Thread: Another Idea for the SP in The IE

Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 409 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Another Idea for the SP in The IE

Track planning paralysis has set in and I don't know of a cure. The space is as ready as I will likely make it but to begin construction is so final. Once I start I have to keep going and I still don't know if I will be completely happy with the plan.

Sound familiar?

That said it checks many boxes. yard ops, two local jobs( one at a time), and a couple mainline jobs for each direction. The biggest drawback is the lack of a grade requiring helpers in San Timoteo Canyon. I may expand it a bit to gain more aisle space but it wouldn't need much as the pinch points around the island are 32". The yard master would operate from outside the layout on the left in the diagram. The inside more flirtatious part of the layout would likely only have three operators at any time. The street running Riverside branchline serving Consolidated Wheel should be interesting.

Simple build with quite a bit of switching should prove fun.

Concept plan drawn in AnyRail.

singlelevelliftbridge5.30.21.1.jpg
    singlelevelliftbridge5.30.21.1_3D.7.jpg
    John

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to jhn_plsn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,213 Times in 675 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the layout plan. Seriously, it looks like it's gonna be a lot of fun.
    Serdar

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ssoysal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 1,406 Posts
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a good basic concept. Let's break that "paralysis" and get to building!
    Northern Pacific and Black Hills RR in N, of course!!
    Aian, CEO, COO, Engineer, Gopher and everything else!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to badlandnp For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,664 Times in 2,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once you start building, you will make changes to the track plan. So you might as well get started.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by el Gato Gordo View Post
    Once you start building, you will make changes to the track plan. So you might as well get started.
    Oh yea!

The advantage, in my opinion, of protolancing is that the prototype info is always there to guide my decisions. I shoot for a flavor of the area rather than the exact setting allowing some leeway for adjustments to make it fun and interesting.

Now where did I leave that gold bar so I can buy plywood?
    John

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jhn_plsn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, John. Maybe you do want to wait a month or so. National news said lumber prices will be coming down, supply is catching up to demand.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks good! I knew how I wanted my bench work and main line to look so I got far but I’m still designing my yard, industries and 2 more towns. I installed the turnouts to nowhere but this gives me time to try new track plans and get more ideas for what buildings I want and scenery design. This way I’m still forging ahead and building things but have lots of time to design the layout I’m satisfied with.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Intarsiabox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Who knew, another iteration.

A bit more space for everyone and everything. Except my shop space has diminished.
    2021-06-05 (1).jpg
    2021-06-05 (2).jpg
    John

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jhn_plsn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice long running plan! May I suggest that (looking at the 3D image) it might be better without the divider closest to the camera? That section is plenty wide enough for the tracks and removing the divider will simplify running trains.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by el Gato Gordo View Post
    Nice long running plan! May I suggest that (looking at the 3D image) it might be better without the divider closest to the camera? That section is plenty wide enough for the tracks and removing the divider will simplify running trains.
    The divider is there to help create the illusion that one end of the yard is West Colton the other Indio. The engineer/conductor would be forced to focus on the area of the arrival/departure tracks viewed from the inside of the layout. The yard hostler and yard master does the rest, i.e. servicing power and such. My main concern is time. The yard is always what holds up the operations. The idea is to not have hidden staging or a massive helix to get to and from it. Some trains that arrive on either side of the yard will be set on a holding/staging track while others would be parked on a A/D track for loco service and car exchange/classification.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Gordon. Every tidbit helps.
    John

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jhn_plsn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right! You know what you are aiming to do. I look forward to seeing this built, @jhn_plsn.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bit more progress. Of course I reserve the right to make changes. haha
    2021-06-13 (4).jpg
    2021-06-13 (2).jpg
    John

22. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jhn_plsn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like it, and I have 1 question. For the street-running branchline to Riverside, you actually have room for a lot more industries. Are you choosing to keep the trackwork simple, opting for fewer but larger industries, or both? Just wanted to hear your thinking. I'm facing a similar dilemma myself.

Thanks
    Serdar

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ssoysal View Post
    I like it, and I have 1 question. For the street-running branchline to Riverside, you actually have room for a lot more industries. Are you choosing to keep the trackwork simple, opting for fewer but larger industries, or both? Just wanted to hear your thinking. I'm facing a similar dilemma myself.

Thanks
    I have a couple lines of thought about the industries and operations.
    1. Add every industry I can find and fill it up. The result could become overloaded and the operations aspect might become more tedious than desired taking away from the fun factor. It does not take much to make it interesting. See https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6H...De2AyqGNqAP1Uw for a nice example.
    2. Build the industries with higher car counts. Simplifies ops and leaves more room for supporting scenic elements. I enjoy working a longer cut rather than one or two cars per move.
    3. I have a couple ideas on handling the locals. One is to have a large Colton Local serve everything in the valley. So a train would pull into one of the three tracks between RR Recyclers and the double main. Those three tracks will be his home base while he serves Loma Linda, Old Colton, and the Riverside Branchline. That would be a large local train. My other idea would be to have a separate Riverside Job from the Colton Job, which is what I am leaning toward. Beaumont and Banning would be another local that may have a dedicated crew. This would require some trains to drop and pick up from a holding track nearby. If I remember correctly Beaumont/Banning was served out of Indio so that local would run from the other end of the yard.

All that said, its a free flowing process which may, and likely change, over time. The idea is to keep a few people busy having fun with trains.

My most hated trade-off in this design is there is no grade in San Timoteo requiring helpers. That would be fun. I will only include the S's and be grudgingly done with the canyon.
    John

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jhn_plsn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you John for going into the details of how you're thinking of operations. It is super helpful. Really appreciate you taking the time to go into details.
    Serdar

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another edit, of course.

I attempted to bring RR Recyclers in its entirety along one wall, but failed. I was able to give Colton a bit more room and the Riverside Branchline some scenic space. I added the industries I want in Beaumont/Banning but it may change.

At least I am getting closer to obtaining the flavor of the areas I hope to represent. I need to double my garage space to represent the San Timoteo grade but it is what it is. I am determined not to have a huge helix to get to another level and a Nolix still complicates the build.

The scary part is without the yard there are 37 turnouts so far including one double crossover. I could reduce two sidings, one in RR Recyclers and the other in the Riverside Branchline. I keep running it in my head and those reductions would make running the locals a PITA. I don't think it would be worth the four turnout reduction.
    2021-06-22 (2).jpg
    John

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jhn_plsn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you are right about not eliminating those turnouts, John. This is a hobby, so there is no hurry about buying turnouts and no need to do it all at once.

I suggest getting what you need to start each section, but leave track stubs where you will later add turnouts to yard and industries. These can then easily be expanded later. Who knows, other ideas may occur to you in the meantime.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So as I have been adding industries and supporting track work I have spread things out a bit. The siding at Colton and Loma Linda have become one long siding but the Colton area sure looks better with 9th street aligning closer to reality. The Santa Fe connection will be a freemoN connection. As much as I don't car for the modular approach I could easily build this as modules. I can see only three people at most running on this at once, and that's OK as most of the time I will be running it alone.
    2021-06-24 (2).jpg
    John

31. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jhn_plsn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are some deliriously happy operators!
    Serdar

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Alcohol Laced Spit Balls

I just keep rethinking what I really want out of a layout and keep going back to my main three desires. Yard ops, mainline traffic(w/helpers is a plus), and switching action. I considered letting the yard go in exchange for longer switching areas but kept going back to a working yard in my head.
    So here is a very rough idea that seems would not be overly complex to build yet give me much of what I want. Unfortunately 9th street running on the Riverside branch would not be included. It would start at about 45" in the peninsula in a 5 track staging yard feeding West Colton(48"apx). West Colton would be operated from outside the layout and feed the rest of the first level. At Redlands(48") a grade would start and become significant through San Timoteo Canyon requiring helpers around the peninsula up to Beaumont. I would raise the floor a bit in that section for easier switching. Then around the walls back to the peninsula and Indio/staging and 5 track return loop.
    2021-06-27 (2).jpg

Model Railroading sure if fun, but I cannot say the same for track planning and the commitment to not start over and over ........
    John

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jhn_plsn For This Useful Post: