Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend Update (18th Sep 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Weekend Update (18th Sep 2020)

Please update us on the progress you have made on your MRR projects this week (commencing: 18th Sep 2020).

This weekly thread is to post little snippets about your layout/project progress.
    This is not be a substitute for your layout build thread, but just a mini update on what you got done for the week.

You can link from your layout build thread to your posts in this thread as a part of a more extensive post there, or visa-versa (post to your build thread and link to that post when contributing to this thread.

Click on a post's #number (right-hand end of the post header) to get the URL to that particular post in your browsers address bar.
    Copy and paste this as needed.

So, fellow nSn'ers, what have you been up to this week?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,534 Times in 504 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wasn't completely happy with the color my rendition of Gettysburg Truck 1 turned out, so I went about looking for something closer. I found it in a bottle of Createx Fluorescent Yellow. Removed the decals I had already applied, retaped everything and here's the final result. I'm not sure I could get any closer at this point.

20200916_183850[1].jpg20200916_222321[1].jpg

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESU LokSound v5 micro in a Kato GS-4. Tiny parts everywhere! Have another I did with a Soundtraxx Tsunami2, so this will be interesting. Tsunami2 requires a LOT of tweaking...
    Radon Gulch & Tortilla Flats Railway - the 'Good Gas' line! - a minor division of the Santa Fe Southern Railway Co. "Dust, gas and a lot of rocky stuff..."

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to drbnc For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,214 Times in 825 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting back to some basics... laying some track. 2.5 30" sticks of Atlas code 80. No photos yet. I'm hoping some stampeding moose swing by to help a guy out with some trackwork.

I also set one of my turnouts permanently in place and fine tuned it some. I need to lay more track still but I think I'm going to run out before I can finish. Maybe the moose will bring some.
    Bronman - "That's just dumb, D-U-M, dumb."

My Layout Build Thread - The Spokane & Eastern Washington
    - Featuring the Burlington Northern, Union Pacific, Canadian Pacific, Montana Rail Link and Amtrak in Spokane and Eastern Washington in the mid-1990's.

Stuff for Free, Sale, Trade and that I'm looking for.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bronman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoa! I just found 10 more pieces of flex track! I wonder if I got visited by the Fairy Track Moose?

- Featuring the Burlington Northern, Union Pacific, Canadian Pacific, Montana Rail Link and Amtrak in Spokane and Eastern Washington in the mid-1990's.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,558 Times in 4,373 Posts
    Mentioned
    594 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bronman View Post
    No photos yet. I'm hoping some stampeding moose swing by to help a guy out with some trackwork.
    Moose would if Moose could, buuut, ummm, Mrs Moose wants Mr Moose to do chores around the Moosehold, sooo, well, ya'know...

Quote Originally Posted by Bronman View Post
    ...I wonder if I got visited by the Fairy Track Moose?
    Shhh, Moose has a rep. to protect...

Now, where's them dag'gum photos?!
    = > ų

~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..." "Reading is for morons who can't understand pictures..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 700 Posts
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I finished my Mercantile building. As I fly home in 2 days, I might just have time for a simple shed construction....

Cheers,

Russ

CEO of Devil's Gate Mining Co.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,959 Times in 726 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drbnc View Post
    ESU LokSound v5 micro in a Kato GS-4.
    Please let us know how it goes. I have a LokSound v5 micro waiting for my Athearn Challenger.
    nScale.net: Elsewhere Yard
    nScale.net: AT&SF West Valley Division (abandoned)
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SteamPower4ever

Failure is always an option.
    - Adam Savage

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SteamPower4ever For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,959 Times in 726 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little more progress on my modules.

And - while decluttering stored stuff in the attic I was surprised to find a Santa Fe coffee mug. It took me a few moments to remember how that got here, but I bought it when visiting the Galveston RR Museum back in the 90s. It's been stowed away since a move around year 2001.

nScale.net: Elsewhere Yard
    nScale.net: AT&SF West Valley Division (abandoned)
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SteamPower4ever

Failure is always an option.
    - Adam Savage

14. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to SteamPower4ever For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

90" more of track laid including soldered joints, feeders and testing. There isn't much room to work in which is slowing things down. I'm laying out the rise behind my benchwork that will bring trains out of staging and onto the layout surface. The grade is 1.2 or 1.6%, I cannot remember which. I have about 80 more inches to go plus a turnout then I can start laying code 55 on the display part of the layout. I don't know why I haven't prioritized track laying. Too many side projects have "derailed" my progress. I have really gotten anxious lately to be able to run trains again though and so I have shifted focus this weekend. I still have a ton of projects on my workbench, but then again, don't we all? Plus as always cleanup and organization that never seems to get done. Sure wish the Train Room Cleanup Moose Fairy would surprise me with a visit and use his antlered wand to poof everything into shape. Maybe if I post a video later...

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteamPower4ever View Post
    Please let us know how it goes. I have a LokSound v5 micro waiting for my Athearn Challenger.
    So far so good. "It's alive!", LEDs are next.
    Radon Gulch & Tortilla Flats Railway - the 'Good Gas' line! - a minor division of the Santa Fe Southern Railway Co. "Dust, gas and a lot of rocky stuff..."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to drbnc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 108 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Acquired another long sought after piece of NYC motive power, and at a more than reasonable price of less than 80.00. Factory set but oddly enough only the B showed any signs of use. a thorough service of both, and good to go.

010 by snwbluebyyou, on Flickr

Finished up the Atlas machine shop, desoldered the service track as needed, and installed a turnout. Still a bunch of worked to be done to finish the scene but after much thought I think this will be called Speeders Restoration as honestly they are the only thing that will fit in the doors. Should be cool.

001 by snwbluebyyou, on Flickr

009 by snwbluebyyou, on Flickr

Also dug out a Con Cor tractor trailer I've had for years and corrected the worn detailing. Frustratingly enough after taking the pictures I noted the bent LS stack, and in the process of addressing that the RS mirror, and antenna broke. I was able to salvage the mirror but now it only has one CB antenna. I've always hated these mirrors. There has to be a better way.

002 by snwbluebyyou, on Flickr

006 by snwbluebyyou, on Flickr

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
    " You can do anything if you have enthusiasm. With it there is accomplishment, without it there are only alibis " - Henry Ford

Thanks
    Thanked 1,110 Times in 361 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is 8169 after it crossed dry Piru Creek. Yea, I know, not really an update. Still debating the expense of improving the garage or start building now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John

21. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to jhn_plsn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I built a little park for my town of MaŽlle. Now I have to get to work and finish the town.

6602AED9-00DA-40EE-A6C4-271B704CEEA3.jpg 8525EF3B-7D80-408B-BF30-020DB3BAD340.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,
    Warren

Thanks
    Thanked 4,539 Times in 940 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice work!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Nskale For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,905 Times in 349 Posts
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still working on one corner of my layout. Strangely, this side wasn't supposed to be sceniced originally, but as I added a couple of industries, scenery followed. It is probably the most complete portion of the layout. Learning how to use a static grass machine (WWS). Seems practice helps. Dug out a power supply that I built in High School Electronics class in the late 70's to replace battery power on my static grass applicator. It still works! Things I have learned about using static grass applicator so far: 1) batteries weaken, either use fresh batteries or switch to AC power. 2) spread the glue out, don't glop it. 3) keep the applicator within one inch of layout. 4) Make sure you have good ground connection between the applicator and the glue.
    I am sure I will learn more lessons the hard way.
    Cheers!
    Maurice
    20200918_132437.jpg
    Attempting to apply the K.I.S.S. principle to Model Railroading.

26. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Maurice For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,580 Times in 560 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got the deck cut for the next section, which includes the east end of the TOFC yard that was between Conover, NC and Oyama Yard on the Southern Ry. in 1974. It's face down in this picture. I've also got the strips cut for the framework for this section.

TOFC East (1).jpg
    Tim Rumph
    Modeling the Southern Railway in N-Scale

28. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Tim R For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been mulling over the desire to start a build thread, since I didn't read ALL the notice that Blogs are widely ignored on nscale.net. Maybe soon, once I figure the jumping in point.
    But I've been busy with something new to my layout-Scenery. By way of introduction for my modeling ideas-
    chicago cards.jpg
    Some cards I found online from Wurtington Bros Press. More a rough guide than real scale diagrams, but worth having in hand for future reference.

Next, I finally got around to addressing a few bridges I had simply slapped a couple of 1x4's across the South Fork Branch of my "river" as stand in's. The single is a Central Valley kit on my shelf for years, the others are Atlas code 55's, one acquired the day before it was installed. I still have to figure out how I will treat the riverbanks before I get something more permanent for footing/pilings under them. More about them once the build thread happens.
    river bridges.jpg
    A second copy of Gripps Luggage came in and has the brick paint coat on, awaiting masking around the windows so I can begin installing them as background walls at the Alton Pocket warehouse, located UNDER my St. Charles Air Line Station.
    Alton Pocket.jpg
    At the right end is a Photo Flat I received earlier this month.
    I got my Butterfly Platforms arranged a simply standing in place for now. I have two end sections that I want to profile to the end at the turnout just to squeeze the most out of the real estate, and possibly reach that 13th car of the consists.
    La Salle check.jpg
    Near the camera, I've laid out the roofs of a Faller Mittlestadt station that with some imagination resembles La Salle St Station, minus the high rise sections of course. I thought I had finally found a Lunde "Ashbury Hotel" kit which I want to graft onto the top of the Faller wings (same dimension footprint), but that fell through before I acted.
    Today, I started on the 'elephant' of the layout, Chicago's Post Office scratch and kit bash. I've been waiting for some time for an order of Modular Wall Systems to arrive from N Scale Architects, and have one in hand bought on eBay. These will be the river facing side of the building, and will pretty much determine the overall size, estimated at 39" x 16Ĺ".
    Wall System 1st.jpg
    Once I can figure out where to start for a build thread, I'll try to start and stay with it. I'm about 95% complete with wiring; track is all laid (with a correction or three to come), so I look forward to sharing more.

Steve Woodall

30. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Woody709acy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 108 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by African Pirate View Post
    I built a little park for my town of MaŽlle. Now I have to get to work and finish the town.

6602AED9-00DA-40EE-A6C4-271B704CEEA3.jpg 8525EF3B-7D80-408B-BF30-020DB3BAD340.jpg
    Really cool! How did you do your walkways? I'm stuck on a scene because I'm not sure how to approach this.
    " You can do anything if you have enthusiasm. With it there is accomplishment, without it there are only alibis " - Henry Ford

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Power Stroke For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I figured I better post some photos before the stampeding happens.

The smoke cleared this weekend and the temp was absolutely perfect, so I went outside with the skillsaw.

Scrap piece of particle board left over from some previous project:

Cut into triangles:

For corners like this:

I also cut some peg board for another project and cut some stuff for my 3d print station that isn't complete but no photos of that.

Here one of the triangles is installed:

To the right is staging to the left is the layout topside. I have trains running on basic 2x2's as straight as I could find 'em. Not much room in there:

And here is a shot of some UP power climbing the grade:

No power to the corner yet, so no photos of train traversing it.

34. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Bronman For This Useful Post: