Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Central Jersey Area Club Interest? (...again?)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,415 Times in 1,411 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New Jersey (Central) Area ̶C̶l̶u̶b̶ Group Interest? ALL Welcome - PA, NY, DE, Etc.

There has been some discussion in the past about the possibility of a new Central Jersey ̶C̶l̶u̶b̶ group forming. Several folks expressed interest and desire but not much group momentum. I may have found a possible location to call home and likely have it as a rent$$ free space, although some community service time on a display layout would be involved. Storage space, work space and exhibit/show space would be available. Modular would be the most likely option. Location would be Flemington, NJ, 08822

I want to gauge interest among this group first but will also be posting on other forums to generate more momentum. There will likely be other scales involved eventually.

• Can you reply with your level of interest and commitment?
    • Preference for style - N-track, Free-Mo, T-Track...?
    • Era, time period preferences - no promises
    • Club experience - I have no club experience and would be looking for assistance or leadership to help get it started.
    • Availability for an informal information session. (do you have zoom access, or eventually meet in person)
    • Thoughts/advice on other considerations.
    • Are you on Facebook or other social media?

For now, I would like to keep the discussions in this thread. Eventually, maybe via email or Facebook group?

I am sure there is much more to address. Right now, just looking for interest and commitment levels. Still some time before space would be ready but would like to get a head start on this, so when we all get ahead of this covid, we can really get into this.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Jugtown Modeler; 12th Apr 2021 at 01:27 PM. Reason: fix wordiness
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me:
    Can you reply with your level of interest and commitment? - Very serious. Level 8 commitment

Preference for style - N-track, Free-Mo, T-Track...? - FreeMo-N but really want to build modules and run trains

Era, time period preferences - no promises - Prefer transition era but really want to build modules and run trains

Club experience - I have no club experience and would be looking for assistance or leadership to help get it started. - NONE

Availability for an informal information session. (do you have zoom access, or eventually meet in person) - I do not have zoom or access currently...

Thoughts/advice on other considerations.

Are you on Facebook or other social media? - I am on FB, a group there makes sense to me since we may be including people not on forums, etc.
    Last edited by Jugtown Modeler; 26th Jan 2021 at 10:14 PM.
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the reasons I'd like to get the conversation started is that the first group to get things moving will have the most opportunity. I am probably not the only one aware of this. Other scales and opportunities will come along.

Also, I wanted this forum, which has expressed interest in the past, to get a leg up on the direction we might go before I reach out to other forums, which I'll have to do at some point to generate participants.

Can we at least get a conversation going? (I am getting paranoid... according to the members map, many of us don't even exist anymore... ...I haven't been out of house in days or had TV on... )

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in Northern NJ but would be very interested. I have no club experience and have never built a module but I'm sure I could handle that. I like steam and early diesel. I guess that is the transition period.

Chad

5. The Following User Says Thank You to New For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Steve,
    Just to let you, I'm in Central Jersey. Here are my replies:
    Interest and commitment? - It maybe hard to fully commit so I'll say. Level 5
    Preference for style - N-track, Free-Mo, T-Track...? - I have 6 T-Track modules already. They are stained, but need work. so they maybe helpful to practice with and keep us off the streets. FreeMo-N, I've seen videos but that's it.
    Era, time period preferences - I have a variety of trains. mostly DCC loco's Diesel, two Steam and a hand full of DC of each. From the 40-present era, I guess
    Club experience - Was close to joining the CNJ, but changed my mind - NONE I do exhibit with a friend at the Greenburg shows in Edison
    Availability for an informal information session. (do you have zoom access, or eventually meet in person) - Through my work I have most of them. I'm not sure if I can mix business with pleasure.
    Are you on Facebook or other social media? - I am on FB but rarely active & IG yes, but not a poster.
    "Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -- Benjamin Franklin

Mario

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mrodtoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chad here again. I’m off of work now so can do this properly.
    I’m in Northern Jersey.

Can you reply with your level of interest and commitment? -
    Very serious. Level 8 commitment

Preference for style - N-track, Free-Mo, T-Track...? - I’ve never built a module but would like to and believe that I have the skill sets required. Looking forward to seeing other people’s ideas, learning from seasoned vets and running some trains.

Era, time period preferences - no promises - I would prefer the transition era.

Club experience - I have no club experience and would be looking for assistance or leadership to help get it started. - NONE

Availability for an informal information session. (do you have zoom access, or eventually meet in person) - I can do zoom face time, whatever.

Thoughts/advice on other considerations. Who’s turn is it to bring donuts?

Are you on Facebook or other social media? - I am not on FB but would create a dummy account if that is the way people wish to communicate.

Chad

9. The Following User Says Thank You to New For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Mid-Atlantic folks.

I have not heard from some of you. Not sure if I came on too strong. Or what...
    Not looking for big commitments. Just interest. Maybe the possibility of socializing around N scale and trains with like-minded.
    Whatever your level of interest, ability or experience, we'd love to have you.
    Feel free to message me too.

If I have learned one thing over the last 12 months, it is that I need more connections with people outside my regular circles.
    I am not as interested in a typical "club" as I am in the opportunity this presents to have a home base for gathering, planning, modeling, storage and public display.

Please chime in.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

New

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

• Can you reply with your level of interest and commitment?

I Have never been involved in a club before, but have looked into making a T Trak module recently. Without a club I figured it would sit on a shelf. It would be fun to talk with other N scale modelers.

• Preference for style - N-track, Free-Mo, T-Track...?

T Trak

• Era, time period preferences - no promises

My interests are 1980s-Present

• Club experience - I have no club experience and would be looking for assistance or leadership to help get it sstarted

I have never been involved in a club before.

• Availability for an informal information session. (do you have zoom access, or eventually meet in pperson

I could support a zoom meeting to start.

• Thoughts/advice on other considerations.

No other thoughts.

• Are you on Facebook or other social media

No social media.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sp005 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bear with me on this.

I am still getting a feel for this opportunity and what the expectations might be.
    With the virus still keeping NJ restrictions for gatherings limited, it may be some time before we can do anything.
    I have a couple more people interested. Interested does not mean joining or committed.
    This is a good time to spread the word if you have any model railroad friends.

The owner of this location is showing his commitment to keeping the display open and improving it despite limited visitors and hours of operation.
    If we can get a dozen or so "interested", it may be a good place to start discussions, goals and gatherings.

Thanks for your patience and interest.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,210 Times in 1,045 Posts
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wanted to wish you good luck

Heiko

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you're in No. Jersey, NORTHERN NJ N-TRAK is a club based in Allendale/Paterson at the Museum. Good people.
    Mike

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SecretWeapon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWeapon View Post
    if you're in No. Jersey, NORTHERN NJ N-TRAK is a club based in Allendale/Paterson at the Museum. Good people.
    Thanks Mike. I have heard good things about them. Although, I thought they were mostly a N-Trak group.

Back in 2014, we had a handful of modelers interested in FreeMo here on NsN. We designated a generic Mid-Atlantic group but we could not get the momentum. Myself in particular. @onhigherground actually created some modules and started a FaceBook group called Mid-Atlantic FreeMoN but I think he was the only person to do something and have not seen any updates from him.

I was hoping to get that same interest going again with an actual place to call "home" now and start that momentum up again. I was thinking that the past year of social isolation for many would re-ignite an interest to get together.

Will link the old thread to this one.

I am open to conversations, suggestions and advice.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

New

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully not too late to add to the discussion. Another northern NJ person here potentially interested in participating. I guess a lot would depend on where in central NJ the club was as that could encompass a lot of territory (for a small state, everything still seems far...can't imagine living in a state like Texas! ).

While I'm completely new to the hobby, that's kinda why I'd be interested in participating and doing work so that I could learn the craft. Would like to hear more.

Cheers,
    Rich

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An update for those interested.

I have spoken to the owner of Northlandz and he is welcoming the opportunity to have a club "Open House" next month.
    This will give those interested a chance to meet and discuss the possibilities, interest levels and direction we might go.
    Also, they will give us the opportunity to tour the railroad display.

I am aware that among more serious modelers, this display does not represent the approach many modelers prefer. It is much more an artistic, creative fantasy than the scale modeling many of us prefer to represent and aim to achieve. But, having spent some time working on this display has given me a better appreciation of Northlandz's place as an attraction for non-model railroaders and as an inspiring intro the world's greatest hobby. People of all ages and walks of life come through and appreciate the world it's creator, Bruce Zaccagnino, has brought to life.

The new ownership has spent 100's of thousands to up date and maintain the display. They are dedicating some space for a club to store, work on and display modules in return for a donation of time doing maintenance on the display layout. In lieu of rent, I consider this a fair offer. It will give us a chance to practice our skills and help promote model railroading.

The current pandemic has put a damper on the display to bring in visitors but that is turning around as restrictions in NJ are lifted.

Tentatively, we are looking at this club open house to be on the weekend, April 23 or 24. This is not 100% set yet. Stay tuned.
    If you are in driving distance of Flemington, NJ, interested in some form of a club (likely modular) and open to having a good time with fellow model railroaders, you are invited.

This could be a great opportunity for modelers with a common interest to get together and learn from each other.
    If you don't have the experience, space, time and money to build that basement empire, a club module group might just be your ticket to enjoying the benefits of large layout train running.

I will post a confirmation of the date and create a flyer we can share with acquaintances.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update!
    We are set for an afternoon of model railroading at Northlandz.
    If you would like to join us, please note the requirement to RSVP in advance.
    If you have a module that you would like to bring, mention that in the email message.
    I am not sure how many, if any, modules will show up.

For the time being, it was recommended to focus on the Free-Mo N aspect but we can certainly start and learn from the T-Track standards to get going and practice.
    I hope to see and meet a few fellow Nscale.net-ters and enthusiasts.

Please use flyer email contact for questions and RSVP.

New, @mrodtoo, @sp005, @NorthernJerseyRR, @Bobbydigits
    Last edited by Jugtown Modeler; 7th Apr 2021 at 06:35 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,227 Times in 975 Posts
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you make a single post with all the pertinent info since it's kind of spread across multiple posts above?

1. Date and time. Any rain date?
    2. Duration of event
    3. Specific address
    4. Who and how to RSVP. Is it a Yes or No RSVP or do we want people to list what they can bring module or equipment wise.
    5. Food for purchase on premises or we need to pack a lunch.
    6. If we are trying T-Track, who's bring command station, wiring, tables, etc.
      1. DC or DCC?
      2. Brand of DCC?

7. Any agenda topics we want to think about NOW to discuss at the vent?
    8. Are you missing a flyer attachment (which may have answered the questions above ) since you mentioned a flyer in your post but I don't see a flyer.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingmeow View Post
    I don't see a flyer.

@New, @mrodtoo, @sp005, @NorthernJerseyRR, @Bobbydigits
    Last edited by Jugtown Modeler; 7th Apr 2021 at 06:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you make a single post with all the pertinent info since it's kind of spread across multiple posts above?

1. Date and time. Any rain date?
    2. Duration of event
    3. Specific address
    4. Who and how to RSVP. Is it a Yes or No RSVP or do we want people to list what they can bring module or equipment wise.
    5. Food for purchase on premises or we need to pack a lunch.
    6. If we are trying T-Track, who's bring command station, wiring, tables, etc.
      1. DC or DCC?
      2. Brand of DCC?

7. Any agenda topics we want to think about NOW to discuss at the vent?
    8. Are you missing a flyer attachment (which may have answered the questions above ) since you mentioned a flyer in your post but I don't see a flyer.
    Hoping one of the posts is showing the flyer.
    4. - let me know in email RSVP what you have. It would be more for show and tell as I don't have a clue who would be bringing what...
    5. - Pack lunch, although time is set for after. I will follow up with more via email when we get closer to date. Possible owner might offer some refreshments.
    6. - Really not setting up for a show/display. We are brand new and just trying to develop interest. Welcome to bring but I can't guarantee running.
    7. - Agenda will be based on total RSVPs, but likely an overview of group modular railroading, show and tell and hopefully enough to plan a regular gathering.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,227 Times in 975 Posts
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No flyer being shown in any posts.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No flyer being shown in any posts.
    File size issue. I could still see it, for some reason...
    Is it there now?