Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post N Scale Laser 53' trucking trailer with peel and stick decal

Hi,

We are pleased to announce the latest N Scale Laser kit - a 53' van trailer with peel and stick decals and Royale Models 3D printed wheels. Available here https://www.nscalelaser.com/shop/n-s...l-stick-decal/

swift.jpg
    landstar.jpg Ryder.jpg
    Simon

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Slamdunk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ryder and Swift both are very hard on getting proper licensing agreements with them. I haven't had any luck as they want thousands of dollars plus royalties, which just wasn't worth the trouble.

What sort of deal did you get to produce and sell these designs? How much did you end up having to pay them? I have some products I'd like to do, but they were not interested in hobby producers.

Being a legit producer is costly at times with companies charging high licensing fees. Really makes it hard to produce new products.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,601 Times in 1,159 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool, do they have a hitch so we can put these on flat/spine cars?

Metro Red Ln (Metro Red Line)
    Under the streets of Los Angeles

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,116 Times in 3,350 Posts
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still don't get the licensing fees , companies should be thankful , they are getting free advertising, maybe an exception for the real big brands like Coca Cola , Pepsi , McDonalds , companies that make their own collectables.
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, there are legitimate reasons for it. If you let someone use your product logo, image name, etc without documented permission for any length of time, you can lose your control over it or have it dismissed entirely. Railroads have to protect their logos and paint schemes accordingly. It only has to be a documented approval. Some companies *cough*cough*UnionPacific* might see hobby makers as a source of revenue and charge high fees and even a percentage of your total sales. Hobby makers argued that getting models out their with their branding helps promote the company and its products. Some railroads agreed and have very simple licensing agreements. Some are very eager and provide paint color codes, lettering guides, etc to really help make your product be as accurate as possible. T shirt sellers of railroad logos run into this . Start selling shirts, coffee mugs, etc with a logo on it without permission and you can find yourself with a cease and desist order, a lawsuit, and demand for payments at commercial levels that approach the cost of a house. If you produced shirts in your home garage, they can put a lein on your house as well. It can get nasty real quick.

Trucking companies are another beast. They aren't used to people wanting to model their trucks. Small companies would find it cool, and if you got an agreement to use their brand on your models for sake, you might just get away with just that. Sending them a completed model on a simple base diorama they can put in their lobby display goes a long way towards good relations.

Other companies are very protective of their branding (like Swift, Roadway, Schneider, FedEx) don't want anyone making money off their name no matter how small, or don't want to risk their name being on a poor quality product that reflects badly on their branding. Some see it as a financial opportunity, and others see it as a fun hobby thing.

The problem is if you do it without permission, when they DO find out about it, legal action is usually the result with you on the losing side. Even web sites like this that have links to or allow sales announcements can end up in the legal liability chain which I don't think is fair, but is technically legal to go after.

It takes time and is frustrating as a manufacturer. You want to do the right thing, but some companies just aren't interested and we have to respect it.

One way sort of to get around this is making up your own imaginary trucking company. Evergreen Transport. VALSTAR. Pacway. Tri-state Express. All are plausible sounding names that could possibly exist (search online in case you accidentally match a real one!). Come up with your own logo and color scheme. It can be fun in its own way like that just like model railroading.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Vegaman Dan For This Useful Post: