Thread: Weekend Update (11th Jun 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Weekend Update (11th Jun 2021)

Please update us on the progress you have made on your MRR projects this week (commencing: 11th Jun 2021).

This weekly thread is to post little snippets about your layout/project progress.
    This is not be a substitute for your layout build thread, but just a mini update on what you got done for the week.

You can link from your layout build thread to your posts in this thread as a part of a more extensive post there, or visa-versa (post to your build thread and link to that post when contributing to this thread.

Click on a post's #number (right-hand end of the post header) to get the URL to that particular post in your browsers address bar.
    Copy and paste this as needed.

So, fellow nSn'ers, what have you been up to this week?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Admin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New lease unit on the Housatonic RR

I just had a new addition arrive for the locomotive roster on my N scale Housatonic RR. Although I am modeling the early 2000's I added a leaser unit so I can try for a more recent look to the layout. The actual HRRC currently has a few of their GP35's out of service and some GATX/GMTX lease units are helping pick up the slack. I added a GMTX GP38. I still have to renumber it to be the #2346. It is a Bachmann N scale GP38, with factory sound. I will also need to tweak the CV's and break it in a bit, but it is not bad out of the box. Here it is seen assisting HRRC 3600 in switching out Specialty Minerals in Canaan. I included a proto photo from RailPictures.net for reference. https://www.railpictures.net/showima...08&key=3505270
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 1,529 Times in 145 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by POMPERAUGRR View Post
    I just had a new addition arrive for the locomotive roster on my N scale Housatonic RR.
    Nice job! I have both of Atlas' Housatonic GP releases along with the caboose. While I don't prototype model I collect and run roads in CT. primarily GRS/Pan Am but if it runs in my state it's worth my money. I live in Waterbury so they're in my back yard so to speak.
    " You can do anything if you have enthusiasm. With it there is accomplishment, without it there are only alibis " - Henry Ford

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Power Stroke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,529 Times in 145 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been doing detail work. Added some Cherry Blossoms for some color. Added a third fuel tank to a Herpa KW, redid some of the chrome accents, tinted the cab windows, and while I tried to do the sleeper I couldn't get it off the frame and I didn't want to damage it so onward, and upwards. Built a couple of boat docks, and poured the initial layer of WS realistic water. More details to come as it never ends.

002 by snwbluebyyou, on Flickr

008 by snwbluebyyou, on Flickr

006 by snwbluebyyou, on Flickr

018 by snwbluebyyou, on Flickr

013 by snwbluebyyou, on Flickr

022 by snwbluebyyou, on Flickr

027 by snwbluebyyou, on Flickr

037 by snwbluebyyou, on Flickr

032 by snwbluebyyou, on Flickr

Have an OUTSTANDING week!
    " You can do anything if you have enthusiasm. With it there is accomplishment, without it there are only alibis " - Henry Ford

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to POMPERAUGRR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last couple of weeks I havenít had all the time i wanted, but managed to get one project done.
    I soldered the rail to the curve on my mainline track (the furthest right):

0C06F26D-A79A-483F-9C77-5B507850A660.jpg

10. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Frank17913 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,474 Times in 2,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been working on the catenary for the middle level. I have most of the masts and wires installed, but I thought I would post this photo to show progress and my method of temporary tensioning. I still need to solder the lower wires to the arms on the 8 masts closest to the viewer.

If I were to solder the upper, messenger, wire, that would interfere with the tension on the lower contact wire. This is a slow, painstaking process, and I am posting this while waiting for some glue to dry.
    Last edited by el Gato Gordo; 14th Jun 2021 at 03:17 PM.

12. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,450 Times in 434 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inspired by the efforts of the late Jimmi Boyer, I decided to start my own museum project. Here's the windows and wings prep:
    20210616_110435_resized.jpg
    AT64

A man either lives life as it happens to him, meets it head-on, and licks it. Or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away. Dr. Phillip Boyce

14. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to astrotrain64 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 405 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by POMPERAUGRR View Post
    I just had a new addition arrive for the locomotive roster on my N scale Housatonic RR. Although I am modeling the early 2000's I added a leaser unit so I can try for a more recent look to the layout. The actual HRRC currently has a few of their GP35's out of service and some GATX/GMTX lease units are helping pick up the slack. I added a GMTX GP38. I still have to renumber it to be the #2346. It is a Bachmann N scale GP38, with factory sound. I will also need to tweak the CV's and break it in a bit, but it is not bad out of the box. Here it is seen assisting HRRC 3600 in switching out Specialty Minerals in Canaan. I included a proto photo from RailPictures.net for reference. https://www.railpictures.net/showima...08&key=3505270
    Thanks for the side by side photos. Good stuff for sure. Looks like the quarries in your area have a powdery white overlay where here in socal it is a light brown with a tinge of green. That stuff stays with ya for a spell if you walk in it and track it into a vehicle.The large stones along the tracks was a common site years ago around here, but more than anything nowadays they put in K rail.

I do hope you show progress photos of this scene.
    John

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jhn_plsn For This Useful Post: