Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reuqest for Loco Assistance from Vancouver Island

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing jumps out with the pix. One of the rod bolt heads looks to be taller than I would expect, but not obstructing at this position. Because the driver sets are all geared, that opens up another potential area for obstruction. The internal gears. The motor shaft gear is position between forward & middle driver, there is a gear box set between this point and the drivers. Something may have gotten lodged in that gear train causing the bind. With the motor removed, How much of that area can you see from the top? We need to be cautious here. Do not want to create a problem trying to fix a problem.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to llxlocomotives For This Useful Post:

Cowichan Bay, Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, gentlemen. Next step then seems to be checking the gears, after checking the left side counterweights. With the shell still off, I can easily remove the motor (which I did last week, it turns easily by hand) and investigate a bit deeper into the internal gears. I am acutely aware of creating problems whilst working another problem - I also have a boat!
    Monopoly & Octopus (modified & expanded)
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showth...R-Layout/page2

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I removed the motor this afternoon. I turned the gears, both from the top and from the gears on the inside of the wheels. The inside gear is a plastic larger one seemingly mated to a smaller one which drives the smaller wheel gears. The larger plastic wheel gear only went around between a third and halfway before it would go no further. I tried moving it the other way and it went back as far as it started and then jammed.

I'll begin to examine the running components around the wheels some more, but there doesn't seem to be anything binding there that's obvious to me. I need to look closer.

I chose not to take it apart any further since it appeared if I did so I would release all the running gear, beyond my pay grade at this point, so I did not get a chance to see those gears all the way around. I also did not force anything.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i "fiddled" with the locomotive again yesterday.

I believe I am now at a point where I am prepared to remove the running gear to see if I can free up the gears inside the engine. The first photo in Post #19 shows the bottom and I have taken off the bottom piece which contains that couplers, it's just flat underneath that piece. I'll grab a picture later. There's nothing apparent to me for the "next step" of disassembly.

I need some help and would appreciate directions to do that.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I have a steamer that's jamming, I turn the mechanism until it does jam. Then, go around the running gear, trying to wiggle everything. If you encounter a piece that doesn't move/wiggle, you have probably found the jam. No moving element of the running gear should ever be "tight".

This is, of course, after you have made sure there isn't anything in any of the gear teeth or broken gears (like the infamous Bachmann white gears, for example).

Doug
    Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
    www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doug Gosha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

With the motor removed you should be able to turn the worm wheel (that is the gear that mates up with motor gear) you should be able to turn it one tooth at a time with a small screw driver. Also you should be able to push the loco without the motor has you push it across your table. If it goes part way and stops something is binding or something is caught in a tooth of one of the gears. Also check to make sure that one or more of the screws that hold the drive rods onto the drivers is not too long and sticking through the a hitting something. BTW IF this was running, what was done since it was running?

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to woodone For This Useful Post: