Thread: N Scale market

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 272 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, and Kato is about the only one selling starter sets in N scale other then the few Bachman does and we know their quality in the sets. If they used the Spectrum line in the sets they would do better. But the cheap sets that might run a few hours if that turn people off to N scale.
    rich
    ...to the topTop

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spyder62 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,581 Times in 1,236 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post

It takes skill and patience and a desire to model something that is realistic looking. Which is the basics of modeling: To recreate the real world in miniature.
    It can be done with unitrack without a doubt, I've seen it. But it how far can you take it?

Uh huh, and I see modellers who don't use unitrack that miss modelling many realistic items on their layouts not having to do with track ...

How far can that take you?
    Master Po - "Accept the ways of others, respect first your own"
    ...to the topTop

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nskale For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,015 Times in 2,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spyder62 View Post
    Kato is about the only one selling starter sets in N scale
    Both Fleischmann and Trix have starter sets of fairly decent, though not premium, quality. I am still running an 8 year old train from a Fleischmann starter set.
    ...to the topTop

Thanks
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by el Gato Gordo View Post
    This thread started out about why a particular manufacturer appears to dismiss N scale as a serious medium for modeling railroads. It appears to have degenerated into a Kato bashing/defending thread.

Did we forget Rule #1: It is your railroad, do what pleases you?
    Let's face it - their are cliques on this forum. You can tell by who thanks who on their layouts. It's pretty obvious. And sometimes it all depends on a particular aspect of what you do use or model that "doesn't sit well" with the other clique.

Tell me I'm wrong.
    ...to the topTop

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Nskale For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,175 Times in 1,430 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I didn't think Kato would be such a divisive topic. Life is full of trade offs. Not everybody can or wants to spend the money on the additional detail of a Rapido car over a Kato one. Unitrack - again, life is full of trade offs. I don't think it looks as good as flex track, but man, it sure goes together quickly... and leaves more time for something else, whether that's another aspect of modeling, or some other part of life. I didn't use it on my current layout, but I did on the layout I built with my son and wouldn't have done that any other way. I have four Kato locos and they're all wonderfully reliable... but yes, so are my Atlas locos. Kato isn't the answer to everything, but it is a perfectly good answer sometimes.
    ...to the topTop

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to OTFan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 974 Posts
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One has to remember that for Kato, Japan is Market #1 and the US (and elsewhere) is Market #2. If you've ever lived in Japan or that in region of the world they don't have expansive indoor real estate for large and/or permanent layouts.

Unitrack was developed for that purpose. Would you be able to put up a reliable temporary layout on the kitchen floor and take it down when the kitchen is needed with Atlas, Peco, ME, etc. sectional or flex track?

I'm not defending or choosing Unitrack. I don't use it myself but there's a purpose for everything.

One can argue that without the simple, reliable, Kato train sets, we may have lost a potential N scaler who may, perhaps, continue with different tracks as he or she embarks on a bigger layout.

Who says just because you started with Unitrack you can't switch? The main purpose is to draw new comers into N.
    ...to the topTop

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Intermodalman View Post
    I whole heartly agree, I've spent hours making kato unitrak look how I want on my modules.
    https://flic.kr/p/2kMUy5K
    Quick Pic I snagged this morning to get some new power documented.
    And I'd reason to say there's plenty of people using roadbed-less track who don't achieve results that look good.

The age old saying, don't judge a craftsman by the tools he uses but by the quality of his product
    That does look great but there is the rub. You and a few others have spent hours making it look like you want. I believe folks like you are the minority of Kato Unitrak users. If what I see on social media and at other places is any indicator the majority of folks just want to get up and running asap. Their enjoyment is the in the running of the trains. I read complaint after complaint of derailments with traditional track. Whether they lack skill or patience I can't say but Unitrak saves the day for them. And there is nothing wrong with that. I might not understand it but then I do not have to. They are enjoying what they are doing. And yes they seem to enjoy telling me I am not normal for using Atlas code 55 and I should quit counting rivers. Lol if it keeps them entertained that's fine. If that's all I have to complain about it's a good day. They buy the box and then go back to the Kato well for more track etc. There still are a good many of us that that derive our enjoyment of the hobby a bit more prototypical based no matter what track we use. I think Rapido just missed the mark with a couple of their N scale loco offerings and are a bit wary now. Hope that changes I like the few products of theirs I own.
    ...to the topTop

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,011 Times in 538 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I love my kato, by far the most reliable track I have ever used,about equal with Tomix.
    I would love to know how a kato starterset/track could put anybody off nscale more than the tat Bachman and others! used to/still release in the toy train sets.
    ...to the topTop

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to grrf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingmeow View Post

Who says just because you started with Unitrack you can't switch? The main purpose is to draw new comers into N.

And if you aren't doing realistic things others that have unitrack ARE doing, who says YOU can't switch?
    ...to the topTop

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nskale For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,601 Times in 1,159 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People who only own trains from one manufacturer are weird.

Metro Red Ln (Metro Red Line)
    Under the streets of Los Angeles
    ...to the topTop

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MetroRedLn For This Useful Post: