Thread: Finally! A Buildable, Affordable Hulett Unloader

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Finally! A Buildable, Affordable Hulett Unloader

The new Hulett Unloader is built from 12 3D printed subassemblies that require no special modeling skills besides gluing together a few parts. Read below for the history of the Huletts on the Great Lakes.

Rather than hundreds of .015 styrene parts that had to be removed from a styrene sheet, laminated together, and then assembled into dozens of subassemblies, the new Hulett kit is composed of 12 subassemblies, many of them one or two pieces, such as the base and base tails (too long for the 3D printer) that used to be at least 40 parts and the single piece tower that used to be at least 20 parts.

The base is equipped with 4 D bogies or 16 wheels in total. These are Micro Trains Z scale wheelsets that snap into the 3D printed bogies, so the Huletts can travel parallel to the dock side on ready-to-run Z scale tracks (not supplied).

The tower assembly has two A bogies and two C bogies or eight wheels in total. These run on code 40 rails (supplied) that must be gauged for the wheelsets. A track gauge is supplied to make this easier for inexperienced modelers. The tower assembly moved forward so that the bucket extended over the ships hold, descended into the hold for a ten-ton load, then raised and moved backwards to drop the load into a weighing car, which then dropped the load into the Larry [sic] car which traveled over the loading tracks. A single Hulett could load up to eight tracks.

For more details, see https://nscaleships.com/n-z-scale-sh...atic-unloader/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pnolan48; 11th Sep 2020 at 07:36 PM. Reason: images not working

Thanks
    Thanked 10,124 Times in 3,545 Posts
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ore-hauling N scalers the world over are rejoicing!

Pretty cool, Pete!
    Southern Railway Slate Fork Branch: https://realisticmodelrailroading.ne...-fork-branch-n

"The number of model railroads I have seen covered with the dust of apathy is directly related to the number of modelers who told me that they weren't interested in operation." -- Tony Koester

Rule #1: The worst excuse for ignorance and complacency.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to The Ol' Curmudgeon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    Ore-hauling N scalers the world over are rejoicing!

Pretty cool, Pete!
    I hope others will find it too cool to resist. A bit of history: I first built a Hulett back in 2015 or so. I used original drawings from the Library of Congress's "important engineering" archive. I've forgotten the exact site. I will leave the instructions for the kit on-line for my amusement. I never listed a price for a completed model because I didn't want to build it.

But I had a terrific customer who wanted two of them. I had built two of them from the kit and, while eminently buildable when following the instructions, they took forever. They were cut from .015 styrene because I couldn't get the details I wanted with .020 styrene. .015 styrene even when laminated to become .03 styrene was a bit flimsy. The kit took a whole day on my 18" wide cutter and it was very hard to find the correct cutting pressure and speed.

I had found that converting all my 2D drawings to 3D models was not very difficult unless I faced the multi-dimensional complex curves of a hull. For rectilinear pieces it was a relative snap. So I converted the Hulett into 3D and by trial and error found the best way to print it. I think it takes about 20 hours of printing time (perhaps even more) for the various assemblies. But it is now very buildable, like the big manufacturers' kits. The only finicky spots were fitting the eight bearings into the pre-made holes, laying the tracks on the top of the platform, and gluing on the railings and stairs. I will make a video soon about forming the stairways, which is made easier with an HVAC seamer (about $50 at a big box store but incredibly useful for many tasks) and very sharp long tweezers. I've included a track gauge (useful for laying rails on top of the platform in the kit.)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pnolan48 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,915 Times in 1,180 Posts
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may have to expand my layout.
    Moving coal the old way: https://youtu.be/RWJVt4r_pgc
    Moving coal the new way: https://youtu.be/QzmBQ4As_mc

Thanks
    Thanked 1,283 Times in 508 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats nice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have made ten kits and already sold five at $189. That's certainly not a killing (I'm retired; if not, I'd still need my day job.) I have three printers capable of printing the larger parts; I'm lucky to have two of them in service on any day. As the printers age, they develop maladies that are sometimes easy to fix and at other times damn frustrating to diagnose. So one of the three printers is now a source for replacement parts. These are Monoprice Ultimate Printers--basically a Wanhao Duplicator 6 that has been rebadged. All sorts of upgrades are available, but I am so snowed under that I haven't educated myself enough to pursue any one of them.