Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend Update (26th Feb 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Weekend Update (26th Feb 2021)

Please update us on the progress you have made on your MRR projects this week (commencing: 26th Feb 2021).

This weekly thread is to post little snippets about your layout/project progress.
    This is not be a substitute for your layout build thread, but just a mini update on what you got done for the week.

You can link from your layout build thread to your posts in this thread as a part of a more extensive post there, or visa-versa (post to your build thread and link to that post when contributing to this thread.

Click on a post's #number (right-hand end of the post header) to get the URL to that particular post in your browsers address bar.
    Copy and paste this as needed.

So, fellow nSn'ers, what have you been up to this week?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,215 Times in 889 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After some blizzards, winter first returned to the normal grey slush, but then it got warmer and the snow melted fast.
    What a lovely day to go outside on the patio and sand my modules. They're now ready for a final patch of filler and then fine sanding

nScale.net: Elsewhere Yard
    nScale.net: AT&SF West Valley Division (abandoned)
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SteamPower4ever

Failure is always an option.
    - Adam Savage

Thanks
    Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spent a little time with a pencil, drill, hobby knife, files and worked some holes into the housings of my Minibox 2 DCC command station:

(and yes, my handwriting is sub-par - but the info gets across, I believe)

Heiko

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,396 Times in 916 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Managed to finish mocking up the Mountain Lumber Co. Glad I did. No way this was going to fit in the original spot. Moving it over to the other corner which had more room it's still shallow.

The dimensions listed on the box show 16-3/8 x 9-3/8. The sawdust burner and the powerhouse are where the log pond is in the cover photo to make the dimensions work in the diagram footprint. The attached photo has the mock up oriented as pictured in the photo which allows virtually no room for any scenery and takes up 19" x 16". The blue bulge in the back by the vertical wires is the wigwam mock up using a shop towel as the skin.

The minimum I'm going to use is 24"L x 22"W with the curve of the track apex moved closer to the front and reducing the radius by 2". I'll have to move the river to the left a good 1 to 2 feet and change the angle of the track into the next corner. But not today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grant.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,242 Times in 798 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cleaned the hoods, cabs and mechanisms of my 2 Life Like (SW900) locomotives that always seem to be over lubricated from the factory.
    And while I was at it I also replaced the rapido couplers with Micro Trains 1015-1-B couplers.
    Last edited by DrifterNL; 28th Feb 2021 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Added info on type of coupler

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to DrifterNL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,835 Times in 3,444 Posts
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
    I spent a little time with a pencil, drill, hobby knife, files and worked some holes into the housings of my Minibox 2 DCC command station:

https://he-ro.fairuse.org/nextcloud/...mjPf3/download

https://he-ro.fairuse.org/nextcloud/...aWpdo/download

(and yes, my handwriting is sub-par - but the info gets across, I believe)

Heiko
    Is this part of the WiFRED system?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,541 Times in 3,239 Posts
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    Or the WiBETTY or WiBILL system? Either way, Wi not????
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just finished "fixing" a Atlas SD60M locomotive with a ticking and locking-up truck.
    I opened up the offending truck and was surprised to find out that it wasn't just locking-up but was also missing a gear!
    By changing around 2 gears the truck runs freely and doesn't tick anymore but because of the missing gear the locomotive is a 10 wheel drive instead of 12.
    This loco was bought new.

11. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to DrifterNL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    Well, not directly. It's a full-blown DCC command station for ops with Loconet support, 120 locos and an integrated LocoBuffer-clone for connecting a PC. Although the output power is heavily limited to 0.25 amps per output.

It's a DIY project by a guy called Pål Olsen, who started with the Minibox 1 that's actually reasonably well documented: http://lysthuset.homeip.net/paolsen/...inibox_en.html, removed the keypad and display, increased the number of slots to 120... unfortunately there's no real documentation available (yet?).

It's meant for our large modular layouts. We need boosters anyway, the command station is not connected to anything but the boosters and throttles, and we only need it for running trains, no programming. The 0.25A is a nice value for powering throttles over the railsync lines, it's just a nice side effect that I can use it to run a loco as well.

But yes, connect a PC, laptop or Raspberry Pi running JMRI to the USB port and you can run trains with the wiFred or smartphone apps like wiThrottle / EngineDriver.

Heiko

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,306 Times in 4,832 Posts
    Mentioned
    658 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Heiko

Don't you know that your supposed to post in English?

Moose no know what you wrote, but it sure didn't make sense to this moose...
    = > ÷

~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..." "Reading is for morons who can't understand pictures..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 3rd boxcars weekly progress

Oh well another week,

Switching module progress here https://www.nscale.net/forums/showth...903#post606903 not much done just track laying, but there is a picture.

And progress on the 3d laser cut Chinese puzzle, takes longer to decipher the instructions than put it together.
    Alexander
    Currently building 8' x 8" switching layout progress here - https://www.nscale.net/forums/showth...switching-plan and 12' freemo module.
    My Shapeways shop. http://www.shapeways.com/shops/boxcarmodels

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,396 Times in 916 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DrifterNL View Post
    Cleaned the hoods, cabs and mechanisms of my 2 Life Like (SW900) locomotives that always seem to be over lubricated from the factory.
    And while I was at it I also replaced the rapido couplers with microtrains couplers.
    Which MT couplers did you use? I've got 11 LL SW900/1200 I'm going to have to swap out the rapido's. Thx.
    Grant.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Silent1961 View Post
    Which MT couplers did you use? I've got 11 LL SW900/1200 I'm going to have to swap out the rapido's. Thx.
    The couplers I used are Micro Trains 1015-1-B.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to DrifterNL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a pretty productive week. Last weekend I posted a pic of a LaserKit Section House that I'd built. This week, I built two more of them. There are a lot of old "company house" rows around here, most over a century old, and in various states of repair. Some are well-maintained, some are dilapidated, and some have been remodeled and are quite nice. I tried for that effect with the three I built. The original is well maintained. The second one, I used a tarpaper roof instead of shingles, and peeled and faded the paint. For the third one, I did some remodeling. I added a semi-enclosed front porch, using scraps from the wood sprue on which the kit came. I widened the opening and replaced the back door with a set of sliding glass doors (made from a modified Tichy industrial-style window), and replaced the back porch with a concrete patio. For all three, I used block-pattern styrene to make stone foundations. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

I also built a small switching layout, from an idea I got from Steve's Trains on YouTube. I had all the materials on hand except for one turnout and a curve, so it was a minimal cost outlay. I'll probably add some simple scenery and ground cover to it eventually, but for now, it's fun just to be able to run some trains while I'm working on my layout.
    • File Type: jpg a.jpg (125.5 KB, 37 views)
    • File Type: jpg b.jpg (116.8 KB, 32 views)
    • File Type: jpg c.jpg (115.2 KB, 29 views)
    • File Type: jpg d.jpg (55.4 KB, 30 views)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,541 Times in 3,239 Posts
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice work on the kits
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

22. The Following User Says Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,367 Times in 392 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still contemplating trackplans here so no real progress. This is a screenshot of the stacked staging/short helix/staging on a plan I am toying with. This requires a duckunder at about 58" on the upper level and swing gate on the first level to enter into. West Colton to Banning. So West Colton would be on the left wall(18') Old Colton with diamonds along the top, and Loma Linda along the right. A 1% grade would start in the turnback around the peninsula and into a helix up to the second level San Timotao(2nd level) Beaumont on the right side(over Loma Linda) around curve to Banning, then around peninsula to return loop staging over the helix.
    John

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,382 Times in 858 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Top Secret project I'm working on, but in the meanwhile, I'm trying to get the train room in ship shape. So I started sweeping under the kids' layout so I can use the space for storage:

So, question... do you guys hand sweep your floors so you can go through the pan and see what long lost treasures you might find? No treasure thus far.

Also had some help:

He wouldn't hold still for a good photo but he did give two paws up on the job I'm doing. He's more of a workplace inspector than a helper.
    Bronman - "That's just dumb, D-U-M, dumb."

My Layout Build Thread - The Spokane & Eastern Washington
    - Featuring the Burlington Northern, Union Pacific, Canadian Pacific, Montana Rail Link and Amtrak in Spokane and Eastern Washington in the mid-1990's.

Stuff for Free, Sale, Trade and that I'm looking for.

25. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Bronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,835 Times in 3,444 Posts
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bronman View Post
    So, question... do you guys hand sweep your floors so you can go through the pan and see what long lost treasures you might find?
    Gosh, yes, and I do find things -- coupler springs, the odd wee screw that had attempted orbital flight just as I was inserting it with tweezers into its proper hole, air hoses, etc.

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The Ol' Curmudgeon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is more of a last 2-3 weeks update, work is eating up all the time, more and more, which is good right now. Another 6 weeks and I should return to a normal schedule. Here is what I’ve done:

Replaced the two double slips on my yard that weren’t necessary now that a single track mainline makes more sense:

914A2B88-8991-429F-BD27-29AA9650140F.jpg
    B6C7DB3E-F85F-41F9-9BBD-4E3C91951CC7.jpg
    the rightmost of the two is the new one in this picture.

I also have been making a couple more:

5547BBDA-ED83-4AD6-B645-79DD70EC4C99.jpg

If I get some time here and there, I’m hoping to finish those two turnouts.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worked on two cars of friends for engine work, but I had Sunday to work on the layout. Dreaded roadwork and ballasting to be done.

Road is styrene sheet that I buy online in 48" sections. I was able to glue a few pieces together to form the full length. Road stripe lane markings were paint pens from Amazon.

Ballasting just plain sucks. One of my least favorite things to do. Those bits just cling to the side of the rails no matter what I do. Static electricity, I think. I may try some dryer sheets rubbed over the track first or something. I figure I'll do about 2-3 feet each session and hopefully it will be done in a few weeks.

Maybe.