Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,823 Times in 893 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Potential buyer beware...Modernrails.com

I sent a simple and friendly email to Ricky Rupp, proprietor of modernrails.com to see if I could get his Fauerbach beer reefer decals in N scale, he only offers them in HO. He replied by asking me how many I wanted. I replied with a question, "How many would be worth your while?"

He sent this nasty response.

FIND THE DECALS YOU WANT ELSEWHERE. I ASKED HOW MANY YOU WANT. THAT IS WHY I NOTE ON MY WEBSITE NO N SCALE.

I sent him an appropriate response suggesting self-inflicted fornication. There's no need for this. This is the kind of a-hole that gives everyone a bad name.

Checking back on his website, it does say "N Scale Not Available" greyed out below the logo, but then he has N Scale in his menu. Clearly we are dealing with a real genius. It's a shame, because I wanted to make up some Fauerbach reefers in honor of my dear departed buddy Chris Fauerbach, grandson of the last brewmaster of the Fauerbach Brewery, who passed away recently. I even put that in my original email to the guy. What a jerk.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,055 Times in 1,942 Posts
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sorry I don't see a buyer beware here . He states no N Scale . So to ask him for something he doesn't deal in , in the first place is your mistake . He probably wanted to know if it was worth the trouble to make up something He doesn't carry . I get his question .

I feel this is a bit of a unwarranted rant

Steve

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aflica For This Useful Post:

Delray Beach, Florida, USA - Ex Busselton, Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,973 Times in 1,340 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let’s proceed with caution.
    Nothing derogatory, no vendor bashing.
    Bryan
    “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,886 Times in 3,461 Posts
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aflica View Post

I feel this is a bit of a unwarranted rant

Steve
    I'm in 100 percent agreement with Steve. There are other decal vendors who do cater to N scale who perhaps should have been contacted instead. Step on the tiger's tail, expect an unhappy tiger.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Ol' Curmudgeon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,623 Times in 1,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bummer yeah, but there's no law anywhere that every model RR manufacturer has to cater to N scale. It just opens the opportunity for N scale-only/specializing manufacturers to come up to the plate, of which there are many notable ones.

Metro Red Ln (Metro Red Line)
    Under the streets of Los Angeles

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroRedLn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, at the very least, his customer service skills stink. I think that much is evident.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,886 Times in 3,461 Posts
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by P-LineSoo View Post
    Well, at the very least, his customer service skills stink. I think that much is evident.
    One customer getting kicked out of a Chinese restaurant because they insist on ordering lasagna isn't necessarily indicative of the restaurant's poor customer-service skills.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to The Ol' Curmudgeon For This Useful Post:

SOO

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ok, so you don't get it. Fine. His website is confusing. He has N Scale in his menu on the left, then states that he doesn't carry N scale. This is what prompted me to email him in the first place. Decals aren't hard, especially when all you have to do is scale down decals you already have on your computer from HO to N. He did ask me how many I wanted. I replied with what I thought was a polite response, I didn't want to say "I want two" or something ridiculous. I wanted to know how many he needed to make to make it worthwhile to him. A sheet? 10 sheets? 50 sheets? Because I know that they would be fairly popular in my region, I would have ordered them and resold the excess if it was a fair price.

But instead of a polite response, I got rude, all CAPS YELLING AT ME. Telling me to take my business elsewhere, which I most happily have. Except that now I need to come up with the artwork myself.

Some of you don't see this as a bad experience? It's my fault for asking someone if I can give them money in return for goods? A special order? Especially one that takes next to zero effort on his end...anyone with image manipulating software could scale down an existing decal set to N in about 2 seconds and hit "Print". I deserved to be treated like this? How would he know that I don't also model in HO? Wow...you must have some real nasty vendors in your area to find this acceptable.

Well, that may be ok in some of you folk's book, but not mine. If Ricky could have controlled his temper, he would have received a nice order.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,038 Times in 278 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not as easy as it sounds. If he is printing on a ALPs printed then yes, but those are getting old and hard to find. If silk screening or pad printing then take a new master screenf a finer mess then required in HO and larger scales. I live next door to a major silkscreen **** manufacture and no way he could do N scale decals even though the process is the same. Try finding a printer for under a few( many ) thousands of dollars they3just are not out there, maybe some of the wide format printers can but they can't do decals. If there is no white in the logo you can print your own as not that hard.

rich

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not to flog a dead horse, Rich, but he already offers the exact decal that I wanted, but in O and HO. No white. It would have been an easy sale.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,325 Times in 1,074 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I agree he certainly could have handled it better.

So moving forward, what's to take away from this? People don't read what you think you are writing

Maybe next time respond with something akin to "I need two sets, but I guess you need to sell more to make it worth your while - how many would that be?" so he has less chance to misunderstand your question?

And we don't know if it would have been an easy sale. We can assume that, we can guess from his answer that it might not be, but to actually know, he'd have to tell you instead of yelling at you.

Heiko

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 446 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My two cents, if someone placed their rant on the main page of their website like they have done. Regardless if I have done business with them before and running the same scale decals as I am running. They will lose my business.
    Gads! I think that he posted the rant between the two of you.
    Cheers!
    Clayton

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,425 Times in 3,981 Posts
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MoPac View Post
    if someone placed their rant on the main page of their website like they have done.
    I've been staying away from this, but that got my attention and I just had to take a look.
    Holy moly, what an unfriendly front page!

It seems like the proprietor types in ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME (except for a few instances like when giving the email address, which makes it seem like the all caps might be a stylistic choice) so what might be taken for rudeness might not be. But even granting that, a read through the front page "warning" certainly makes me wary of ever dealing with them.

Which, in the end, means that a "buyer beware" warning isn't actually needed, since he has placed one of his own on his front doorstep!

I do agree with @Heiko in that the way the question was asked could have been a bit less terse and more careful to get across the right sense. I could see a potential outcome being, rather than have him produce N sets, just obtain a license to use his artwork and hand it over to some other producer who is more willing to work in N scale. In other words, rather than buy decals, you buy the artwork. But that would have taken some negotiation, and it seems like that might have been a tall ask from this proprietor, negotiation doesn't seem like what he wants to do.

Hello. My name is Michael, and I am an ALCo - haul - ic.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, all good in the end. I'm working with a local decal guy who is known for excellent work, and learning my way through Adobe Illustrator, which I've always wanted to learn. I'm a Photoshop wizard (and I am not tooting my horn, but I've worked with it extensively for over 25 years dating back to Photoshop 3) but haven't done squat with vector graphics up until today. It'll all turn out well in the end...

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 432 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yer all fired ! now lets go have coffee and sweet stuff

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sid For This Useful Post: