Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Facebook N Scale Marketplace UGH!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Facebook N Scale Marketplace UGH!

Sorry if this doesn't belong here.

Anyone buy off facebook N scale marketplace sites? I have done this twice now. Both times have gotten kinda scammed. I bought a few steam and diesel locomotives for parts. Most of them but not all had wheels on them in the photos but when I got them. The wheels were all missing. I contacted the guy and he quoted buyer beware.

Then a few days later I bought 3 steam engines. 2 that were supposed to be running real good and the other for parts. All three were parts. One of them looked like someone got mad and tore the back wheels right off the thing.

I get it buyer beware. So now that this has happened. I won't be buying anything unless I see it running on the rails.

Anyone else ever had this problem. On any of the sell sites.

I like buying the older stuff. Like steam engines but starting to get sour taste thinking about next buy.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,116 Times in 3,350 Posts
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won't buy anything off facebook , there is no buyer guarantee like on Fleebay .
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Janbouli For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 1,147 Posts
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the sellers whine about the fees on ebay, and because of those you often don't get the deals there like you used to. But at least the buyer has recourse from getting screwed. If you have the sellers name and address you could very possibly take him to small claims court. But you'd need evidence of the way the locos were presented in the ad, so if you didn't screenshot anything, it may be gone for good. IDK if Facebook will help you retrieve that evidence or not

Edit: I just saw you were Canadian. I have no idea what the laws are like there.
    "Do Not Hump!?!?! Does that mean what I think it means?!?"--Michelle Blanchard

"People saw wood and say nothing, but railroad men saw trains and say things that are better left unprinted."--Charles De Lano Hine

Down with UP

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ranulf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ranulf View Post
    All the sellers whine about the fees on ebay, and because of those you often don't get the deals there like you used to. But at least the buyer has recourse from getting screwed. If you have the sellers name and address you could very possibly take him to small claims court. But you'd need evidence of the way the locos were presented in the ad, so if you didn't screenshot anything, it may be gone for good. IDK if Facebook will help you retrieve that evidence or not

Edit: I just saw you were Canadian. I have no idea what the laws are like there.
    Both lived in different provinces then me. But that was a good idea. I was just looking for them and both look like they no longer the page. Someone else might have complained.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,364 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep! I stay away from places like FB Marketplace, as well as Fleabay. It's coming to the point, I don't even trust Amazon very much, any longer. (I had a $280 Track order cancelled 2 months after paying for it last year, about this time. Unless I can see it, touch it, watch it run in person, I don't even get excited any more.

Buyer beware my butt-insky. All you can do on FB is make a post saying you got screwed. And that will probably be taken down, within a few minutes, too. Good luck out there!
    N-joy!
    Tred - (USN-Ret.)
    Kansas City, KS
    (Sent using @ 1000Mbps)
    "No matter where you go, there you are!"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tred For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tred View Post
    Buyer beware my butt-insky. All you can do on FB is make a post saying you got screwed. And that will probably be taken down, within a few minutes, too. Good luck out there!
    I tried posting that I got screwed. Everything has to go through a admin first. They didn't post it like who cares not my money.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 974 Posts
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you use PayPal (hopefully not Friends & Family)? They have a 180 day protection for the buyer if the purchase went wrong. I never bought from FB but do the sellers have some kind of feedback system from pervious bueyrs?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingmeow View Post
    Did you use PayPal (hopefully not Friends & Family)? They have a 180 day protection for the buyer if the purchase went wrong. I never bought from FB but do the sellers have some kind of feedback system from pervious bueyrs?
    I think everything on Facebook is email transfer

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bambamshere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry to hear you have had problems with the Facebook marketplace sites. I have bought a few times from the N scale flea market and have had a great experience each time. The products were exactly as I expected and shipping was fast.

I know some sellers accept Paypal friends and family.

I guess I just got lucky with my purchases.
    Rob

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NiagaraRail For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think one of my problems is I like older trains. I also like to buy locomotive and car parts. Just so the don't go in to garbage. Some like taking advantage of that.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't really had many issues but I stopped using Ebay years ago and Facebook items I will only get if I can pick up in person. The only issue I ever had was an Ebay purchase of a coin from the mint that I had missed out on ordering. I received the coin but the box and certificate were removed. Seeing as this was just a new release I can only assume the seller didn't want me to have a traceable serial number as it was probably stolen. I also belong to an African Grey FB group and easily 9 out of 10 ads posted are all scams. The admin are good at calling these people out but leaving their names up so people can avoid them, but wow, the amount of scammers out there these days is nuts

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Intarsiabox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yet another reason to avoid Facehole and any other social media other than dedicated model train forums.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bikerraypa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,601 Times in 1,159 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've used Facebook to buy and sell N scale trains and have never had a problem. I get more interest there than here (I love y'all, but most of the stuff I buy/sell is modern and intermodal, and I already memorized the handles of the few of you who are also into that, lol...)

That said, don't rely on the Marketplace, which is just an aggregator of various buy & sell posts and is largely based on your location. Join specific model railroad buy/sell groups and post directly to those. Reported scammers are banned from those groups by their respective admins.

These are the N scale buy/sell groups I follow:

N Scale Yard Sale: https://www.facebook.com/groups/296373933816233

N Scale 4 Sale: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1520918341567348

N Scale 4 Sale or Trade: https://www.facebook.com/N-Scale-4-S...77773185858055

Metro Red Ln (Metro Red Line)
    Under the streets of Los Angeles

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MetroRedLn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MetroRedLn View Post
    I've used Facebook to buy and sell N scale trains and have never had a problem. I get more interest there than here (I love y'all, but most of the stuff I buy/sell is modern and intermodal, and I already memorized the handles of the few of you who are also into that, lol...)

That said, don't rely on the Marketplace, which is just an aggregator of various buy & sell posts and is largely based on your location. Join specific model railroad buy/sell groups and post directly to those. Reported scammers are banned from those groups by their respective admins.

These are the N scale buy/sell groups I follow:

N Scale Yard Sale: https://www.facebook.com/groups/296373933816233

N Scale 4 Sale: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1520918341567348

N Scale 4 Sale or Trade: https://www.facebook.com/N-Scale-4-S...77773185858055
    I am part of a couple of those groups. That is where I bought these locomotives.

Canadian N Scale Yard Sale: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2579374145656766

I guess there is bad apples in all of these groups.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,614 Times in 744 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I generally won't buy used locomotives. Too much chance they are garbage. I will buy used cars, but only if I can physically inspect them first. I generally avoid Facebook Marketplace and E-Bay, the latter getting a rare exception for New-Old-Stock (still in shrink wrap) only.

I think many of the people selling used aren't even model railroaders and have no idea what they are selling. It's their kids or dead relative's or whatever and they are just trying to make a buck.
    --
    Leo Bicknell

25. The Following User Says Thank You to bicknell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bicknell View Post
    I generally won't buy used locomotives. Too much chance they are garbage. I will buy used cars, but only if I can physically inspect them first. I generally avoid Facebook Marketplace and E-Bay, the latter getting a rare exception for New-Old-Stock (still in shrink wrap) only.

I think many of the people selling used aren't even model railroaders and have no idea what they are selling. It's their kids or dead relative's or whatever and they are just trying to make a buck.
    A lot of FB Marketplace sellers are flippers who just came upon the nscale stuff and have no idea what it is other than the basic ebay price search they've done on it. They're usually the sellers who describe their sale a "n scale lot". Anythng using "lot" tends to be a flipper. I did see a fellow sell his collection piece by piece locally on fb, decent prices and good quality items, but it seems to have been one of those rare occurances.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiverton18 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see that a lot of people wanting a lot of money for parts stuff. As is $150 for steam loco because they saw it on ebay for $400 in running condition then you scroll down and same loco is $70 and so are the rest. You offer them $40.00 plus the shipping and the get offended.

I'm not a flipper I just would like to see some of these old locos and cars staying out of the landfills. I don't care if they are in pieces. Just don't expect a million dollars for something because you saw it on ebay.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bambamshere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bambamshere View Post
    I see that a lot of people wanting a lot of money for parts stuff. As is $150 for steam loco because they saw it on ebay for $400 in running condition then you scroll down and same loco is $70 and so are the rest. You offer them $40.00 plus the shipping and the get offended.

I'm not a flipper I just would like to see some of these old locos and cars staying out of the landfills. I don't care if they are in pieces. Just don't expect a million dollars for something because you saw it on ebay.
    This mindset has gotten into my other hobbies as well. It's been a process over the last twenty years or so. The rise of eBay and "picker" shows has made people think that any broken piece of crap they find must be a "vintage treasure" of some kind. Stuff that you used to see on the tables at flea markets for 50 cents is now on eBay or Facehole or wherever for a small fortune. It has killed shows and swap meets in every hobby, and driven junk prices sky high.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bikerraypa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bikerraypa View Post
    This mindset has gotten into my other hobbies as well. It's been a process over the last twenty years or so. The rise of eBay and "picker" shows has made people think that any broken piece of crap they find must be a "vintage treasure" of some kind. Stuff that you used to see on the tables at flea markets for 50 cents is now on eBay or Facehole or wherever for a small fortune. It has killed shows and swap meets in every hobby, and driven junk prices sky high.
    I hear ya. I think one of the biggest problems is the reality TV shows. Some guy picks something up and says look I can get $1000 for this piece of crap. Somebody watches that show guy said it's worth $1000 that is where mine will be priced.

It has happened in every hobby. I am also in to vintage video game stuff. It also has gone through the roof

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bambamshere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,614 Times in 744 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bambamshere View Post
    I hear ya. I think one of the biggest problems is the reality TV shows. Some guy picks something up and says look I can get $1000 for this piece of crap. Somebody watches that show guy said it's worth $1000 that is where mine will be priced.
    Yeah, what the shows don't show is the additional work. American Pickers for a while would at least show it in the final cost breakdown. Item $100. Restoration $300. Sale price $1000.

All people see is the item and the sales price, they miss many of these items are professionally restored to fetch it.
    --
    Leo Bicknell

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bicknell For This Useful Post: