Thread: Weekend Update (30th Apr 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Weekend Update (30th Apr 2021)

Please update us on the progress you have made on your MRR projects this week (commencing: 30th Apr 2021).

This weekly thread is to post little snippets about your layout/project progress.
    This is not be a substitute for your layout build thread, but just a mini update on what you got done for the week.

You can link from your layout build thread to your posts in this thread as a part of a more extensive post there, or visa-versa (post to your build thread and link to that post when contributing to this thread.

Click on a post's #number (right-hand end of the post header) to get the URL to that particular post in your browsers address bar.
    Copy and paste this as needed.

So, fellow nSn'ers, what have you been up to this week?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My only railroad-related activity this week wasn't in N scale: I indulged in one of my other pastimes, crossword puzzle construction, to memorialize some of the passenger trains that quit running 50 years ago today when Amtrak was formed.

AmtrakDay.pdf

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Siegmund For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,160 Times in 1,000 Posts
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not Will Shortz but nice!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,062 Times in 2,220 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of work on the Alpenbahn this week, resulting in a little progess. Photos are posted here.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,044 Posts
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
    This was a matter of replacing the trucks with BLMA 100ton trucks and making space for the wheels. Couplers will follow after weathering, a friend said MTL 2004s should fit just fine.
    ...and there they are, along with three plastic pellets hoppers, on which I also body-mounted 1015 couplers in wuttermelon's boxes (look him up on Shapeways) and installed metal wheels:

Just a quick-and-dirty job to make the cars look less squeaky-clean, not the art some people make of their weathering. Oh, and I also added those safety stripes to the centerbeams - and contrary to what I had stuck in my head, the centerbeams also took 1015s, no 2004s.

These pictures are not just for you guys, I'll also print them on my car cards, so that's done already as well

Heiko

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,841 Times in 898 Posts
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Painted my rollingstock last week. 12 log cars, 4 flat cars and 3 box cars. The flats & box cars are MT Civil War cars, 2 of the boxes are actually 'Conductor Cars'.

That's the total cars I'll be running.
    I really should start a thread on this stuff.
    Cheers,
    Russ

CEO Moss Lake Lumber Co.

Pennsylvania logging circa 1890s

10. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to mosslake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,290 Times in 897 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had the Northlander power car on the workbench. As expected - and as the seller wrote - it may have spent too much time sitting in the box in a basement, because the worm gears were completely seized up. I took it apart and gave the motor and worm gears an ultrasound/heptane bath followed by a thorough lube job. That worked miracles. The motor is a Trix skew-wound five poler which now starts at 1.2 volts unloaded and the assembled drive runs very silently. The trucks look like new, so I let them be and just applied a tiny amount of grease on the worm drives.

Now to install a decoder. It's a six pin NEM651 socket, but the headlight arrangement looks a little out of the ordinary ... I'm assuming the lower two lanterns show red tail light as well ...

nScale.net: Elsewhere Yard
    nScale.net: AT&SF West Valley Division (abandoned)
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SteamPower4ever

Failure is always an option.
    - Adam Savage

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to SteamPower4ever For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,062 Times in 2,220 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I expect this Nordlander has the typical 3 white headlight arrangement. Since it is new enough to have the NEM 651 socket, it probably has the lower two headlights become red when this engine is in the trailing position. Nice looking machine, glad you were able to free up the motor and gears!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,290 Times in 897 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by el Gato Gordo View Post
    I expect this Nordlander has the typical 3 white headlight arrangement. Since it is new enough to have the NEM 651 socket, it probably has the lower two headlights become red when this engine is in the trailing position. Nice looking machine, glad you were able to free up the motor and gears!
    It does, yes, but ... the three headlights are yellow. I understand from a German forum that the real world Dutch TEE sets had yellow headlights, and I guess my two sets are from before warm white LEDs became available.

Note also the design. Five LEDs with yellow and red side by side at the two lower positions. Also, it looks like the LEDs may be bare ie. without protective plastic. I discussed it with a friend who has encountered something similar during a conversion.
    Anyway, I've ordered red and warm white 0402 LEDs for replacement.

Oh, and by the way, the problem and the cure was exactly the same for the TEE version

nScale.net: Elsewhere Yard
    nScale.net: AT&SF West Valley Division (abandoned)
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SteamPower4ever

Failure is always an option.
    - Adam Savage

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SteamPower4ever For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the last couple weeks, I've just been running some trains and goofing off, but this week I got back into some scenery and construction. I have a box of SuperTree material that I bought from Scenic Express a long time ago, so I started getting some trees ready. I cut them to size and soaked them in diluted matte medium, then gave them a few shots of paint - flat green, then gray, then camo brown. I'll start getting some foliage on them this weekend (trucks for scale so I can get an idea of which ones need cut down a bit smaller).
    Attached Images Attached Images

18. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to bikerraypa For This Useful Post: