Thread: Akita Mountain

Thanks
    Thanked 3,980 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Icon7 Akita Mountain

Having spent the last three years building seven Canadian Pacific steamers, I was feeling a little burned out. Other than fairys Do Fairies exist ? and Aliens Life on Mars !, My creative/artistic side has been left a little neglected ! So, I have decided to build a micro layout and realize a long dorment dream of a buddhist monastery on a snowy Japanese mountain side

Now a photo before you all nod off. (er, your perches that is, not the mountainside!!)

Over view.jpg

This is the first time I build a layout that will be taller than it is long ! It mesures 540mm long and 630mm high to the top of the pagoda and 280mm wide.

Background; Akita prefecture lies in the north of main island Japan. Snowfall is over one hundred inches and temperatures can drop to -30c It is a rimote and sparcely populated part of Japan. The railway was built in 1920 to serve a coal mine and a string of small mountain villages. It was elictified through out with an overhead catenary. Two small electic locos and a handful of freight cars worked the line along with a soltary passanger car. The line closed in 1956 and the rails ripped up a year or so later.

The model; I really like the 3D effect of soaring cliffs and the high level rope bridge. The landscape will be covered in deep snow and a smell of incence and wood smoke hanging in the still winters air. Tourists and worshipers mill at the station as pesants and monks go about their business.

Scetches.jpg

One of the buildings will be an inn and another a saki store. Akita is well known for its high quality saki. The temples and pagoda will be paper kits from Sankei and the rest will be kitbashed/scratchbuilt. All the figures will be heavily modifide Preiser persons. 'Oh look', 'here comes a couple of them now'

BingWallpap.jpg

I covered a couple of businessmen with plastic filler and then carved their robes out of it. A fine couple of chaps to oversee the construction

Insperation; 30% of my school was Japanese so I grew up surounded by their culture and it left a deep fasination with all things Japanese including my beautiful dog (sadly no longer of this world)

Maisha2.jpg

She was an Akita inu from Akita !! hence some of the insperation to model that part of the world.

Back to the model, I recently came across the words of one of our members critisizing Kato unitrack and how it is killing our hobby ? Well, I read and re-read what was said and, though not fully understanding what was spoken, I desided to listen to the wise words of the master and give the stuff a wide birth. So, I have used Tomix track instead

Track plan.jpg

Here's a photo of the baseboard. The big hole is to alow access to the inside of the mountain for wiring lighting etc.

basebord.jpg

More photos as and when

I would just like to point out that I am of no 'perticuler' religion and that I hope my buddhist rambalings cause no offence. I just think their architecture is super cool, and some of their quotes too

Good will to you all
    Last edited by tomcook; 29th Jan 2021 at 01:20 AM. Reason: spelling
    Thanks, Tom

Expect nothing except the opposite of what you expect, and then expect it to be something other than that ! Then that's about what it will be

Thanks
    Thanked 9,808 Times in 3,441 Posts
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guilty as charged, Tom!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to The Ol' Curmudgeon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 265 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

should be a fun build will be watching
    rich

5. The Following User Says Thank You to spyder62 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This looks really cool!

I so look forward to seeing this come to life!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DG&H MRRinN For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,313 Times in 3,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're all excited to see you going after what I am sure will become Akita your heart...

(see what I did there?)

My one suggestion: it appears the temple/tower will be right at the extreme corner, as you have drawn it. I would encourage you to give it a little bit of margin and pull it in an inch or so from the extreme edge. This building will obviously be a scenic Focus, creating a strong sense of place, and the more context you can give it the better. You haven't indicated a backdrop, but a removable backdrop panel may do wonders for this pinnacle (assuming it is competently painted, and your sketches give me confidence in that regard). But even if you have a backdrop, getting a half-width of trees to modulate between 3D and 2D worlds can help a ton.

Hello. My name is Michael, and I am an ALCo - haul - ic.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,307 Times in 4,834 Posts
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@tomcook

Whoa! Now this will be interesting! (Not unlike your previous builds, of course!)

Mrs Moose wants to know: What putty do you use on the wee people? She's "same day" going to need to do the same for a future diorama she plans on building...
    Last edited by Moose2013; 29th Jan 2021 at 12:15 AM.
    = >

~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..." "Reading is for morons who can't understand pictures..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,869 Times in 2,157 Posts
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great intro, @tomcook! I'll be eagerly awaiting updates. While I am a non-believer, I enjoy the magnificence of a great deal of religious architecture.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a solid plan! I can’t wait to see the progression.
    I too would like to know more about the putty for the lil’people modification.
    Cute Akita, I’m sure she was the best.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobbydigits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well thank you all for such kind words of encoragement

@Moose2013 @Bobbydigits
    Tamiya 87053 putty is the stuff I use but I guess any plastic putty would work. It goes off super quick so you have to work fast and keep the cap on the tube at all times. I squeeze out a bit onto an old lid, put the cap back on and then with a toothpick, I scoop it up and cover the little chaps and chapettes with it. If anyone has a better method please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbydigits View Post
    Cute Akita, I’m sure she was the best.
    Thank you. She so totally was

Quote Originally Posted by WP&P View Post
    (see what I did there?)
    So sorry but I'm not the brightest spark in town, it's over my head

@WP&P Thanks for your input, I was worried that you might pull me up on the lack of AD track and the length of my run-around loop ??? The pagoda and other buildings in the scetch are very aproximate but there really is not much space to play with 11" x 21" I will do a mock up tonight and post a photo so you can see what's going on a bit better. It's hard not to position things in 'display' mode. I want it to feel a little random and not too 'presented' !!!
    There most certanly will be a backdrop, possibly done in oil. I've never painted in oil but I think this scene needs more drama than what I can capture in my watercolor paintings. There will be trees, buildings and the landscape falling away to help the transition.
    Last edited by tomcook; 29th Jan 2021 at 02:37 AM. Reason: spelling
    Thanks, Tom

Expect nothing except the opposite of what you expect, and then expect it to be something other than that ! Then that's about what it will be

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tomcook For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awww, what a beautiful dog. She's still in your heart so will always be with you. If she was cremated and you kept the ashes, maybe put a couple in the model Akita?

The mini-layout plans look great. I especially like the population. Most of all the saki seller!

Reminds me a bit of the Meteora Monasteries I visited in Greece. A few required traversing narrow bridges like your rope bridge, I couldn't visit those because I'm afraid of heights/falling (couldn't get near the edge of the Grand Canyon either).

Subscribing to this one, and looking forward to your creative work.

Dave

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 56Pontiac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@56Pontiac Thank you kindly.

@WP&P As promised, a mock up. As you can see, I'm a truely great architect ! because all great architects make foam board mock ups

mock up 4.jpg

A couple of hours with a sheet of foam and the bread knife has helped to get a feel of things. The wood sides are just sellotaped in place. I see streight off that the river would possibly look better as a deep ravine ? Any input is encouraged and gratefully recieved.

The orange light is the rays of the rising sun and, a bit cheesy, but to set the mood, I give you one of Japan's great composers; Kitaro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhxb...JCHNrQ&index=1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks, Tom

Thanks
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 878 Posts
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps a waterfall, flowing from the divide eg. to the left of the 5th pine tree in your fantastic mockup, could allow for a small trestle towards the tunnel at the left? It would also provide an option for modelling water e.g. Luke Towans YouTube videos?

Alternately you could place a small stream to the right with stone bridges for the railway and a wooden bridge for traffic to the village, with a steep pathway to the monastery on the right?

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scotian_Huntress For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scotian_Huntress View Post
    Perhaps a waterfall, flowing from the divide
    Cool and is under cosideration

you could place a small stream to the right with stone bridges for the railway and a wooden bridge for traffic to the village, with a steep pathway to the monastery on the right?
    That is my current plan. Though I'm thinking of making the river set in a deep ravine to balence it with the steep drop on the left. Not sure yet ?

Thanks for the feedback
    Thanks, Tom

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,313 Times in 3,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tomcook View Post
    Thanks for your input, I was worried that you might pull me up on the lack of AD track and the length of my run-around loop ???
    Now that you mention it... how exactly does the staging work on this layout?

Quote Originally Posted by tomcook View Post
    The pagoda and other buildings in the scetch are very aproximate but there really is not much space to play with 11" x 21"
    In light of this fact, might I suggest a new strategy? Let the wookie win. Er, uh, sorry, I mean: maybe the tallest pagoda sits exactly in the corner, such that you only model 2 of its 4 sides and it sits tight to the backdrop. It becomes like a bas-relief feature of the backdrop that way, rather than its own focal point. Let the "negative space" between pagodas become the scenic focus, as putting baby in the corner may give you a bit more space to fit trees and gardens between the top two buildings.

Hello. My name is Michael, and I am an ALCo - haul - ic.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,402 Posts
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom,
    Will be watching your progress anxiously.
    A term you don't hear often in our racket, but this is a lovely idea. For lack of a better term. The kind of distraction I can use.

Had you not already planned as much as you have, I was going to suggest narrow gauge N. But you are on your journey.
    There is quite a bit of narrow gauge forest railroading in Northern Japan. I am following an inspiring Facebook group if you are interested.
    Possible you'll find some interesting ideas?: Shinrin Tetsudo - the Forest Railways (森林鉄道) of Japan & Taiwan
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1562095757173674
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WP&P View Post
    Let the "negative space" between pagodas become the scenic focus,
    Yes yes yes, I like it. Some times I forget to think in my enthusiasm !!! I should have been looking out for that as it's something I play with in one of my other activaties, sculpting wood eg.

rsz_diane_&_tom.jpg

Thank you for 're-booting' me. I've been coming at this layout from the wrong angle.

One small sentence, one BIG help. Thank you
    Last edited by tomcook; 31st Jan 2021 at 05:13 PM.
    Thanks, Tom

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tomcook For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jugtown Modeler View Post
    A term you don't hear often in our racket, but this is a lovely idea. For lack of a better term. The kind of distraction I can use.
    Thank you kind sir. Listening to ones inner voice always pays dividendes. It's easy to lose sight of what our motivations are, but when we get them back on track, everything falls together nicely

Quote Originally Posted by Jugtown Modeler View Post
    I was going to suggest narrow gauge N.
    I spent over twenty years modeling narrow gauge from 8mm right down to 1mm gauge !!! . I moved back to n scale standered gauge to get away from the unreliable running of small light locos. The fustrations of getting TINY locos to perform eventually put paid to such endevers After these adventures, the pleasure of just being able to 'plop' a loco on the track (without having had to make the track !), turn the controler, and watch it run, is big enough to keep me from the ever steepening slppery slope of miniturization
    Thanks, Tom

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomcook For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 878 Posts
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay Tom - you are just too talented, sculpting wood, narrow gauge modelling, alien manufacture, steam modification, I expect you are a gourmet cook, sourdough baker etc etc

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scotian_Huntress For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you.

I expect you are a gourmet cook
    Vegaterian so not gourmet by most peoples standerds !!! My sername is Cook though, does that count

sourdough
    That's just something I get called by my girlfriend
    Thanks, Tom

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomcook For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fun reading! Wish I had some useful thoughts for you. Maybe, does saki have a distinct odor? (I've never had any so I don't know.) If so, when complete, put a drop or two of saki by the saki store for ambiance

Dave

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 56Pontiac For This Useful Post: