Thread: Importing UK product to Canada

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Importing UK product to Canada

Just wondering if any of the Canadians have experience with ordering product from the UK to be mailed to Canada. Mostly I知 looking at once the shipment leaves the Royal Mail it hits Canada post are you nailed with a) taxes, b) any duties, c) brokerage fees....etc
    I understand this might be a hit and miss on the different scenarios but just want an idea of peoples experiences. I知 thinking about PECO track stuff now but locos etc in the future
    thanks
    Darrell

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DBR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,927 Times in 853 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@DBR Note that as of January 1st 2021 you're buying from the UK and not from the EU. Don't know how that looks customs-wise from Canada, but it may be different than last year.
    nScale.net: Elsewhere Yard
    nScale.net: AT&SF West Valley Division (abandoned)
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SteamPower4ever

Failure is always an option.
    - Adam Savage

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SteamPower4ever For This Useful Post:

DBR

Thanks
    Thanked 5,903 Times in 1,896 Posts
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

When I order from Hattons in the UK , I pay duties . But its still cheaper than buying from the US or Canada for Peco track

Steve

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aflica For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,215 Times in 886 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've had no duties charged against any of my UK orders to date. The postage is significantly cheaper than sending a package within our own border. My Electrogen Renfe set arrived in less than 2 weeks from Wales duty free. I have a package in route as I type. Should be here this week.
    Grant.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Silent1961 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve could you give me an example of PECO end pricing please,plus how long for delivery. The duties you paid where they collected by Canada post, just trying to get the full picture thanks
    Darrell

Thanks
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

They were collected before delivery by the shipping broker . They sent me a invoice and I paid it .
    It took a little over 2 weeks to arrive......pre covid
    But I saved nearly $80 CAN on a box of track from Hattons
    I last order my Magic Ballast glue from Deluxe Materials in the UK , no duties and a little over a week to arrive . Was very pleased with that . And that was in January 2021
    So to sum it up , its a guessing game as far as duties .
    UK does not charge taxes (VAT) for Canadian customer , but now that they are not in the Union , I'm not sure how things work really

Steve

11. The Following User Says Thank You to aflica For This Useful Post:

DBR

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got a model from Nscalelaser. There was no duty charged. Once it was able to be shipped it came in a little over a week. Shipping was initially delayed because Canada shutdown all flights to the UK. So the UK didn’t do any international shipping to Canada until flights resumed.
    Regards,
    Warren

13. The Following User Says Thank You to African Pirate For This Useful Post:

DBR

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,319 Times in 3,182 Posts
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DBR View Post
    Steve could you give me an example of PECO end pricing please,plus how long for delivery. The duties you paid where they collected by Canada post, just trying to get the full picture thanks
    Darrell
    I buy all of my Peco products from Hatton's in the UK. Currently, a pack of 25 X 3' long Peco flex track is about $97 US.

The last order I placed with Hatton's (pre covid cr_ap) was shipped DHL and got to me, on the east coast US, "exactly 3 days to the minute" from the time of placing the order to it being handed to me by DHL. Shipping was $21 BUT had I bought the same items here, it would have cost me around $250 (US) more. Depending on where in Canada you are, I'd say shipping etc would be about the same as it was for me.
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,943 Times in 988 Posts
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stumbled over some very large import tax free amount for goods delivered to the US and CA. Can't recall how much exactly, but somewhere in the $400 to $800 range, I think. Don't even recall if it was USD or CAD.

Note that I'm normally interested in the opposite direction, so I didn't really pay attention to details.

Heiko

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

DBR

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks everyone, Tony had a post in another thread that gave me the idea. Last year due to our border being closed with the states I ordered some stuff to be sent direct to me, usually I just have them sent to a parcel pick up place on the other side of the border and then drive down to get them, back to the story on the orders I had sent to me, one came canada post no duty's taxes etc, the next UPS had to pay taxes not an issue but the brokerage fee's was what got me, the last one came Canada Post and I had to pay taxes and Brokerage fees as well, not as bad as UPS though. It was all still worth the savings in future I at least know what to expect and how I want items shipped for the States at least. Now I'm trying to get the gist of things from the UK and also Europe for that matter understanding of course things are different in 2021
    Darrell

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DBR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When ordering from the States I stared getting the package delivered to Pembina, ND. to a parcel pickup spot like you did the I got a company called RunninRed to pick it up and bring it to Winnipeg.

https://runninred.com/
    Regards,
    Warren

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to African Pirate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've purchased a number of items from MERG, the Model Electronic Railway Group, in the UK. I haven't had to pay any duty or brokerage fees. Things arrive via Canada Post and I just pick it up at the Post Office.

Rob

23. The Following User Says Thank You to newt749 For This Useful Post:

DBR

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DBR View Post
    Just wondering if any of the Canadians have experience with ordering product from the UK to be mailed to Canada. Mostly I知 looking at once the shipment leaves the Royal Mail it hits Canada post are you nailed with a) taxes, b) any duties, c) brokerage fees....etc
    I understand this might be a hit and miss on the different scenarios but just want an idea of peoples experiences. I知 thinking about PECO track stuff now but locos etc in the future
    thanks
    Darrell
    Between '14 & '19 I placed several orders, mostly from Hatton's, mostly for Peco switches & some sectional track (no flex as for the amount I needed it was better for me to buy it locally). One on my last orders included some Gaugemaster Autofrogs (ie frog juicers) as well. Every order was shipped Royal Air mail. I don't recall ever having to pay Canadian taxes or any other Canada Post fees.

AFAIK Canadians aren't subject to VAT regardless of what's going on in the EU, but don't quote me.

As others have said you can save a lot of money ordering out of the UK v. buying locally. I know I did, on Peco track anyways.

Hope this helps
    The Northern Alberta Railways, once the 3rd largest railway in Canada.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Riderfan For This Useful Post:

DBR

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats regular mail though, no courier right? Regular mail from the States to Canada will cause you to pay HST sometimes, but no duties. Couriers from the States will rob you blind with imaginary duties. I wonder if its the same with UK post to Canada post with just HST being payable?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiverton18 View Post
    Thats regular mail though, no courier right? Regular mail from the States to Canada will cause you to pay HST sometimes, but no duties. Couriers from the States will rob you blind with imaginary duties. I wonder if its the same with UK post to Canada post with just HST being payable?
    You will also have to pay $9.95 for the luxury of them applying the HST to your charges from the US if they randomly decide to not let it just come up and go to your mail box

Steve

28. The Following User Says Thank You to aflica For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, Canada post will take a small cut if HST is applied, but its still at least 50 bucks cheaper than if UPS gets your shipping to Canada, those guys are crazy.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,943 Times in 988 Posts
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a quick warning: UK customs are crazily busy with Brexit right now. Sounds crazy, since the rules for shipping to the EU are basically the same as for shipping to (for example) Canada, but all the traffic that went into the EU before this year was not subject to any customs treatment. Now they have to handle that as well, and 42% of all British exports go to the EU, meaning Brexit basically doubled their customs workload. So talk to your supplier to see how they are affected.

An example: A British-German manufacturer of CNC equipment told me "well, normally we'd expect a turnaround time for service and calibration of 4-8 weeks. But currently we can't even tell you a turnaround time because we have to ship it to Britain and customs both ways is an unpredictable hell..."

Heiko

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No experience with rail merchandise, but a little experience as a bookseller: its considerably cheaper to get books from English and Australian publishers shipped to Canada than to the US. I don't know exactly what favorable terms apply to transactions between Commonwealth countries but there still are some. (I live close enough to the Canadian border and have friends on the other side, so in non-covid times I'd be able to pick up a delivery on either side easily.) Almost all my books qualify as instructional material and cross the US-Canada border duty-free.

Cross-border shipping is bad enough that my fabric-selling girlfriend will likely drive across and ship to Canadian buyers from the first post office the other side of the border, once the border reopens. She will have to pay import duty, a fixed percentage of the fabric's value, but when international postage can easily run 50% the cost of the merchandise, still worth it.