Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 359 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well,

Week 2 no reply. In all fairness its possible my email went to a spam file, so I am not going to write them off. But I really am starting to feel like we will never see IMRC release a N scale locomotive.
    Modeling Steel in N scale
    ...to the topTop

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bessemer Bob For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheels spin slowly at Intermountain...........I've sometimes waited months for replies on parts, and just when you think it's a lost cause, you not only get a reply, but it's in the form of the parts you inquired about, free of charge. They've done a good job for me......it's just at a very slow speed. I still buy product from them, although now I wait till the status on their web page gets to the "in production" status before I order from my dealer...........I know that increases the risk of the product getting cancelled due to not enough preorders, but I honestly don't need any more cars or locos, so if I get it I get it and if I don't, I don't.
    ...to the topTop

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MRLdave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that Centralia Car Shops (whose products are distributed through IMRC) and Fox Valley Models both suffered serious production setbacks due to an unexpected factory closure in China... I have to wonder if this is possibly related to that?
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It certainly hasn't helped, but they have always worked at a slow pace, especially when compared to some other manufacturers. And it doesn't help that we, as model railroaders expect to have a product in our hands within weeks of it being announced.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,928 Times in 420 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the difference between IMRC and the Ford Edsel?
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 359 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NorthShoreLine View Post
    unexpected factory closure in China
    The China factory closure did set back the majority of the model railroad manufactures, the problem is this was three years ago now and most manufacturers have been able to get back to a somewhat normal production time line.

I know some did not rebound as fast, and sadly some did not survive the multiple production interruptions. My only issue with IMRC to date is the lack of communication from the factory issue till now. Are they still trying to re-tool and find a new factory? Are they days away from starting production on the very long awaited SD45-2s, who knows. The few times I have ask IMRC if they still plan to run something and if they had any timeline for production the reply email is always very short and at most blames the buyer for the slow production.

3 weeks and no reply from IMRC...... Just to give you a idea of how that compares to others.

I emailed 4 manufactures about potentially running a SD38 variant.. Well all four replied within two days......

At the end of the day IMRC and all the others do not "owe" us anything, they are in business to make money and making money is how they survive... I just feel when you are in a niche industry like model railroading 100% of your survival is based on a very limited customer base.. Maybe a little catering to them will go a long way. Thats a given everyday on the 1:1 scale RR

And for time lines, I for one am not the type that wants something in my mailbox a week after its announced. I do feel a 12-18 months from announcement to layout is very acceptable. Once an item is pushing two years I just feel a product update from time to time is not too much to ask for.
    Modeling Steel in N scale
    ...to the topTop

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bessemer Bob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,598 Times in 3,618 Posts
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

All points have been made.
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

Support the natural selection process, remove the warning labels....
    ...to the topTop