Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 359 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Whats going on at IMRC

Came across this on the pre-order page of my go to online retailer..

That was on the 10th, have not caught wind of anything since..

FYI not on the newsletter

will be canceling ALL Intermountain N scale Locomotives (Fox Valley too as they announced they will not be delivering any locomotivesDetails in our newsletter that is going out today - please sign up for our newsletter for details
    Modeling Steel in N scale
    ...to the topTop

Thanks
    Thanked 9,808 Times in 3,441 Posts
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bessemer Bob View Post
    Came across this on the pre-order page of my go to online retailer..

That was on the 10th, have not caught wind of anything since..

FYI not on the newsletter

https://hogtrainz.com/INTLOGO.gif will be canceling ALL Intermountain N scale Locomotives (Fox Valley too as they announced they will not be delivering any locomotivesDetails in our newsletter that is going out today - please sign up for our newsletter for details
    There's nothing on the IMRC site, Bob. I might be overlooking it. But I'd be inclined to wait for IMRC to state something officially rather than HogTrainz.
    Last edited by The Ol' Curmudgeon; 18th Mar 2021 at 12:25 AM.
    ...to the topTop

3. The Following User Says Thank You to The Ol' Curmudgeon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Their choice of words ("Hogtrainz will be canceling..." rather than "Intermountain has canceled") sounds to me more like IMRC has elected not to use Hogtrainz as a retailer rather than them canceling production of the models entirely.
    ...to the topTop

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dwwojcik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,198 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Information from IMRC is virtually non-existent. I have an SP cab-forward on preorder from a German dealer who normally posts expected delivery dates, but here the dealer explicitly states that IMRC does not publish such dates.

Looking at the IMRC site, the AC-12 is in status 'confirmed for production'. Looking at the code definition on the IMRC site, this means that "The project has met the minimum required Advance Reservations and will be scheduled for production at some point in the future." (emphasis is mine).

With the amount of models listed as 'confirmed for production' I'm not holding my breath ...
    nScale.net: Elsewhere Yard
    nScale.net: AT&SF West Valley Division (abandoned)
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SteamPower4ever

Failure is always an option.
    - Adam Savage
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say if it was from any other manufacturer I would say "the relationship between the vendor and manufacture fell apart"
    But time and time again I have had issues with IMRC and communication and I know many others had the same experience. I wouldn't be surprised that IMRC is going to wait till next months news letter to let people know they are pulling out of the N scale game. Every time I have tried to talk to them since about 2012 it has been a negative experience, pre-2012 the people I was in contact with seemed to care. I always get a feeling that IMRC has an attitude that they are doing us a favor and we should just be happy they are making N scale product.

I just hope something shakes out soon. The current build is based on SD38-2s coming some day.. Without those I am probably going to switch gears.
    ...to the topTop

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bessemer Bob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteamPower4ever View Post
    With the amount of models listed as 'confirmed for production' I'm not holding my breath ...
    Exactly. I have a couple of IM locomotives and they're great, but they are ones that I bought off the shelf, not from preorder or "advance reservation." IM's B&LE SD38-2 has been shown as "coming soon" for at least the last two years (spoiler: it's not coming soon).

If you see an IM locomotive that fits your layout, buy it. They are of very high quality. But, their announcements are little more than vaporware based on what I've seen.
    ...to the topTop

Thanks
    Thanked 6,747 Times in 1,265 Posts
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dwwojcik View Post
    Their choice of words ("Hogtrainz will be canceling..." rather than "Intermountain has canceled") sounds to me more like IMRC has elected not to use Hogtrainz as a retailer rather than them canceling production of the models entirely.
    Hogtrainz sent out an email that provides a little more clarity. What they have done is cancelled all buyer reservations for IMRC locomotives, Additionally, they will no longer be taking new reservations for IMRC locomotives. This was due to the fact that IMRC increased the originally announced prices on some recently shipped items, which led Hogtrainz to actually lose money on them (since they didn't want to pass the increase along to their buyers).

IMRC hasn't cancelled anything - it's still business as usual over there as far as anyone knows (IE, announce stuff and then maybe deliver it "someday", and perhaps at the originally announced prices).

-Mark
    ...to the topTop

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Spookshow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You want to talk vaporware? IMRC pales compared to Blackstone, which has been promising an HOn3 D&RGW K-28 and K-36 for more than six years.
    ...to the topTop

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Ol' Curmudgeon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just hope something shakes out soon. The current build is based on SD38-2s coming some day.. Without those I am probably going to switch gears.
    I sure hope you won't, Bob. I enjoy seeing your steel mill come together. Surely your talents could help you remove one cooling fan from an SD40-2 to convert it to an SD38-2?
    ...to the topTop

15. The Following User Says Thank You to The Ol' Curmudgeon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,695 Times in 522 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still waiting on my high hood NS SD40-2's
    :bottle::bottle::gdl::mp15:
    ...to the topTop

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Intermodalman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The current build is based on SD38-2s coming some day.. Without those I am probably going to switch gears.
    CMR Products sells a chop-nose SD18 shell that fits on an Atlas SD24 mechanism. You could do the B&LE 85x series SD18s with that.

I grew up along the Western Allegheny, so my Bessemer power is all F7s (oddly enough, the only factory-painted BLE F7s I have are A units from...Intermountain).

EDIT: link https://www.cmrproducts.com/store/N-...hell-p90429944
    Last edited by bikerraypa; 18th Mar 2021 at 02:37 PM. Reason: added link
    ...to the topTop

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bikerraypa For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Ol' Curmudgeon View Post
    I sure hope you won't, Bob. I enjoy seeing your steel mill come together. Surely your talents could help you remove one cooling fan from an SD40-2 to convert it to an SD38-2?

Well I do appreciate that.

The mill is part of a larger layout, Bessemer & Lake Erie was to be the entire lower lever. SD38s lugging coal and ore drags etc. I have two lake boats and a set of huletts in N that would really make a great LDE. Plus I really was waiting on a few EL SD45-2s for my Conrail main on the top level.

The experience with IMRC and a few other areas has been an accumulative effect on my desires to push ahead. We shall see what happens, but honestly my bad attitude towards N scale at times is always looking for an easy excuse to get out of it... And that is 100% on me.
    ...to the topTop

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Bessemer Bob For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bikerraypa View Post
    CMR Products sells a chop-nose SD18 shell that fits on an Atlas SD24 mechanism. You could do the B&LE 85x series SD18s with that.

I grew up along the Western Allegheny, so my Bessemer power is all F7s (oddly enough, the only factory-painted BLE F7s I have are A units from...Intermountain).

Ray,

I did purchase two of those shells with the plan of two SD18s.
    I must say the problem (again all me) is I think I am at my limits in ability when it comes to cutting up and paint N scale locos. Possibly I could farm out that work..
    ...to the topTop

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bessemer Bob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,070 Times in 1,023 Posts
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The experience with IMRC and a few other areas has been an accumulative effect on my desires to push ahead. We shall see what happens, but honestly my bad attitude towards N scale at times is always looking for an easy excuse to get out of it... And that is 100% on me.
    It sure feels like things are going down. But then I think I was just lucky to stumble into N scale when ME and Atlas track and turnouts was in stock (except maybe curved turnouts), Kato SD40-2s and C44-9s, Atlas GP38-2s and GP40-2s, FVM metal wheels in all diameters and axle lengths, the Walthers catalogue had a bunch of steamers...

So if I've learned anything, it's patience. Things will come back, period. Either someone will pick up the molds and reproduce or they will show up on the second hand market. Hey, I even got my first long (Red Caboose, I believe) centerbeam car recently, though in freelance paint, and those old Atlas LPG tank cars I bought for $11 from the sales table when I started now have found a couple of companions, too, so I can run my LPG dealer into the 1960s...

And I still have more projects than time, so it's hardly ever the rolling stock drought that's holding me back. Turnouts, well, buy what you get if you think you'll use it, they are not that expensive.

So unless you have some hard deadline, just fiddle along and you'll find something to serve your beautiful steel mills.

Heiko
    ...to the topTop

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok well look at what I did.. Hijacked my own thread lol.

Ill update everybody soon on the mill and its happenings in its thread.

And I missed Spookshows post.

I guess we can put this thread to bed.
    ...to the topTop

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Bessemer Bob For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to update the thread.

Wrote a email to IMRC on Wednesday in relation to the announcement from Hogtrainz. I asked if they were still planning to offer the models that were in pre-order status through HT, and if so could they suggest the best way to re-pre-order those items again.

Well that was Wednesday, no reply from IMRC so far.

Before anybody askes, I had my better half proof read my email to ensure it was written professionally and did not come across as rude. I suspect in a few weeks I will get a snarky reply from IMRC. We shall see...
    Last edited by Bessemer Bob; 20th Mar 2021 at 01:12 PM.
    ...to the topTop

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bessemer Bob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wrote a email to IMRC on Wednesday in relation to the announcement from Hogtrainz. I asked if they were still planning to offer the models that were in pre-order status through HT, and if so could they suggest to re-pre-order.

Well that was Wednesday, no reply like usual.
    But that was the best and most useful thing you could have done, Bob. Thank you. Far better to do that on your (and our) behalf than for this site to perpetuate the kind of thing that's going on over The Railwire with this same topic -- lots of heat and smoke but little light.

If IMRC doesn't respond, maybe a flood of emails will shake them out of their lethargy.

But IMRC will probably want a minimum number of emails before they pre-order a response. ...
    ...to the topTop

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The Ol' Curmudgeon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Intermountain stuff. But they are a small company that announces hundreds of new products , announces preorders, and then waits for sufficient ones to actually do a production run.......that can take a long time, and it's a self defeating approach. People preorder and then get upset when the product doesn't show up the next day. And if there aren't enough preorders the run gets cancelled. After losing something they were hoping for, buyers stop preordering, which means even longer waits and even fewer buyers willing to take a chance. But I know my local dealer says he has years worth of preorders from customers sitting in his files. Slow delivery creates a paperwork nightmare for dealers.
    ...to the topTop

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MRLdave For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,492 Times in 403 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MRLdave View Post
    I like Intermountain stuff. But they are a small company that announces hundreds of new products , announces preorders, and then waits for sufficient ones to actually do a production run.......that can take a long time, and it's a self defeating approach. People preorder and then get upset when the product doesn't show up the next day. And if there aren't enough preorders the run gets cancelled. After losing something they were hoping for, buyers stop preordering, which means even longer waits and even fewer buyers willing to take a chance. But I know my local dealer says he has years worth of preorders from customers sitting in his files. Slow delivery creates a paperwork nightmare for dealers.
    Reminds me of Atlas.
    Cheers!
    Clayton
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to update everybody on my correspondence with IMRC.

Well it has been a week now since I emailed IMRC asking if they could point me in the right direction with the pre-order items in question with HogTrainz. Sadly no response.

The frustration with the hobby builds!
    ...to the topTop

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bessemer Bob For This Useful Post: