1.jpgE530888C-CC3A-4BF9-B944-075B5947BC3B.jpgEA2830EB-8F8C-4DCA-8292-762612B1851E.jpg0273DF47-358D-4448-834C-C08084A4FB58.jpg95B001B5-C5EA-4A17-A6FA-2FF71B44323A.jpgA3AED571-A19A-42D2-9E27-D069BEA8C7C9.jpg33CA8F35-DAB0-4B19-9EA0-3AD8A7B69375.jpg6EA8F59E-9838-4171-A65D-5291D5ACF393.jpgBEE5EF15-9DAF-4170-846F-A53B434CF825.jpg1AEAE12E-371E-42C1-9FC2-25012376D0B1.jpg
    Cheers!
    Clayton

27. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to MoPac For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here’s a new video for my layout. It’s a link to my TikTok account.
    https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRyX8P3L/
    Cheers!
    Clayton

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MoPac For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it looks like Bea’s nightclub has officially opened up upstairs from the trackside tavern bar. Looks like things are getting a little out of hand around back. Plus one of the ladies up front is waiting for her date to come and pick her up. While another one is escorted by an nice gentleman.
    C441F3A9-3E12-470B-BE6C-8707E3BF0675.jpgCCAC45A7-9EBA-4427-8DC6-67555FCC8B4B.jpg2D2D8CF9-CC2A-4162-88E4-FE48A30EBF9B.jpg1C81A38B-D60F-4CCC-A8D5-B8FFF733B232.jpg0D1E43A3-3489-406D-B687-32F4E9C36541.jpgB4AD596D-F3E7-4EE8-9818-9C0E19044B2C.jpgF91E0676-2D0F-42ED-BAF6-9DCE47C72C9C.jpg0B043076-6139-4FC2-8E76-BD2632DB5360.jpg7AF5C808-CEF0-44D2-8FCC-0FC379BD74A1.jpg
    Cheers!
    Clayton

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MoPac For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MoPac View Post
    Well it looks like Bea’s nightclub has officially opened up upstairs from the trackside tavern bar. Looks like things are getting a little out of hand around back. Plus one of the ladies up front is waiting for her date to come and pick her up. While another one is escorted by an nice gentleman.
    C441F3A9-3E12-470B-BE6C-8707E3BF0675.jpgCCAC45A7-9EBA-4427-8DC6-67555FCC8B4B.jpg2D2D8CF9-CC2A-4162-88E4-FE48A30EBF9B.jpg1C81A38B-D60F-4CCC-A8D5-B8FFF733B232.jpg0D1E43A3-3489-406D-B687-32F4E9C36541.jpgB4AD596D-F3E7-4EE8-9818-9C0E19044B2C.jpgF91E0676-2D0F-42ED-BAF6-9DCE47C72C9C.jpg0B043076-6139-4FC2-8E76-BD2632DB5360.jpg7AF5C808-CEF0-44D2-8FCC-0FC379BD74A1.jpg
    wooowee @MoPac , what's next a crime scene cleanup ? lol you should set up one of the bikes riding a wheelie or doing a smoky burnout . that would be cool .

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobo1160 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,102 Times in 2,963 Posts
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should use Lexel clear silicon adhesive to secure figures. It only takes the tiniest bit and then disappears. Apply with a toothpick, just barely enough to be visible.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This looks like it will be a fun layout!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to bigfoot21075 For This Useful Post: