Thread: New guy Peco/Atlas track question

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New guy Peco/Atlas track question

Hello everyone

First time posting, really enjoy this forum, lots of useful info here...

Jumping back into N after 9 yrs in HO. I have 20ish Peco code 80 turnouts I never used from years ago. However I really, really like the looks of Atlas code 55. Is there a way to use them together. I know the Peco is taller/thicker. What about some kind of sub-roadbed under the Atlas 55 to match them up? Has anyone done this? I realize the tie spacing and rail height may look a bit awkward but I don't want to sell the Peco turnouts. I recall them being more reliable than Atlas. I assume Peco 55 and Peco 80 can be used easily together since the 55 is just 80 embedded farther into the ties, correct? This would be my last choice as I prefer the Atlas tie spacing much better. Any thoughts/advice are much appreciated! Thanks!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sonicreducer For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am pretty sure that I saw some 'transition track' sections available (I think from Atlas) which, as I understand it, a half-length tangent track that has one end code 55 and the other code 80.

However I could be wrong about what 'transition track' actually is.
    "High speed service on nickel plated rails!"

Thanks
    Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,261 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are a couple of methods for joining code 80 to code 55 rail. One is pre-made "transition" rail joiners like this:

http://www.fiferhobby.com/wp-content...s/ME26-004.jpg

One end goes on the code 80 rail, the other on the code 55, and the rail tops line up.

Another way is to fit a normal rail joiner on the code 80 rail, then use small pliers to flatten the other end into a little shelf, and solder the code 55 rail on top of that shelf. Either way, you want the rail tops to be as close to the same height as you can.

The other potential thing at the joint between Peco and Atlas track is the thickness of the ties themselves. I don't have both types of track on hand to compare, so this might not be an issue... but I suspect it is because Peco ties are pretty thick. By the time you ballast the track I'm not even sure if it will be a problem, but you could always put some kind of a shim (like thin styrene) under the track with the thinner ties if you need to.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OTFan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can also use a piece of Peco C55 with it's double flanges in between the C80 and the Atlas and grind off the lower flange of the Peco C55 at the end where it meets the Atlas C55. A lot of options, all of them work fine

Hope this helps,
    Heiko

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To transistion from Atlas code 55 to Atlas code 80 to my hidden staging I flattened the rail joiners and soldered the rails as mentioned above. I have regular cork road bed under the code 55 track and used thinner cork that comes in a rolled sheet (gasket material at an auto parts store or try a Michaels Hobby Lobby as well i forget where I got it) under the code 80. Just make sure when you solder that everything is lined up correctly. I've had zero problems with this transition over the last 9 years.

20200916_104049.jpg

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bman For This Useful Post: