Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,630 Times in 1,098 Posts
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default House paint for houses

Tired of the same old colors for the buildings on your layout? Try latex house paint! No, really!

We moved into a grand old 123 year old house about 6 months ago, and I needed to match some siding color to tidy up where I had installed a dog door for our pups. So I went to the local paint place with a chunk of siding and they matched the color exactly. I bought a quart, just in case I needed to touch up some areas in the future. Fast forward to yesterday, when I was trying to decide what color to paint a laser printed house that I had for the new section of the layout. I thought, 'why not try painting it with actual house paint'? And so I grabbed the quart of house paint and away I went. It turned out great!

Which made me think...you can buy those little sample jars of just about any color at the big box lumber places, they'll mix them up for you. Next time I want to paint a house, I'll just head to Menards and pick out a color. Or, maybe you are modeling a particular structure...if you're able to get a paint chip off of something, you can have that exact color mixed up!

Maybe this is known information, but using exterior latex house paint to paint models is new to me, so I thought I'd share it. Pics when the model is complete.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,080 Times in 3,210 Posts
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good idea! Did you thin the paint?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nope, didn't have to. I imagine if you sprayed it, you'd have to. I brushed. It's prototypical! LOL Hard to balance on that tiny ladder though.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,381 Times in 577 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another great source of inexpensive paints is the acrylic craft paints you can find at WalMart, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc.

A good variety of colors at a low price. Most of WalMart's "Apple Barrel" line can be purchased for less than a $1.00 for a 2 ounce bottle.

Most of my buildings built in the last 2-3 years have been painted with these paints.
    - Gary R.

President & CEO
    Pinnacle & Western Railroad

I don't always stop for trains, but when ... oh wait!, Yes I do.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gary Rowan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,688 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Rowan View Post
    Another great source of inexpensive paints is the acrylic craft paints you can find at WalMart, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc.

A good variety of colors at a low price. Most of WalMart's "Apple Barrel" line can be purchased for less than a $1.00 for a 2 ounce bottle.

Most of my buildings built in the last 2-3 years have been painted with these paints.
    Same here! I thin it with 70% isopropyl alcohol and airbrush for an even coat.

Also, if you plan to light your buildings, use a dark colored primer to eliminate light glow.

Metro Red Ln (Metro Red Line)
    Under the streets of Los Angeles

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroRedLn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a great idea, @P-LineSoo ! While craft paints are great (and believe me, when properly thinned they are fabulous when sprayed) I imagine house paint would be far superior to protecting against humidity changes... since that’s what it is designed for!

I never thought to use house paint on anything but scenery; thanks for being the pioneer!

Jim

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mostly finished.

green house.jpg

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mostly finished. The green is the house paint, Pittsburgh Ultra Exterior. Brick is cheap Walmart acrylic set. White is Testor's flat enamel. Roof is Testors flat gunmetal.

Model by Ebay seller hdcustomdesign. He has several great N scale models, I've now purchased 5 with more to come. Very reasonable.

green house.jpg
    Last edited by P-LineSoo; 2nd Dec 2021 at 10:12 AM.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This morning I painted another hdcustomdesign house with a sample jar of something called 'lime paint' that my wife bought. She's funny, she can't just go to a regular hardware or box store that sells paint, she has to order boutique paints off the internet. LOL Anyway, this was a neat color that is almost exactly 'reefer orange' that she wanted to paint the music room walls with but hasn't decided yet. So the sampler becomes...house paint! And, quite likely, reefer paint as well.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey @P-LineSoo - beautiful work! At risk of changing the subject, would you be so kind as to post some more photos of HDcustomDesign products? Perhaps a new thread? I’ve seen these on a sales website, and have been tempted to purchase; seeing how beautifully they can turn out increases my interest.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sure, look for it sometime later today (phone/camera is charging). I have 3 done right now, two ordered. You can't really go wrong, the price is super reasonable and there's very little assembly. The guy is super friendly and eager to accomodate. He's got a great eye for real, prototypical buildings. Some of his house designs come from actual Sears kits from the 1920's. The resin he uses takes paint wonderfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hey @P-LineSoo - beautiful work! At risk of changing the subject, would you be so kind as to post some more photos of HDcustomDesign products? Perhaps a new thread? I’ve seen these on a sales website, and have been tempted to purchase; seeing how beautifully they can turn out increases my interest.

Jim

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,776 Times in 885 Posts
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by P-LineSoo View Post
    He's got a great eye for real, prototypical buildings.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ucts&_osacat=0

Super nice designs and work. Really fair prices in my mind. I'm sure these are long prints on the printer to get the detail he gets out of a PLA printer. I'd be interested in the size of the bricks if you have a building with them (mic them maybe??).

With my printer this is about as small/fine as I can get bricks in N scale....

.... I think his are finer. I'm using the stock nozzle on the Ender 3 Pro and haven't experimented with a finer one as they sound like they can be more to deal with than what I want. I'll probably get a few of his buildings eventually myself. There is way more design time in doing these than I think a lot of people realize.

Sumner
    Modeling UP from late 40's to early 70's very loosely......

Under$8.00 Servo turnout Control --- 3D Printed Model RR Objects -- MyHome Page
    http://1fatgmc.com/RailRoad/RR%20Mai...ge%20Menu.html

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sumner For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, with his, by the time you get paint on them, they look great. Sumner, care to sell one of those restaurant buildings? I've been looking for an appropriate building to add "Alice's Restaurant" to my layout.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Here are two more of HDCustomDesigns buildings, both painted with house paint as a base color and detailed with either a cheap acrylics-in-a-tube set from Walmart or Testors enamel.

hotel.jpghouse2.jpg

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I was trying to figure out where I'd seen the color scheme of the above house before, while I was painting it. It just hit me... "A Christmas Story"....Ralphie's house.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,776 Times in 885 Posts
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by P-LineSoo View Post
    Sumner, care to sell one of those restaurant buildings?
    With my 'Hobby" Fusion 360 license I can't make things for sale and really don't want to get into that. The files are up on my thingiverse.com account here....

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4559864

... so no reason someone else here couldn't print the building and sell it to you . Might be time for you to look into a printer .

Sumner
    Modeling UP from late 40's to early 70's very loosely......

Under$8.00 Servo turnout Control --- 3D Printed Model RR Objects -- MyHome Page
    http://1fatgmc.com/RailRoad/RR%20Mai...ge%20Menu.html

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sumner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't wait to see the pictures! I honestly had no idea about the fact that this was possible. When I moved in, the house was in horrible condition. The paint's color was reddish-brown, very beautiful. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the color anywhere. The painters and decorators dublin advised me it would be better to paint the house white or something lighter. They say it improves mood. I regret I didn't know about matching paints earlier! It would be nice to have at least one room in that color!
    Last edited by hawkismoll; 23rd Dec 2021 at 05:03 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MetroRedLn View Post
    Same here! I thin it with 70% isopropyl alcohol and airbrush for an even coat.

Also, if you plan to light your buildings, use a dark colored primer to eliminate light glow.
    Actually it is better to paint the interior of the building with a silver colored paint. Silver tends to be thicker and blocks light better than black or other dark colors. Then you can second coat with black or other color if you wish.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to inkaneer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,052 Times in 4,913 Posts
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think you have discovered the paint that Bachmann used during the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Latex house paint is a lot thicker than hobby and artist grade paints. You may not notice a loss of detail on a simpler model but on something with a lot more fine detail, you will lose some. I have even noticed detail loss with cheaper spray cans.

When I started modeling the CSL/CTA, I took one of my modified Bachmann Brills to DesPlaines Hobby to show off and buy supplies. When the owner looked at the car he noticed all kinds of details and remarked on how much, l had added. I had to be honest and tell him all I did was to extend the vestibules and add more doors. All the details he saw was hidden under the old enamel Bachmann used. He never saw the details, despite selling the streetcars for years!

So while the paint might look good on a simple model, the larger pigments and syrupy latex should only go on the 1/1 scale ones. It is easy enough to match the colors with hobby paints.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post: