Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So frustrated: Can't get new Altas Master Line Gold GP40 to work

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default So frustrated: Can't get new Altas Master Line Gold GP40 to work

I do not know how any of you get trains to run on Digitrax systems, because their instructions and procedures are appalling!

I have a new Atlas GP40 DCC w/sound.

Put it on the track, default engine address of 03 worked.

To change the address, I followed the digitrax video that said click program > set it to "pd" > go to AD4 = ???? > put in 9308 (loco address) > enter + Y+

Not only did it not change the address not change, but now the locomotive doesn't move.

Apparently everyone else can figure this out except me, so there has to be a simple way to do this.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,121 Times in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have a Digitrax DCC system, and can't help with that part... but... I believe the loco decoder is set by default to not move until you've gone through the engine startup sequence. F8 if I remember right. You can disable that if you want. At least my Atlas GP39-2 was set up that way by default. Just guessing here, if that's not it hopefully someone with a Digitrax system can help.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,543 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Digitrax system do you have?

Metro Red Ln (Metro Red Line)
    Under the streets of Los Angeles

Thanks
    Thanked 4,870 Times in 752 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    there has to be a simple way to do this.
    Download JMRI (free) and use DecoderPro. Great, great tool for programming. You might need to add something to your system in order to use USB connection between a computer and and your Command Station if you don't have that capability now....

https://www.jmri.org/help/en/html/ha...et/DCS52.shtml

Love DecoderPro I bet you will be glad you made the effort to have it available,

Sumner
    Modeling UP from late 40's to early 70's very loosely......

Under$8.00 Servo turnout Control --- 3D Printed Model RR Objects -- MyHome Page
    http://1fatgmc.com/RailRoad/RR%20Mai...ge%20Menu.html

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OTFan View Post
    I don't have a Digitrax DCC system, and can't help with that part... but... I believe the loco decoder is set by default to not move until you've gone through the engine startup sequence. F8 if I remember right. You can disable that if you want. At least my Atlas GP39-2 was set up that way by default. Just guessing here, if that's not it hopefully someone with a Digitrax system can help.
    I think you are right. I did get it moving before touching any engine sounds, then it didnt work, then i was able to get it work with engine sounds, and then both, and then it really depends.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MetroRedLn View Post
    What Digitrax system do you have?
    DCS210 with DT500 controller.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sumner View Post
    Download JMRI (free) and use DecoderPro. Great, great tool for programming. You might need to add something to your system in order to use USB connection between a computer and and your Command Station if you don't have that capability now....

https://www.jmri.org/help/en/html/ha...et/DCS52.shtml

Love DecoderPro I bet you will be glad you made the effort to have it available,

Sumner
    I will definitely have to check this out. If I can do the programming through a laptop, I think I would like that.

- - - Updated - - -

I did get it working. I dont know what I did while playing in the Program settings. Now it responds to the engine address (9308).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SS454 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,543 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- - - Updated - - -

DCS210 with DT500 controller.

- - - Updated - - -

I will definitely have to check this out. If I can do the programming through a laptop, I think I would like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Get a Digitrax PR4 interface and LocoNet that to your DCS and connect it via USB to your computer so you can run JMRI. A laptop is perfect and it doesn't even need to be a powerful one with lots of processor speed or RAM. I have a dedicated JMRI computer connected to my Digitrax that's my dad's old AMD Athlon XP 1500+ PC (Running Windows XP) from 2003, and JMRI works like a breeze. If you want, you can also use your computer like a virtual control panel for turnout control.

Metro Red Ln (Metro Red Line)
    Under the streets of Los Angeles

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroRedLn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,123 Times in 3,545 Posts
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CV29 has to be configured for four-digit address.

Digital has a CV29 calculator on its site.
    Southern Railway Slate Fork Branch: https://realisticmodelrailroading.ne...-fork-branch-n

"The number of model railroads I have seen covered with the dust of apathy is directly related to the number of modelers who told me that they weren't interested in operation." -- Tony Koester

Rule #1: The worst excuse for ignorance and complacency.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to The Ol' Curmudgeon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,219 Times in 1,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The DCS is supposed to do the CV29 calculations and setting for you. That's why you select "Ad4".

I've read that those LokSound decoders do better with Direct programming rather than Paged - that would be "dir" instead of "pd", at least on the DCS51. Haven't experimented with it, though.

And I second the suggestion of JMRI if you want to use some of the bells and whistles of that loco. Together with a PR4 or a LocoBuffer-USB interface to loconet (PR4 can be used for stand alone programming, LocoBuffer-USB needs the DCS)

Just my 2 cents,
    Heiko

P.S: If there are any contact issues between the DCS and the decoder inside the loco, programming will be hit-and-miss and JMRI can't help you. I have an Atlas GP38-2 (old design, not the new Loksound-ready one) that I've had to give a good clean before it would even run, and on my first try programming attempt, I got only about half the values through to the decoder. Which made for a very interesting speed table

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

click program > set it to "pd" > go to AD4 = ???? > put in 9308 (loco address) > enterDo not do the plus Y, you were likely watching someone using an old command station.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RailRodder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RailRodder View Post
    click program > set it to "pd" > go to AD4 = ???? > put in 9308 (loco address) > enterDo not do the plus Y, you were likely watching someone using an old command station.
    Actually, it's the throttle that's different, not the command station, but true, with the DT500 you do no have the 'press "Y" step.' The DT402 and earlier throttles after programming a "4 digit" address would ask "Ad4on?" which you had to answer "Y" to to activate the "4 digit" address.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not know how any of you get trains to run on Digitrax systems, because their instructions and procedures are appalling!

I have a new Atlas GP40 DCC w/sound.

Put it on the track, default engine address of 03 worked.

To change the address, I followed the digitrax video that said click program > set it to "pd" > go to AD4 = ???? > put in 9308 (loco address) > enter + Y+

Not only did it not change the address not change, but now the locomotive doesn't move.

Apparently everyone else can figure this out except me, so there has to be a simple way to do this.
    Not sure what you did wrong the first time, but I don't find anything about their instructions and procedures are "appalling."

Thanks
    Thanked 10,123 Times in 3,545 Posts
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSXRobert View Post
    Not sure what you did wrong the first time, but I don't find anything about their instructions and procedures are "appalling."
    Can @SS454 simply express his opinion about Digitrax without all the pushback? There is nothing out of line with anyone calling Digitrax's instructions "appalling."

I personally think Digitrax needs a technical writer who knows how to make the complex simpler to understand. That's been Digitrax's Achilles heel from the get-go. While I do just fine understanding the technical, and am a Digitrax user, many people don't. And thus the myth that "DCC is hard" is perpetuated by Digitrax's seeming obstinance to adapt.
    Southern Railway Slate Fork Branch: https://realisticmodelrailroading.ne...-fork-branch-n

"The number of model railroads I have seen covered with the dust of apathy is directly related to the number of modelers who told me that they weren't interested in operation." -- Tony Koester

Rule #1: The worst excuse for ignorance and complacency.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Ol' Curmudgeon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSXRobert View Post
    I would love to know myself. Much could be because why would people brand new to model railroading know that the address is set default to 03? My first time testing was with a used engine, and I put in it's address of 5771 and it worked. I expected 9308 to work as well.

So into the instructions, and to me the wording is a little convoluted, but I see it says 03 is default.

Of course everyone will want to change the number to the loco's address. Simple wording like "changing locomotive address" would be nice in the instructions, but instead you need to know what a CV is. I wouldn't think you'd have to scroll through 3 pages of index to find "11.0 - Programming Configuration Variables" to learn how to change the address.

Then after all this CV nonsense, you need to change between a 2 digit address and a 4 digit address. A 2 digit range that goes all the way up to 128 or something mind you. I can't see any reason why any address between 0001 and 9999 isn't a 4 digit address.

If it goes well, the system automatically programs CV29. If not, well you need to know about CV29 in the first place.

Why the loco would move forward/backwards without sound on one minute, then needing sound on to move the next. I don't get that. The forward/back functions are connected to the engine sounds doesn't seem necessary to me, especially when the other sounds are independent.

To me and my simplistic brain, I can't see why all the locomotives don't come with their address preprogrammed. So that Joe Blo and his brand new setup and brand new loco can just plop the engine on the track, key in it's address and start having fun in less than 30 seconds.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to SS454 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Ol' Curmudgeon View Post
    Can @SS454 simply express his opinion about Digitrax without all the pushback? There is nothing out of line with anyone calling Digitrax's instructions "appalling."

I personally think Digitrax needs a technical writer who knows how to make the complex simpler to understand. That's been Digitrax's Achilles heel from the get-go. While I do just fine understanding the technical, and am a Digitrax user, many people don't. And thus the myth that "DCC is hard" is perpetuated by Digitrax's seeming obstinance to adapt.
    It's all good. People learn differently than others. Written instructions are not always the easiest for me to follow.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Ol' Curmudgeon View Post

Because a lot of the "Digitrax is hard" comments are still based on the early systems, where to save money (on what were quite expensive systems at the time) they tried to do everything with a dual 2 character display and a hand full of buttons. More modern Digitrax systems are quite comparable to other systems out there.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then after all this CV nonsense, you need to change between a 2 digit address and a 4 digit address. A 2 digit range that goes all the way up to 128 or something mind you. I can't see any reason why any address between 0001 and 9999 isn't a 4 digit address.
    I lot of the address confusion comes from manufacturers trying to simplify things and not using standard nomenclature, and this is true of all DCC manufacturers (and doesn't just apply to addressing). Decoders have two available addresses (three if you include the consist address, but will skip that for now),a primary address and an extended address. Nowhere in the NMRA Standards and recommended practices will you find "2-digit", "4-digit", "short" or "long" address. The primary address can be any number from 1 to 127, and the extended address can actually be any number from 0 to 10239, though most systems limit you to 9999 (yes, on some systems numbers less than 128 can be "4-digit" addresses). The extended address can go down to 0, but the primary cannot because the primary address 0 is the broadcast address. Systems may limit the range of each address and some limit them so there is no overlap. It may seem silly to have the two separate addresses since pretty much everything supports extended addressing now, but in the early days of DCC many decoders and systems did not support it and you had to pay extra for extended address support.

Why the loco would move forward/backwards without sound on one minute, then needing sound on to move the next. I don't get that. The forward/back functions are connected to the engine sounds doesn't seem necessary to me, especially when the other sounds are independent...
    I know with some locos if you shut the loco down, it will not move until you start it back up, so it may seem that it won't move without the sound, but if you mute it and stop it without shutting it down you can start it without sound, so maybe it was something similar to that.

To me and my simplistic brain, I can't see why all the locomotives don't come with their address preprogrammed. So that Joe Blo and his brand new setup and brand new loco can just plop the engine on the track, key in it's address and start having fun in less than 30 seconds.
    It would be an extra step for the manufacturer to have to program the decoders, and someone with a system that does not support extended addressing would have to re-program the decoder.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to CSXRobert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,219 Times in 1,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some manufacturers actually do that. Which brings them a ton of "if it doesn't move on address 03 when you get it from the factory, it's broken" comments. Check out the digitrax-users and jmri-users mailing lists at groups.io for a sample...

Heiko

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had Digitrax for several years and switched to CVP a few years ago. It's more universal and I like it better. Most of the people I know run Digitrax.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 507 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

make's me happy ive ditched all them systems and went with Arduino and JMRI yeppers .........never looked back

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Power down. Wait ten seconds and power back up and see if that fixes the problem.

Doug
    Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
    www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/