Thread: Views from the 'otherside' and a vertual model exhibition.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,980 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Views from the 'otherside' and a vertual model exhibition.

There have recently been posted some photos of n scale 'lady's of the night' that left me asking questions. I personally have no issue with these models but my main question was, is it respectful ?

I am a host on a chat room for lady's working in the afore mentioned profession. Well, when I say host, what I really mean is I'm just sort of a friend whom they bounce thoughts off. So I talked to them about how they felt about their work being portrayed in N scale ? This prompted a lengthy explination of what N scale is. Which was followed by a barrage of mick takes about 'playing with toys' ect. Except one girl who was crying. I asked what was wrong and she said that her dad used to have a big model railway (HO from what I could ascertain) and that he had been crazy about trains. He even bought a disused station were she spent much of her childhood. Until he took his life under a train.
    After hearing this everyone wanted to see my trains. So, I gave them a vertual model exabition. Non of my beautifully scratch built steamers raised any interest except for the Hudson's for their dashing liveries.
    IMG_2939 (2).jpg rsz_img_3206_2.jpg

There were a few 'ah's' when I showed them the Canadian pine forests
    rsz_img_8234_3.jpg

My aliens and Mars had everyone laughing.
    rsz_img_1472_2.jpg

But it was the little fairy that stole the hearts and the show.
    rsz_img_8017_2.jpg

At this point I steared the subject back to how they felt about their profession being represented ? And the sence was 'why ever not' ? Though they were quick to point out that non of them would ever, er, 'reveal' them selves in the described pose of the figures produced by Faller/Noch. They did however find the thought of little naked people very funny and asked why that would be disrespectful ?

I'm not bringing this up to draw conclusions, or to say what's right or wrong, only to help bring about greater consciosness of what we portray.

Please bear in mind, I am a carpenter but not the voice of carpentry if you get my gist.

Happy modeling all of you and keep turning out the quality work.
    Thanks, Tom

Expect nothing except the opposite of what you expect, and then expect it to be something other than that ! Then that's about what it will be

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to tomcook For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,463 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's respectful if portrayed realistically. The real world has good and bad going on, acceptable and unacceptable going on, services provided for paying customers of all kinds.

As long as it presents them as they exist, and not in made-up scenarios that don't actually happen, I don't see the problem.
    Master Po - "Accept the ways of others, respect first your own"

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nskale For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,869 Times in 2,157 Posts
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Food for thought. Thanks, Tom.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,313 Times in 3,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a sense, our model worlds are a statement of how we see the world. That may mean it shows the world as we would like it to be (I am thinking of @baronjutter in this regard, his urban planning seems to be a case study in how things ought to be), or it may mean that we show the things that are significant to us (like industries or place names that are an homage to loved ones, or my own scratch built "Corner Gas" station that is based on the Canadian TV show). What is "right" or "appropriate" to display is a highly subjective thing, it's like asking what is an appropriate subject matter for a painting. I'm not a fan of graffiti, so I don't have any, but that's partly in keeping with my chosen time frame of 1971. I'm not exactly sure when graffiti became commonplace. Another example might be someone who really likes Chrysler and Dodge vehicles, and despises Fords, so all the cars and trucks on their layout come from the preferred auto makers.

Regarding the oldest profession, someone might have a bit of a libertarian streak and wish to make a subtle statement about what they think should be legal by including such a vignette. It might be a conversation starter for them. But just because the scene is included wouldn't mean that the modeler is endorsing the practice. Consider someone who hates the death penalty, who includes a gallows, again as a conversation piece.

There might even be some who advocate heavily in favor of steam, who nonetheless place a diesel into their roster, just so they can talk about how ugly it is! Of course, that diesel should be of an ALCo vintage, since those were honorary steam engines anyways...

Hello. My name is Michael, and I am an ALCo - haul - ic.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,980 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ Nskale, el Gato Gordo WP&P
    Thank you for your feedback, I've been thinking a lot lately about what I model and why. My post was really an extention of that thought prosses and after, what turned into a rather touching dialogue with my 'friends', I felt like sharing it here. Your comments make me glad I did. Thanks.
    Thanks, Tom

Expect nothing except the opposite of what you expect, and then expect it to be something other than that ! Then that's about what it will be

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tomcook For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,022 Posts
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@tomcook Thanks for sharing.

It's encouraging to read someone talking to (some of) the people concerned to find out their standpoint and not about them with a pre-formed standpoint. I feel that's where respect is born, and I read a lot of respect from your post.

Heiko

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting, Tom. Just the other night I re-watched the film "The Equalizer" (no, not the series with the incomparable Edward Woodward, but the movie with Denzel Washington) which (notwithstanding the violence of American films which you might not like, Tom) is about prostitution.

I share the ladies' like for your Royal Hudsons, the fairy, and you other works ... hmm, does that have some inner meaning ... ???

Dave

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 56Pontiac For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,156 Times in 3,272 Posts
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of urban freight rail infrastructure happens to be located in the "seedy" part of towns. Only natural to model dive bars, sketchy dollar stores, and trash and graffiti covered underpasses. Specially if your prototype inspiration has all those things! We all model for different reasons of course. Some are trying to faithfully capture reality in miniature, warts and all. Some are creating an idealized memory of the "good old days", or just not over think things and simply model what's fun.
    Last edited by baronjutter; 8th Apr 2021 at 02:44 PM.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to baronjutter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,770 Times in 879 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People model what they want, what their preferred tastes are, then it's driven by their selected time frame. There's no right or wrong, just what appeals to you.

Tom, I admire your thoughtfulness in seeking your friends' input.
    Please pass on my sympathies to the lass who tragically lost her dad....
    Cheers,

Russ

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosslake For This Useful Post: