Thread: N Scale market

Thanks
    Thanked 2,515 Times in 425 Posts
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default N Scale market

I attended the Conrail Historical Society Zoom meeting today (3/20/2021) and a representative from Rapido Trains gave a short presentation. He concentrated on HO scale. When asked about N scale, he said that N scale was a problem because a lot of N scalers were of what he called the "Kato" mind set. (I may have the term wrong but Kato was definitely in the name) Basically he said the Kato type wanted complete train sets to run and weren't interested in individual cars. Do you think the N scale market is divided? Do you think to many of us are willing to settle for inaccurate cars? I am sure all of us would like the most accurate cars and paint schemes but that isn't always possible. Sometimes we have to settle for "good enough".
    Attempting to apply the K.I.S.S. principle to Model Railroading.
    ...to the topTop

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Maurice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That seems odd. As far as complete trains, I wouldn't mind having the Kato Broadway Limited set, but that's it. I buy individual cars or sets of the same car with different road numbers. I'd bet most other N-scalers are the same with the possible exception of Japanese N-scalers, who seem to be into bullet train sets. At the risk of sounding cynical, it sounds like perhaps his comments could be translated as, "We don't see enough profit in N scale but I don't want to say that out loud."
    ...to the topTop

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately missed the Conrail zoom meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerraypa View Post
    At the risk of sounding cynical, it sounds like perhaps his comments could be translated as, "We don't see enough profit in N scale but I don't want to say that out loud."
    I think you are 100% correct, they are like the shopkeepers that when asked why there are no widgets left on the shelf their reply is we do not sell enough!

People buy Kato sets because that is what is generally only available other than Microtrains who seem to do well.
    Alexander
    Currently building 8' x 8" switching layout progress here - https://www.nscale.net/forums/showth...switching-plan and 12' freemo module.
    My Shapeways shop. http://www.shapeways.com/shops/boxcarmodels
    ...to the topTop

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 3rdboxcar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,601 Times in 1,159 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been an N scaler for almost 15 years and never bought a Kato set, unless you're talking about Amtrak Superliners. But everything else has literally been individual cars.

Metro Red Ln (Metro Red Line)
    Under the streets of Los Angeles
    ...to the topTop

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroRedLn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,116 Times in 3,350 Posts
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only sets I have bought are Super Chief and El Capitain , passenger trains that fit my layout , all other cars are individual cars or a few sets with different road numbers. Don't know if I would go for Rapido in N-scale though , their detailing and quality comes at a very high price , something that I don't see necessary in N-scale . The Micro Trains and Atlas cars look more then good enough , thinking Rapido would be twice the price.
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com
    ...to the topTop

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Janbouli For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,015 Times in 2,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I plead nolo contendere. Although I often buy individual engines, I do buy sets of trains or cars. From Kato, only the Thalys TGV and ICE 4. ICE trains and other Triebwagen come in sets, as they should. Many other German, Austrian or Swiss passenger trains are offered as sets, without engine, though many additional cars are offered to extend a particular train.

I'm not into freight, but I do have about 10 various cars each of Eras III and VI, gifted in a bunch or purchased individually.
    ...to the topTop

11. The Following User Says Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,721 Times in 526 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think rapido's problem is what is being cooked up, largely passenger cars in N. While their product is without a doubt better kato is much more appealing to the average Joe; Comparatively speaking dirt cheap, robust and detailed enough to satisfy most. I feel there's also a big Standout effect with their products, they're goregous but you stick one of their cars in a string of kato cars and now the Kato cars look like crap. That standout effect why I'm personally passing on the new Amtrak horizon cars, I don't want to park a Bentley in a Kia neighborhood.
    :bottle::bottle::gdl::mp15:
    ...to the topTop

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Intermodalman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,846 Times in 3,451 Posts
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
    Do you think the N scale market is divided? Do you think to many of us are willing to settle for inaccurate cars?
    Yes, I do. There are some of us in N scale who strive for realism. Frankly, we're the minority. The majority of N scalers have a "Kato mindset" and seem content not only to settle for inaccurate cars, but locomotives with inaccurate roadnames and, most of all, toy-like Kato Unitrack.

As I wrote in my Slate Fork blog post last year, Unitrack's "blatant shortcomings are still too evident, from phony "ballast" to its outlandish ties and tie spacing, to its toyish switches, sharp curves and lack of spiral easements. Unitrack's toy-like appearance is entirely devoid of anything remotely smacking of realism.

"Unitrack's pervasiveness among intermediate and even experienced modelers only reinforces what earnest N scalers have been trying to quash the past 50 years -- the notion that N scale is not a serious modeling medium. In that sense, Unitrack may actually be hurting the N scale hobby."

And now it appears that Kato in general may be an issue.

There, I said it on this forum. The question was asked, and that's my answer. Take a number, have a seat, and wait in line if you want to complain.
    ...to the topTop

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to The Ol' Curmudgeon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,659 Times in 3,641 Posts
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I just wonder when (or if) more of the model railroad manufacturers will start taking N scale as a serious scale.
    This is where the real problem lies...
    I think there are more than enough N scale modelers out there that would take pleasure and advantage of a wider range of N scale models.
    Once that trend would start, I think it would grow to a point where N scale could reach the level of interest that HO has if not exceed it.

But what I see are the manufacturers aren't or do not want to take the time to investigate the opportunities and prospects.
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

Support the natural selection process, remove the warning labels....
    ...to the topTop

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,373 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have passenger sets by Kato, MT, Rivarossi and Con Cor. The details and paint by Kato are nice, and yes I bought sets. Four of them, two Pennsy, the SP and GN sets. What i like about these is the ease of lighting them and that they track well.

The MT cars are nicely done. I haven't bought any sets, just individual cars to build a train. Their heavyweights look good compared to the older Riv units. Adding track powered lighting is going to be a bit tough.

I have a couple of C-C cars. OK, but again, details are just ok and adding track powered lighting them will be a trick.

I actually haven't a single one of Rapido's cars. Nothing in my interest zone, yet. But what I have seen look pretty nice. Hopefully I will see something of theirs up close and personal one day!

Hopefully, they will expand more into the N market, as the worldwide sales market is getting easier to hit.
    Northern Pacific and Black Hills RR in N, of course!!
    Aian, CEO, COO, Engineer, Gopher and everything else!
    ...to the topTop

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to badlandnp For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,116 Times in 3,350 Posts
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Ol' Curmudgeon View Post
    There, I said it on this forum. The question was asked, and that's my answer. Take a number, have a seat, and wait in line if you want to complain.
    While I agree on the Kato Track , that's not what this is about , it's about cars , and yes maybe a few of us can put down 100 dollars for one passenger car, I think most of us are quite happy with Kato passenger trains , and wish they would make freight cars as well.
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com
    ...to the topTop

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Janbouli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Janbouli View Post
    While I agree on the Kato Track , that's not what this is about , it's about cars , and yes maybe a few of us can put down 100 dollars for one passenger car, I think most of us are quite happy with Kato passenger trains , and wish they would make freight cars as well.
    Well I think it actually plays a part in this Jan?
    Kato produces a "Box of trains", consumers see this and think "Cool I buy this, I'll add a table and I'll have an instant train set!"

They get it home, pull it out of the box, snap it together and run some trains and their happy.
    Then they want to add more....so where do they look? Back to the same company. Where they find more Boxes!
    It's kind of like being brainwashed.
    Most won't get a chance to explore the other multitude of possibilities that are available.
    They get stuck in this mindset, and that it's. They are happy to be fed what is served to them.

Regardless if it cars or track.
    Meanwhile, the other manufacturers don't see much interest in what they have to offer.

I too would like to see KATO would get back into making freight cars instead of those bullet trains.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

...to the topTop

23. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,041 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I am a member of about 8 or 9 Facebook train groups . All I see is people pushing Kato anything to new comers .
    I guess it is easy to get going with it , but holy crap , it's all anyone talks about .

Facebook has been and will be the demise of the world

Steve
    ...to the topTop

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aflica For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,846 Times in 3,451 Posts
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly, @Allen H. It's all one and the same -- cars, locomotives, track, etc. Kato strives to be "one-stop shop" as it were. And so, yes, there is a divided market. And I do think Kato is the reason. It takes no skill sets or development of skill sets to be a Kato N scaler.

When a layout built with Unitrack appeared last year on the cover of "N-Scale" magazine (not "N Scale Railroading") that's when I let my sub lapse to that mag.
    ...to the topTop

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Ol' Curmudgeon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aflica View Post
    I am a member of about 8 or 9 Facebook train groups . All I see is people pushing Kato anything to new comers .
    I guess it is easy to get going with it , but holy crap , it's all anyone talks about .

Facebook has been and will be the demise of the world

Steve
    You think it's bad on FB Steve?
    You should see what goes on in Reddit!!!
    It's the only thing they know there!
    A buddy has shown me more posts than I ever cared to see....ALL KATO!!!!
    I wonder if KATO owns Reddit?

...to the topTop

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,041 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post
    I wonder if KATO owns Reddit?
    Could be , and a healty chunk of FB

I am not a Kato hater . I like some of their products , but my God there is other stuff out there . Kato track is like Lego , and a lot of people like Lego
    But new comers don't get a chance to see beyond Kato , it's all they are exposed to on social media

Steve
    ...to the topTop

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to aflica For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aflica View Post
    Could be , and a healty chunk of FB

I am not a Kato hater . I like some of their products , but my God there is other stuff out there . Kato track is like Lego , and a lot of people like Lego
    But new comers don't get a chance to see beyond Kato , it's all they are exposed to on social media

Steve
    WINNER WINNER!
    And that is exactly my point!!!

...to the topTop

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It takes no skill sets or development of skill sets to be a Kato N scaler.
    I guess that's true if you think track laying is the only thing involved in building a layout. I've seen many layouts built with Unitrack (such as Mike Fifer's) that look far superior to others using flex track.
    ...to the topTop

35. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Intarsiabox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,721 Times in 526 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Intarsiabox View Post
    I guess that's true if you think track laying is the only thing involved in building a layout. I've seen many layouts built with Unitrack (such as Mike Fifer's) that look far superior to others using flex track.
    I whole heartly agree, I've spent hours making kato unitrak look how I want on my modules.
    https://flic.kr/p/2kMUy5K
    Quick Pic I snagged this morning to get some new power documented.
    And I'd reason to say there's plenty of people using roadbed-less track who don't achieve results that look good.

The age old saying, don't judge a craftsman by the tools he uses but by the quality of his product
    :bottle::bottle::gdl::mp15:
    ...to the topTop

37. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Intermodalman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I do. There are some of us in N scale who strive for realism. Frankly, we're the minority. The majority of N scalers have a "Kato mindset" and seem content not only to settle for inaccurate cars, but locomotives with inaccurate roadnames and, most of all, toy-like Kato Unitrack.
    I think you almost certainly have something here. At least with locomotives, after fighting with older stuff from Arnold or Rivarossi or whoever, the Kato stuff seemed like driving a Cadillac. And what were they compared against? The old Con-Cor PAs, the best of which were made by...Kato. And a lot of older Atlas diesels, the best of which were made by...Kato. It makes sense that everybody eventually embraced them as the manufacturer of choice, but as in any quasi-monopoly, innovation dies. Once they were the best and had the market, why spend too much money improving anything? And in an industry with slim profit margins that makes things up in volume, smaller manufacturers can't break in, or make enough to stay in. So, people buy Kato.

The recent Intermountain discussion is a perfect example. I have two Intermountain F7s, and I'd love to have more, but they are as rare as hen's teeth. So what did I do? I bought a set of Kato F7s, because they're everywhere. 90% of winning is showing up, and Kato, for good or bad, always shows up.
    ...to the topTop

39. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bikerraypa For This Useful Post: