Thread: Weekend Update (8th Jan 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Weekend Update (8th Jan 2021)

Please update us on the progress you have made on your MRR projects this week (commencing: 8th Jan 2021).

This weekly thread is to post little snippets about your layout/project progress.
    This is not be a substitute for your layout build thread, but just a mini update on what you got done for the week.

You can link from your layout build thread to your posts in this thread as a part of a more extensive post there, or visa-versa (post to your build thread and link to that post when contributing to this thread.

Click on a post's #number (right-hand end of the post header) to get the URL to that particular post in your browsers address bar.
    Copy and paste this as needed.

So, fellow nSn'ers, what have you been up to this week?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,739 Times in 950 Posts
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, after the tests with my N scale "car system" truck failed with the Faller wire, I followed the examples from more experienced car system modelers (like the guys at http://www.miniatur-wunderland.de) and got some magnetic tape...

...and lo and behold, it works

https://he-ro.fairuse.org/nextcloud/...ZyXPtr3wcnxEWk
    https://he-ro.fairuse.org/nextcloud/...sQjdLir2ErmnQd

The radius is still very small, it's less than a CD, so probably around 4cm minimum, and sometimes the truck does lose the guidance. But I guess around 5cm-6cm minimum radius should work just peachy, now I can go testing layouts

Heiko

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A Micro Layout is Born

I've decided to try my hand at a micro-sized layout. I feel the size will be a good way to practice some techniques in a manageable space. I have enough track from the spare pieces bin for a loop which will keep the cost down. I even found a #4 turnout that might prove useful for a industrial spur.

Starting with some leftover 3/4" birch plywood I created a quick frame for a piece of 1" foam board.

DuxDucis
    The Lark Spur

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I finally got my street trolley track running perfectly and glued it down.
    then got it running perfectly again, and started the process of burying the track into the street using spackling.

I got a cheap plastic spreader and ran it back and forth vertically over a piece of track until the railheads carved a groove in it, then I was able to level the spackling out easily just below the railhead so it will be easier to clean.

frustrating to go from working to not working again but it will be worth it once it is completed and I can paint the road surface and clean it up again.

while I had the spackling out I also formed some terrain in the park area as well, just some slight humps and such so it isnít completely flat then with wet fingers smoothed them out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SP & 53
    Daylight and Overnight

Thanks
    Thanked 4,623 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting most everything inside ready to move the trailer. Today I hope to get the skirting removed and then be able to move it next weekend! PIC_0578.jpgPIC_0579.jpg
    Yesterday I got the front flowerbeds removed, and the screws holding skirting together at the bottom of the siding and ground level.PIC_0575.jpg
    Northern Pacific and Black Hills RR in N, of course!!
    Aian, CEO, COO, Engineer, Gopher and everything else!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,280 Times in 902 Posts
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@badlandnpJust look at all that lovely steam power carelessly scattered across the tracks I will pm you my address so that you can send them to a caring loving home and be able to sleep at night knowing that they are being happily looked after

Searingly though, all the best with the move. Keep us posted.
    Thanks, Tom

Expect nothing except the opposite of what you expect, and then expect it to be something other than that ! Then that's about what it will be

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tomcook For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BenchWork1.jpg
    I began the bench work for my small L shaped layout today. The first version went into the scrap bin. So far so good.

Chad

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,812 Times in 1,918 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks good from here!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

New

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got some base paint down. Exact street dimensions are not yet set, once they are I will finish painting out the “asphalt”. Just wanted to get the spackling sealed in so it doesn’t dust.

also ballasted the other tracks and used cinders to ballast the trolley in the park.

now to wait overnight for it all to dry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SP & 53
    Daylight and Overnight

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,038 Times in 331 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a little update. I received shipping information for the rest of my track! Which I ordered from Japan back in October of last year. So hopefully soon I will be getting this in the mail, where I can start the completion of my track build and begin on my scenery! Plus I should be receiving my large pull(like the old projector screens) down map of the Missouri Pacific.
    Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 12.02.55 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-01-12 at 12.03.12 PM.jpg
    Cheers!
    Clayton

13. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MoPac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,280 Times in 380 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not much of an update since my last. I am running out of energy, money, and solutions. I hung the rest of the paneling, but need a sheet of drywall for a couple spots. I also need to insulate a bit in the ceiling and come up with a treatment for the ceiling. I am not looking forward to the ceiling work and rework that needs to be done before I begin to build a layout.
    20210112_135949.jpg
    20210112_165533.jpg
    John

15. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to jhn_plsn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although after the weekend technically, I did complete installing Kato lighting kits on all thirteen of my Kato NYC 20th Century Limited cars this evening. No hiccups and they look great. I didn't use the filters as the white LED's matched the pre-installed LED in the Observation car.

In case you're wondering, I connected the temp track to the accessory terminals on the back of an old Tech II powerpack. I cranked the throttle and momentum to illuminate the lights as to remind me to kill the power when I was done.

​Doug (dilley340)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for the ceiling, @jhn_plsn, when I needed to sheetrock the 24x30 ceiling of my train room (and me with a torn rotator cuff), I knew I could not do it in a day or two. Instead of renting, I bought a drywall lift at Harbor Freight. It took me a month to do the job. When done, I sold the lift for nearly what I paid for it. The difference was less than one day's rental. It enabled me and my bum shoulder to do the job with minimal help from my wife.

Afterwards I splurged and hired out the mudding and taping.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,280 Times in 380 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by el Gato Gordo View Post
    As for the ceiling, @jhn_plsn, when I needed to sheetrock the 24x30 ceiling of my train room (and me with a torn rotator cuff), I knew I could not do it in a day or two. Instead of renting, I bought a drywall lift at Harbor Freight. It took me a month to do the job. When done, I sold the lift for nearly what I paid for it. The difference was less than one day's rental. It enabled me and my bum shoulder to do the job with minimal help from my wife.

Afterwards I splurged and hired out the mudding and taping.
    Well the left shoulder is the issue along with the neck and lower back. OK, maybe its because I am older than I realize and the body is trying but eventually caves. Usually the next day. I thank you for the idea of the drywall lift. I may do that as the ceiling drywall is thin, but still awkwardly heavy. Then again I may simply do a board at a time and add something like shiplap for the ease of handling to custom cut and hang. I keep thinking of painting the ceiling white to help the wireless throttles but a soft wood color may end up the winner.

For now though I am a bit worn out and have quite a pile of ruble to compress into my weekly collection cans. I still have many car parts on my workbench to get out of the way and hope to get those done in the next couple days.

The garage is almost empty compared to the last many years and the wife thinks I am a bit crazy wanting to figure out storage for what remains. She will see. I am determined.
    John

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jhn_plsn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was trying to figure out what the heck I was going to do with the ceiling, I also thought of using 1/2" extruded foam board. Slightly more expensive than sheetrock, but oh, so much lighter! And the scraps can be used for terrain on the layout.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post: