Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 325 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default new layout

Well looks like finally going to do it. Have room in the new house the boss says I can use so looks like 10 X10 foot L shaped in one corner. Found a layout in and old MR book small layouts you can build. In the book it's a HO 4 x 14 foot layout so got with my buddy Will of CVRR fame and had him modify it for me. We did not add any track just bent it 90 degrees and added 6 feet to it. As I look at it most layout have way to much track on them, so I tell people find the layout you like in the next larger scale and build it using that layout and size but in the smaller scale. This leaves more room for buildings and open areas for scenery. So took my own advice LOL.
    Just ordered the Atlas code 55 turnouts and have a have 100 feet of flex in stock. After I print it out and see how it looks full size will see about adding a engine house and turntable to one of the end loops. also might add a few track to the yard or open it up some more.
    Still looking for a name and will use it to display out building kits on. Any and all comments welcome
    thanks
    rich
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to spyder62 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,877 Times in 1,175 Posts
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not an expert and I don't usually comment on track plans, but I'm having doubts about how to use the yard. Cuts would have to be very short to clear the switch to the rest of the yard, and since the only runaround is back on the main, the main is going to be for yard switching moves. It'll work, but the yard crew has their work cut out for them.
    Moving coal the old way: https://youtu.be/RWJVt4r_pgc
    Moving coal the new way: https://youtu.be/QzmBQ4As_mc

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NtheBasement For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,123 Times in 3,545 Posts
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, a variation on the Marquette & Independence, MR December 1975, IIRC.
    Southern Railway Slate Fork Branch: https://realisticmodelrailroading.ne...-fork-branch-n

"The number of model railroads I have seen covered with the dust of apathy is directly related to the number of modelers who told me that they weren't interested in operation." -- Tony Koester

Rule #1: The worst excuse for ignorance and complacency.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Ol' Curmudgeon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,123 Times in 3,545 Posts
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NtheBasement View Post
    Not an expert and I don't usually comment on track plans, but I'm having doubts about how to use the yard. Cuts would have to be very short to clear the switch to the rest of the yard, and since the only runaround is back on the main, the main is going to be for yard switching moves. It'll work, but the yard crew has their work cut out for them.
    I agree. There's not a really viable yard lead and an A/D track, but the potential is there with some reconfiguration of the turnouts. Easier to do it now with pencil and eraser (or software) than later.
    Southern Railway Slate Fork Branch: https://realisticmodelrailroading.ne...-fork-branch-n

"The number of model railroads I have seen covered with the dust of apathy is directly related to the number of modelers who told me that they weren't interested in operation." -- Tony Koester

Rule #1: The worst excuse for ignorance and complacency.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Ol' Curmudgeon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 325 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    Ah, a variation on the Marquette & Independence, MR December 1975, IIRC.
    yep that it is but as they say yard needs some work but then have room as twice as wide as before
    rich

10. The Following User Says Thank You to spyder62 For This Useful Post: