Thread: My First Train set

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My First Train set

So, after a lot of deciding on where I was going to start my Journey I decided to go with this set. I was in two minds whether or not to go with a starter set to begin with but the guy at the train store suggested it was best to start with a set. I went with Fleischmann for a couple of reasons; The local store are a stockist and I can get a lot of support, and through my research I they seem like they make good stuff (but pricey). I also love their steam locos which is where I really want to focus.

https://www.fleischmann.de/en/produc.../products.html

FleischmannT.jpg

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Jerry Down Under For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,304 Times in 2,556 Posts
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That may well be a good place to start, @Jerry Down Under. That beginner z21 base unit can later be upgraded so that you can use a cell phone or tablet to run trains. I have the more advanced Z21 (note the upper case Z) and have been using it with cell phone and a variety of tablets for about 8 years and love its simplicity.

Ignore the white bar on the right. That is the result of my taking a screenshot on my phone.

You can see the Lok library on the bottom, from which I select a train. Speed is controlled by touching the graphic on the right. Functions on the left.

As I mentioned, once you have a more complex layout and more trains (trust me, you will), you can upgrade your z21 to operate by WiFi. A horizontal tablet will show two train controls at once.

Have fun!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,306 Times in 1,023 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This was my first train set, way back in 1970. It came with a Santa Fe E8 with those shoe pickups, a Therm Ice reefer, a Florida East Coast boxcar, a Burlington gondola, a ACF Center Flow car and a caboose. Dad and I added a bunch of other cars and got a 0-8-0 to haul freight and lighted streamliner passenger cars for the E8.

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Cowichan Bay, Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Down Under View Post
    So, after a lot of deciding on where I was going to start my Journey I decided to go with this set. I was in two minds whether or not to go with a starter set to begin with but the guy at the train store suggested it was best to start with a set. I went with Fleischmann for a couple of reasons; The local store are a stockist and I can get a lot of support, and through my research I they seem like they make good stuff (but pricey). I also love their steam locos which is where I really want to focus.
    I have DB rolling stock and engines, too. I really like my Fleischman locomotive, it's a DB218, diesel.

I love steam, too, and have two: an 0-6-0 Class 80 (Fleischman) and a BR24 2-6-0 (Minitrix). There are a number of steam engine aficionados on this forum. My experience is that your track work has to be very good to assure good operation from steam equipment, short wheelbase engines in particular.

Good luck, nice start.
    Monopoly & Octopus (modified & expanded) (starts on page 1, Post #29)
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthread.php?15459-Monopoly-and-Octopus-RR-Layout/

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stu For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,304 Times in 2,556 Posts
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    your track work has to be very good to assure good operation from steam equipment, short wheelbase engines in particular.
    This is good advice, though you probably will have very few problems using Fleischmann track. Just keep glue away from these turnouts. Not just the points and throwbar, but also away from the bottom of the turnout. They are very delicate, but good electrically.

Is this the Fleischmann Piccolo track with roadbed or the Fleischmann track without roadbed? And, generally speaking, where are you located?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,993 Times in 974 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Down Under View Post
    Good choice to start with. There's a lot of used Fleischmann on the German eBay site if you want to expand, but be careful with the older locomotives - with the four digit catalog numbers. They have three-pole motors and while they do work fine with a modern decoder, I've ended up replacing the motors in mine, because I could not tweak the decoder CVs to get as smooth operation as I wanted. But that's just me - I'm a bit fussy about that. In the end I could have bought a newer model for what I ended up spending. Duh!
    Fleischmann freight cars and passenger coaches are fine, even the old ones. The difference is mostly that the newer ones have short coupler mechanisms (KKK is the German abbreviation you'l see). Some really old passenger coaches may be too short to scale, and on some you can't change the coupler, so just doublecheck the offer before buying.

The German site www.spur-n-datenbank.de has a database of most European rolling stock, so if you see a model you like, you can check certain details about it there, not least the production year.

So as I said, good choice to start, have fun and let us know what you're up to
    nScale.net: Elsewhere Yard
    nScale.net: AT&SF West Valley Division (abandoned)
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SteamPower4ever

Failure is always an option.
    - Adam Savage

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SteamPower4ever For This Useful Post:

Cowichan Bay, Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gordon, Heiko and others have steered me to websites for information on various German locomotives and rolling stock.

Take a look in my build thread in my signature, I've captured them there.
    Monopoly & Octopus (modified & expanded) (starts on page 1, Post #29)
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthread.php?15459-Monopoly-and-Octopus-RR-Layout/

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    There are a number of steam engine aficionados on this forum. My experience is that your track work has to be very good to assure good operation from steam equipment, short wheelbase engines in particular.
    Thanks for the tip, I have been informed (warned) that steam locos can be tricky for starters, so I'd say to start with I'll add more of the same era as the starter set and then expand to steam.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by el Gato Gordo View Post
    This is good advice, though you probably will have very few problems using Fleischmann track. Just keep glue away from these turnouts. Not just the points and throwbar, but also away from the bottom of the turnout. They are very delicate, but good electrically.

Is this the Fleischmann Piccolo track with roadbed or the Fleischmann track without roadbed? And, generally speaking, where are you located?
    Sorry for taking so long to reply, it's the Picolo track with roadbed, I'm located in New South Wales, Australia, close to Canberra.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Down Under For This Useful Post:

Delray Beach, Florida, USA - Ex Busselton, Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,980 Times in 1,343 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn’t start with a “set”… it was a half dozen lengths of PECO flex track, a Santa Fe 0-4-0 switcher, and 3 pieces of rolling stock.
    A cobbled together transformer, rheostat, and a switch for control.
    It was months before I got 2 point to add some variety.
    Bryan
    “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bryan For This Useful Post: