Thread: New Member in Sacramento

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New Member in Sacramento

Hello all, I just discovered this forum while researching all things N scale. I'm retired in NorCal, I used to model in HO many, many years ago, and have finally decided to rejoin a hobby that I have thought about but haven't acted on. I'm planning to start small and my layout will be located in my garage, which is currently shared with my Miata race car. So I'm planning a slab door, 36x80, hinged to a side wall in the garage. That should give me many possibilities in N gauge. I'm also intrigued by the Kato Unitrack products. And I like the fact that Kato has even provided some track plans with actual parts lists. All else is yet to be determined. Hopefully this will be a project that will take me a while, if ever, to finish.

While on the subject of track layouts, does anyone have a suggestion or two of layout software that includes Unitrack N in its database? I would think that would be quite helpful, especially to a beginner. I'm sure I will have many more questions along the way, and hopefully I will soon be posting about positive progress as well.

Cheers,

Ron in Sacramento

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to freescopesdad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,774 Times in 1,601 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forum. There's lots of good input available here and a lot of track plans for a door layout. Have fun and we will provide what we can. If you are going with KATO track, it is easy to change the track plan as you run trains. Easy to change around and try different arrangements.
    Northern Pacific and Black Hills RR in N, of course!!
    Aian, CEO, COO, Engineer, Gopher and everything else!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,788 Times in 3,493 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome aboard , Anyrail has kato track in it's program https://www.anyrail.com/en
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks gentlemen for the kind welcome. I've ordered Unitrack from an online vendor and it should arrive mid next week. Also procured the slab door, lumber and assorted hardware, but the BIG chore was cleaning out a lot of stuff in my garage (just 1.5 cars wide) and rearranging as best as I can. The fun should begin this weekend.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,169 Times in 462 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scarm has been real good to me for track software. very easy to use. Help is just an email away too. responds quickly. im a kato fan . love how it just works.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Also in Sacramento

Ron,
    Welcome to the world of N Scale. I too just moved to Sacramento about 5 years ago next month. Spent 3 years in Arizona before moving here and before that 13 years in Portland, Oregon. Sadly, I have discovered that N Scale isnít really that active here in Sacramento like it is in the Portland and the PNW. However, that hasnít stop me with my dreams of building a N size layout for myself. I have been looking around and poking people here and there to see if I can get more interest and maybe a little help with my layout, but itís fallen mostly on deaf ears. There is a N Trak group with about 5-7 members, and I heard there is a N scale freeímo group. Also, Roseville Round house does have a N Scale layout but its mostly one guy calling the shots. But I have been told, if I build it, they will come. So, at this point, I have built the bench work of a double deck layout in a 20í x 40í garage and laid the entire upper deck of track. In the summer time I will start on the lower deck. Good luck with your layout. You have to start somewhere.
    To answer your question, with my layout I used Anyrail software. Its great software and I have turned a lot of my friends to it. However it maybe way more than you need.

Mr. Mike
    Big Sky Subdivision
    Mr. Mike
    Big Sky Subdivision

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 509 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome aboard.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mike View Post
    Ron,
    Welcome to the world of N Scale. I too just moved to Sacramento about 5 years ago next month... ...So, at this point, I have built the bench work of a double deck layout in a 20í x 40í garage and laid the entire upper deck of track. In the summer time I will start on the lower deck. Good luck with your layout. You have to start somewhere. To answer your question, with my layout I used Anyrail software. Its great software and I have turned a lot of my friends to it. However it maybe way more than you need.
    Mr. Mike
    Big Sky Subdivision
    Thanks for the encouragement Mike. If only I had a 20x40 garage, mine is more like 20x16. But I have expanded the layout to 4x8, it is the largest I can make it and still fold it up against a side wall without the table height being too low or the whole thing being too heavy. I just have to make a lot of the scenery permanent and find a way to keep the dust off of it between sessions. But Anyrail worked great and saved me from overbuying too much on the Unitrack. It is coming along, but my garage is detached and unheated (except with a portable propane heater) so the whole month of December was kind of a bust. But this week's weather has been very welcome.

Ron

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by freescopesdad View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement Mike. If only I had a 20x40 garage, mine is more like 20x16. But I have expanded the layout to 4x8, it is the largest I can make it and still fold it up against a side wall without the table height being too low or the whole thing being too heavy. I just have to make a lot of the scenery permanent and find a way to keep the dust off of it between sessions. But Anyrail worked great and saved me from overbuying too much on the Unitrack. It is coming along, but my garage is detached and unheated (except with a portable propane heater) so the whole month of December was kind of a bust. But this week's weather has been very welcome.

Ron
    Welcome to the site! Any pics or plans of your layout? I'd love to see what you have. I used to live in Lodi up until I moved to San Antonio TX back in 2014, and though I wasn't into modeling at that time, I do know that you have one really nice train store in Roseville, something that's hard to find out in south Texas.