Thread: Never seen a train hit a car hauler before.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Never seen a train hit a car hauler before.

This is a pretty interesting video that popped up today, probably one of the most spectacular RR crossing accidents I've seen. Thankfully only minor injuries. Must have been pretty shocking to be a passenger and see a car fly past you on the second floor of a superliner. The engineers dodged a bullet too, that van more or less hits the cab of the locomotive, it's very lucky they were in a locomotive rather than a cab-car. Really unusual consist also for all the trainspotters. You can see the driver trying to warn the train, but we all no there's no way it could have stopped in time.

Lesson of the day: be aware of the ground clearance of your vehicle so you don't high-center yourself on railroad tracks.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to drosera88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,034 Times in 3,726 Posts
    Mentioned
    288 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

OMG!
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

Support the natural selection process, remove the warning labels....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! That SUV on top got tossed like it was a Hotwheel!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,036 Times in 1,483 Posts
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Physics, basic physics. Great practical demonstration of inertia and force and energy displacement. Wonderful!!!!!

Northern Pacific and Black Hills RR in N, of course!!
    Aian, CEO, COO, Engineer, Gopher and everything else!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to badlandnp For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,444 Times in 876 Posts
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drosera88 View Post
    but we all no there's no way it could have stopped in time.
    I understand the physics and a train moving at any appreciable speed being unable to stop quickly, but this got me thinking... in a situation where a truck/car/trailer/etc is stalled on the tracks at a grade crossing, don't we have the technology to have sensors that alert the train crew that the crossing is fouled so they can slow down and prepare to stop much much sooner? Well before the crossing arms start to lower a simple detection sensor can check for stalled vehicles on the tracks and signal an alert if it perceives a problem. I'm sure it comes down to $$$, but the cost to develop and install such a system in order to save lives and reduce damage and trauma, as well as the cost saved from avoiding an investigation and clean up, would be comparatively small. It just seems like many of these videos I've seen involve a stalled/stuck vehicle and should be preventable.

Just my 2 cents worth of thoughts after seeing the video. That and wow those cars are tossed around like nothing to the train.
    Bronman - "That's just dumb, D-U-M, dumb."

My Layout Build Thread - The Spokane & Eastern Washington
    - Featuring the Burlington Northern, Union Pacific, Canadian Pacific, Montana Rail Link and Amtrak in Spokane and Eastern Washington in the mid-1990's.

Stuff for Free, Sale, Trade and that I'm looking for.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bronman View Post
    I understand the physics and a train moving at any appreciable speed being unable to stop quickly, but this got me thinking... in a situation where a truck/car/trailer/etc is stalled on the tracks at a grade crossing, don't we have the technology to have sensors that alert the train crew that the crossing is fouled so they can slow down and prepare to stop much much sooner? Well before the crossing arms start to lower a simple detection sensor can check for stalled vehicles on the tracks and signal an alert if it perceives a problem. I'm sure it comes down to $$$, but the cost to develop and install such a system in order to save lives and reduce damage and trauma, as well as the cost saved from avoiding an investigation and clean up, would be comparatively small. It just seems like many of these videos I've seen involve a stalled/stuck vehicle and should be preventable.

Just my 2 cents worth of thoughts after seeing the video. That and wow those cars are tossed around like nothing to the train.
    100% they could, but it's a more complicated affair than systems that detect issues with rails or Positive Train Control systems.

The problem is that railroad crossings have a much wider variety of things that are potential issues, which requires a much wider variety of sensors, sophistication, and gadgetry to detect due to differences in vehicle types. You also would have to consider that pedestrians and bicyclists would require a whole different set of instruments to detect than normal road vehicles.

There's also a lot of things that could cause false alarms that would cause expensive delays. Since railroad crossings have vehicles constantly going over them, wear and tear on sensors and equipment would likely be high, equipment could potentially be damaged or destroyed in accidents that don't actually pose a hazard to rail traffic, vandals could damage or destroy equipment, and there would likely need to be a high level of human oversight via cameras or in-person visits to help differentiate false alarms from actual hazards.

There's also the issue of how most crossing accidents are people being stupid or unaware rather than getting stuck on the tracks (i.e. trying to beat the train). In these instances, any detection system would be useless because the vehicle doesn't actually obstruct the tracks until it's too late to stop the train anyways. Most of the time, when a vehicle gets stuck, there is enough time and line of sight to allow whoever is in the vehicle to get clear of the tracks, as well as enough time for the engineer to see the hazard and at least begin slowing the train down to reduce the chances of a collision turning into a major derailment.

Plus, in the vast majority of railroad crossing collisions, the train wins, and the car just gets obliterated with no major damage done to the train. When derailments do occur, it is usually due to something unusually heavy or large (such as a heavy piece of construction equipment) or unusual circumstances (a passenger train where the locomotive is pushing, and the vehicle is struck by a passenger car rather than the locomotive, like the 2005 Metrolink Glendale crash, which was an intentional act).

Overall, for freight, the risk of problems is low enough that such systems aren't worth it. It's easier to just build crossings that don't pose a risk of high-centering trailers. This crossing was very rural, and the odds of this happening were probably very low, so the railroad never decided to make the crossing flatter. There were almost certainly signs warning of this (though I can't say for sure).

On tracks where collisions are a major threat to life and property (i.e. high speed passenger lines), it's easier to just get rid of railroad crossings all together and stick with grade separation.

Deterrents and public awareness are the primary way of preventing accidents. You can't fix stupid, but you can make those who aren't stupid more aware of how not to get hit by a train in the first place.

Pic related, the most sophisticated state of the art high-centering deterrent system on the market: a sign

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to drosera88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 954 Posts
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really unusual consist also for all the trainspotters.
    That has been a typical consist for the Heartland Flyer since its inception. I rode it both directions shortly after that run started, here’s a picture before leaving FT. Worth on 12/30/2000.

It operates push pull between OKC and Ft. Worth so it doesn’t have to be turned in OKC. The number of cars varies based on demand.
    For decoder installation and JMRI services, please visit http://www.bentraildigital.com
    For n-scale intermodal information, please visit http://nscaleintermodal.com

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pbender For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,173 Times in 501 Posts
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bronman View Post

Agreed! What drosera88 mentioned is what is currently available. A great start is the gates not going all the way down should be an simple alarm signal that is sent to the crew and the dispatcher. After watching most of these crashes on YouTube and such. 9 times out of ten the gates don’t come down all the way or they will be broken off the arm of the signal itself. Putting sensors on the signals shouldn’t cost the railroad or maybe be funded by Uncle Sam should help with most of the tractor trailer and bus to train crashes. The thing is that I disagree with him about.”, if it did happen most of the time it would cost the railroad big money to replace the broken equipment and retest the tracks to be deemed safe for future travel. Then the cost of the cleanup. Regardless who’s at fault. Then there’s always the situation in which lives are lost.
    Cheers!
    Clayton

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MoPac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 449 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

idoit driver knew better and thats my story sticking to it too............

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sid For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I stated above, I'm thinking specifically about vehicles that are stalled on the tracks. The ones going around the cross arms because they are in a hurry can't be helped. Even if there was a sensor it would be too late to apply the train brakes for those.

I don't know what the statistics are in regard to stalled/high centered vehicles but it seems common enough that someone's money should be invested in prevention, whether it's state/federal government or federal regulations that require the railroads to implement and fund it.

Another piece to this is that stalled vehicles don't generally result in fatalities, as usually the occupants upon hearing the crossing bell generally utter a profanity indicating a change of underwear might be in order before high tailing it out of harm's way.

Having said that though, there is always a chance for a fatality. The video posted above shows just how easily even an SUV can become a projectile after a collision with a train. Not to mention the trauma the train crew must suffer. After all, they probably have no clue whether the vehicle struck was occupied or not until after the train has stopped and authorities make contact with them.

If the government can try to pass a $3.5 trillion spending bill and include funds for a certain congresswoman's favorite park, why can't an actual problem be solved?

What's funny is the reason I'm so moved about this is that I don't like to see bad things happen to good trains.

- Featuring the Burlington Northern, Union Pacific, Canadian Pacific, Montana Rail Link and Amtrak in Spokane and Eastern Washington in the mid-1990's.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pbender View Post
    That has been a typical consist for the Heartland Flyer since its inception. I rode it both directions shortly after that run started, here’s a picture before leaving FT. Worth on 12/30/2000.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rrpa_photos/102909/PC300266.JPG

It operates push pull between OKC and Ft. Worth so it doesn’t have to be turned in OKC. The number of cars varies based on demand.
    I had no idea. I'm not to familiar with Amtrak operations. Interesting picture though. Are those two old Santa Fe 'Hi-Levels' flanking a single Superliner in that pic?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,993 Times in 974 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are those two old Santa Fe 'Hi-Levels' flanking a single Superliner in that pic?
    Yes Sir, they are.
    nScale.net: Elsewhere Yard
    nScale.net: AT&SF West Valley Division (abandoned)
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SteamPower4ever

Failure is always an option.
    - Adam Savage

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read the article AOL had and in the comments section, the usual idiots siding with the truck driver and spewing things like, "That was a short train. It should have been able to stop." "The driver (train) must not have been paying attention." No wonder this country is as screwed up as it is.

Doug
    Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
    www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doug Gosha For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Gosha View Post
    "That was a short train. It should have been able to stop."
    The media tends to portray grade crossing collisions as the train's fault, I wouldn't expect "social media" to be any different. Blame everyone but those responsible has become extremely common place, and like Forrest Gump, that's all I have to say about that.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Gosha View Post
    "That was a short train. It should have been able to stop." "The driver (train) must not have been paying attention."

Clearly some expert opinions there.

I'm surprised someone didn't say "The engineer in the train in the back should have started trying to drive the other direction when the train in the front wasn't slowing down for the truck!"

27. The Following User Says Thank You to drosera88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,034 Times in 3,726 Posts
    Mentioned
    288 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Ssssshhhhhh!
    Dont give the idiots any ideas…
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

Support the natural selection process, remove the warning labels....

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post: