Thread: Weekend Update (17th Sep 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Weekend Update (17th Sep 2021)

Please update us on the progress you have made on your MRR projects this week (commencing: 17th Sep 2021).

This weekly thread is to post little snippets about your layout/project progress.
    This is not be a substitute for your layout build thread, but just a mini update on what you got done for the week.

You can link from your layout build thread to your posts in this thread as a part of a more extensive post there, or visa-versa (post to your build thread and link to that post when contributing to this thread.

Click on a post's #number (right-hand end of the post header) to get the URL to that particular post in your browsers address bar.
    Copy and paste this as needed.

So, fellow nSn'ers, what have you been up to this week?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I needed a few more flatcars as I only had one Con-Cor from the early 80's. Micro-Trains ran a special over the recent Labor day holiday.
    I ordered 5 of these undecorated flatcars. I model the early 70's centered mainly on the NYC and GN. I looked through my decal box and these
    are the 5 I ended up going with. None are modeled after any prototype as this is what I had on hand and decided to use.
    D&H20136-2.jpgGN11400-2.jpgNYC38938-2.jpgPRR59469-2.jpgSPS13317-2.jpg
    Last edited by NYC54; 17th Sep 2021 at 03:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Years ago, though I tested thoroughly, I had an Atlas #10Left turnout throw the pivot of the point rail. Made the hidden, lowest level storage tracks unusable. So, I managed to finally get to removing the offending turnout which I had embedded in latex adhesive.
    Did I mention it was on the lowest level (of 3) on the hidden storage tracks? I hope the install goes better!
    [IMG][/IMG]

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Woody709acy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,561 Times in 413 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little progress was made while taking a couple days for a root canal. I don't care for the light colored foliage so will have to modify a bit. I do plan to add trees and whatever else I think of. The water is one layer of Envirotex Lite with a drop of green/black and olive green. I should get the next layer on today with a bit of blue.

20210916_210203.jpg
    John

6. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to jhn_plsn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,932 Times in 962 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steam days at the Danish railway museum this weekend.

For the last couple of years there's been no mainline steam at all here in Denmark. This is mostly due to all the main lines being electrified and/or modernised with the new ERTMS signalling system which is being rolled out nationwide. With ERTMS all the line side signals will disappear, which basically shuts down mainline vintage trains completely. So - when the museum arranged a weekend where all operational steamers in the country (except one) are present AND there's a mainline doubleheader run, naturally I'd go.

It was a lovely day and the rain stayed away. I spent a few hours at the museum and then lineside to catch the doubleheader, and I met a lot of old friends and acquaintances along the way. Video to follow, but here's a screenshot from the raw footage with K class no. 563 and 564 at the museum, seen from the roof of the parking house across the street.

nScale.net: Elsewhere Yard
    nScale.net: AT&SF West Valley Division (abandoned)
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SteamPower4ever

Failure is always an option.
    - Adam Savage

8. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to SteamPower4ever For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second poor has not yet set up but looks pretty good. The name of the module is Split Rock.
    20210918_194411.jpg
    20210918_194453.jpg
    20210918_194505.jpg
    John

10. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to jhn_plsn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still some work with adding trees but the ballast is in and the water dry for now. I may add a layer of either Envirotex or Mod Podge to reduce the blue 'SHOCK' color. After some photo taking I miss the sky walls in the room. I need a solution to go with the modules.

Good progress on something I have never done before. Fun stuff for sure.

20210919_171025.jpg
    John

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jhn_plsn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,037 Times in 2,476 Posts
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The stream is looking Good! You can get some nice ripple effects with Modge Podge, applied with a small brush between stones. One can also use a little snow to get foam where appropriate.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Weekend Housatonic RR progress

I finally had a chance to get a little more work done on these locomotives. This was my first attempt at custom body modifications and painting N scale locos. Scratch and kitbashed modifications are complete along with basic paint and decals on my Housatonic RR Rs3M (#9935), GP7 (#1802) and GP9 (#7324). The #1802 and # 7324 are also now fully DCC and sound equipped. The RS3M is only DCC at this time. Sound may come some day. N scale number boards are not fun.

I will get around to weathering these at some point, but they are "good enough" for me at this point. Please excuse the poorly focused cell phone grab photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to POMPERAUGRR For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,037 Times in 2,476 Posts
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by POMPERAUGRR View Post
    This was my first attempt at custom body modifications and painting N scale locos.
    This doesn't look like a first attempt. Very professional!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the issues that the T1 is having. I got a nice tech support letter from Soundtrax, tried what they suggested, no change. So I cut out the KA3 and, still no help. Ain't positive just what I will be doing, but it is going to change. Here's the tech letter from Soundtrax, Great support!! Just wish it would have helped.... Also took it open to access the Circuit board in the loco, inspected and saw no issues. Still pondering.

Support <support@soundtraxx.com>
    Fri, Sep 17, 10:10 AM (3 days ago)

to me

Alan,
    I’m not sure the issue is in the loco.. Here’s why. First, lets talk about the loco. When it’s stopping, the blue pilot light is not going out, which would indicate the stay alive is not working, but toward the end, I do notice the lights flickering.. You said the model had poor track pickups, so the stay alive will keep the decoder running for ~5-6 seconds, but takes 45-90 seconds to charge. So, the flickering light may be due to the stay alive running out of power and not having time to recharge before being called on for more power. To test this, if you start noticing the light flickering, stop the model, let the SA charge up, then run it and see if the light stops flickering. Also, if you enabled DC in CV 29, this could be a result also of the bad track. When the decoder loses the DCC signal, if analog mode is enabled, the decoder reverts to DC mode, then with no input power, in DC mode, the loco reads that as a stop command, then starts to slow/stop the loco. If these pickups are that poor, make sure DC mode is disabled fully in CV 29.
    Second, The decoder has no free will of its own. It follows the NMRA DCC commands being sent to it. This means that if a decoder starts ‘acting up’ or starts some erratic behavior, then there is something in the commands. This, to me was illustrated when the loco was running at speed, then seemed to be ‘slowing’ and then speeding up. This is not a feature of the decoder, so there are no CVs to adjust to mimic this behavior, so then we look at the DCC system and the commands. If the DC mode is disabled, then this leads me to look at errant DCC commands also intended for the loco’s address. Since we cannot ‘see’ the DCC commands like we could a variable voltage DC powerpack (with a multimeter set to DC volts), we make assumptions that the command on my ‘active’ throttle is the only DCC commands being sent. In a perfect world, the system would realize that you are sending commands from your throttle and override/erase any other DCC commands, but alas, we do not live in that DCC utopia. NCE is one of the better ones when it comes to this, but it is not immune. Many times, there can be multiple commands being sent from the DCC command queue to the decoder’s address. Even if this DCC command is stop, with all functions off, the command is being sent, so the decoder, again, having no free will of its own, just ‘follows orders’. This may appear that the decoder is acting up, but in reality, it’s just doing what it’s told..
    On the NCE throttle, there is a button labeled ‘recall’. This allows you to toggle between multiple loco addresses when running. This then allows your hand-held throttle to become 2 or 4 separate throttles. This can be a cause of the multiple commands being sent.. There are some quirks with the NCE that I have not personally figured out how and why, but I know sometimes when I see some of these issues, I reset the DCC system. In the case of the unresponsive bell. We have a NCE PowerCab that occasionally gets to the point where it’s not sending out commands, so again, I reset the system. But, in your case, this could be 1 of 2 things, either the cab is internally freezing as I mentioned here, or the F1 bell is being sent as off by the ‘phantom’ command, and your F1 on command is being overridden faster than the decoder can respond. I have seen this happen too. There are other DCC systems that the phantom command is more prevalent, and you can occasionally get the F3 short horn to constantly blow. It’s not the decoder misbehaving, it’s the DCC command sending the commands.
    My recommendation is first, reset the decoder (CV 8 to 8, cycle the power) and then reset the DCC system (in the Menu option: Set CMD Parameters) and with a freshly reset DCC system (all DCC commands cleared out) and the reset decoder (CV 29 defaulted to DC disabled) and see what happens. Again, let the Stay Alive module fully charge, then run and watch the lights as it runs and see if the flickering gets worse as it runs.. Ideally, the decoder gets the bulk of the power form the track, which also gets the DCC signal to the decoder. Try this and let me know what you find. I have never seen this behavior be a result of issues with he decoder. We do hand-test every one here before it leaves, and during the design phase, we endurance tested the hardware to make sure that once it works, it works. But, if you cannot find anything else, and the above yields no good results, then you are welcome to send it in and we can take a look and confirm whether it is or is not in the decoder. Here, we test on a NCE system with wires hard-wired to the decider directly so we get the power supply out of the issues list. If you do decide you want to send it in, Remove the decoder from the model and send the decoder in along with a copy of the receipt (dated within 90-days for warranty, otherwise a $45 service fee will be applicable) and the Service Request Form: https://soundtraxx.com/content/decoderservice.pdf and we will get this handled as quickly as we can for you..
    Here is a quick overview of the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uibBeWKur68
    I hope this helps. Let us know if you need any further assistance. Feel free to reach out and I’ll help any way I can.
    Thank you!
    Northern Pacific and Black Hills RR in N, of course!!
    Aian, CEO, COO, Engineer, Gopher and everything else!

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to badlandnp For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,077 Times in 488 Posts
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I received this kit Monday morning and I like the results of the quality of design. I bought this from rollysrailroadmodels off of Instagram. He will be selling his items soon on eBay under the same name.

F25BB543-1479-4D7C-AB3C-B7E86C7E2F3F.jpg8D7F8FC2-D683-441E-BBE6-921EA1000EF8.jpg0CE7B1FA-E0E1-4E0A-A0DB-77FC25F58317.jpgE6354A4C-1017-46F1-A97E-6D6F25972603.jpgC5A57A38-32A4-4EF9-8258-30C946C7ACFD.jpg
    Cheers!
    Clayton

22. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to MoPac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,932 Times in 962 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my video from the 'Steam Days' event at the railway museum last weekend.
    Enjoy

nScale.net: Elsewhere Yard
    nScale.net: AT&SF West Valley Division (abandoned)
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SteamPower4ever

Failure is always an option.
    - Adam Savage

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SteamPower4ever For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,113 Times in 973 Posts
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoyed that video! Always good to see steam in action, especially such well kept locos.
    Thanks @SteamPower4ever
    Cheers,
    Russ

CEO Moss Lake Lumber Co.

Pennsylvania logging circa 1890s

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mosslake For This Useful Post: