Thread: Kato E6 with sound

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Kato E6 with sound

I just got a preorder announcement for the Kato E6 with ESU sound. I have two of the original Zepher sets and one extra E6. I hope I can put whatever decoder they have into my E6s. I've been avoiding a hard wire solution.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,765 Times in 1,664 Posts
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great! I was surprised to see your post in the Diesel subforum, though. I don't think diesels go that fast....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phhphd View Post
    I just got a preorder announcement for the Kato E6 with ESU sound. I have two of the original Zepher sets and one extra E6. I hope I can put whatever decoder they have into my E6s. I've been avoiding a hard wire solution.
    I'll preface this with the disclaimer that I haven't seen the Kato notice yet, but if done as Kato has before, then they use the LokSound 5 Micro DCC or LokSound 5 Micro. They are hard wired in and a "custom" install done by Duford Model Works. There is no separately available decoder, if you want one for your extra E6s you will either have to do it yourself, find a decoder installer (Duford does custom installs for individuals as well) or purchase extra E6 units and switch shells.

https://www.facebook.com/dufordmodelworks
    Last edited by reinhardtjh; 16th Sep 2020 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Clarification
    John H. Reinhardt
    PRRT&HS #8909
    C&O HS #11530
    N-Trak #7566

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,765 Times in 379 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reinhardtjh View Post
    I'll preface this with the disclaimer that I haven't seen the Kato notice yet, but if done as Kato has before, then they use the LokSound 5 Micro DCC or LokSound 5 Micro. They are hard wired in and a "custom" install done by Duford Model Works. There is no separately available decoder, if you want one for your extra E6s you will either have to do it yourself, find a decoder installer (Duford does custom installs for individuals as well) or purchase extra E6 units and switch shells.

You can go with XL sound decoder, ex MRC is drop in, not loksound or zimo quality, but is okay.
    I LIKE TO WORK WITH BIG SHIP ENGINES BUT I SPEND MY FREE TIME AROUND N SCALE TRAIN MODELS.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,765 Times in 379 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This one:
    http://xlsystemsdcc.com/product/0001645/
    Sound okay, but i remove the spkr and replace with 11x16 loksound sugar cube.
    http://store.sbs4dcc.com/ESU50321Sug...ndChamber.aspx
    Here is the post, is a E5, but all share the same frame inside:
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showth...-for-Kato-E8-9
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GnQFO6AU8Q
    I LIKE TO WORK WITH BIG SHIP ENGINES BUT I SPEND MY FREE TIME AROUND N SCALE TRAIN MODELS.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reinhardtjh View Post

This is correct.

As Kato doesn't make a E6, I'm assuming we are either referring to the upcoming NYC E7 or the rerun of E5 Silver Streak Zephyr sets. In either case, the conversion is the same.

In either case, they would both be receiving LokSound V5 micros. In order to accomodate this, the frame is machined for an 11x15 sugarcube speaker, the lightboard is modified and the decoder soldered in.

The previous E5's and E8/9's received LokSound Select micros until discontinued then transitioned to the V5 micros.

One thing to keep in mind with the shell swap method mentioned above is the upcoming NYC E7's have a SMLED for the headlight and different light shield so things may not line up correctly if just swapping the shell on one of the E8's or E5's.

Anywhoo...hope this helps!

Kelley.
    www.dufordmodelworks.com

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nightmare0331 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, it was the new Zephyr set that was advertised. I tried the MRC sound decoder on four E8s. On the A unit, the front of the shell will not go all the way down. The speaker holds it up. I tried to carefully remove some roof plastic but never got it sit down. I sounds as if it's going to be a lot of work to put sound in my current Zephyr diesels.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phhphd
    On the A unit, the front of the shell will not go all the way down. The speaker holds it up.
    to fit the MRC decoder in my E5 Silver Bullet

1. I removed the rubber gasket/sticker from under the speaker. There was still enough glue left on the speaker to stick it to the PCB and it didn't make the sound any worse.

2. I replaced the 3mm LED with a 2mm LED and shortened the legs. The original was too far forward to properly shine through the light pipe and, when the leads were shortened, the roof would no longer go down.

regards
    Rob

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobPle4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I put my decoders in backwards. Mine have the speaker in the front, where the light is. Was the decoder I have replaced with a newer model? Patrick

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phhphd View Post
    Maybe I put my decoders in backwards. Mine have the speaker in the front, where the light is. Was the decoder I have replaced with a newer model? Patrick
    Hm.. it seems the Kato E8 uses the same MRC decoder as the P42. Maybe the E5 decoder would fit better?
    regards
    Rob

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so.. confusion reigns in my old head.
    http://xlsystemsdcc.com/product-category/n-scale/

The Decoder in my E5 is the MRC XL 0001957 except that it has two electrolytic capacitors at the head end instead of one. You know, I think I just bought it based on the assumption that it would fit because the light board in the F7 appeared identical to the lightboard in the E5.
    The P42/E8/E9 decoder , XL 0001645 PCB is larger and has a LED at each end, but does the E8 need a rear LED? The body certainly seems very similar to the E5 and the E8 is listed among the sound selections in the XL 0001957. In fact the one sound that isn't listed is the E5.
    regards
    Rob