Thread: Barr Mills: Secklerís Cold Storage

Thanks
    Thanked 2,975 Times in 299 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Barr Mills: Secklerís Cold Storage

This is a newer Bar Mills kit that is unique as a background flat kit that has a lot of character: https://barmillsmodels.com/product/s...-storage-n-ho/

1. Here is what it looks like in the box

2. All the pieces laid out.

3. The kit is interesting as a taskboard front fits onto a MDF frame. Here you can see the frame built and spray painted a yellow-ish color.

4. Sponge painting on an ivory white.

5. After a light sponge of the white, now adding a white pan-pastel

6. The pan-pastels are now fully on and after a spray with dull coat to seal it on.

7. A third later of texture with a stippling of more thick white acrylic paint. Then I added the sign and sponged it with the ivory color to blend it in. This three step approach may be overkill but I think it gives a nice appearance that works well enough for n-scale.

Next onto the side structures of this build - later in the week or next week that is.
    Just another n-scaler.

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to schedule22 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,875 Times in 3,517 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The stucco and the sign look great.
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janbouli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice kit and looks great. I'm new-ish to the hobby and had never heard of Barr Mills. Cool to see such interesting kits from smaller producer. I think your painting recipe would work really great for concrete grain silos as well. I look forward to the next instalment.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ekiben For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

8. Built out the two side walls. I realize the bottom of each will need the stucco treatment so that will be an extra step to address later.

9. Without tape, I painted some boards with the goal of making them stand out. In later steps they will be dulled down.

10. Hunter Line sells a white stain. I tried it here and it was not what I expected. It was more soupy than their other stains
    and really did not do the job well. But it did get the wood to a more grey color. At this point I debated going to pan-pastels for step
    #11 and getting the white coloring I wanted. The beauty is its hard to mess up if you keep adding more layers!

11. I went with a heavy dry-brushing approach to add more white to the walls (instead of pan-pastels). With the goal of going for a more weathered look
    and as this is a background building, I decided it could work being a little darker. Later I may come back and add pan-pastels if necessary.

12. Here it is with the windows installed and the freight doors painted and fitted. The windows will need 'glass' first before these wooden structures are attached and then stucco for the lower walls. I need remember to do the top roof structure then too. After that lots of vents and loading docks and roofs.

Just another n-scaler.

8. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to schedule22 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

13. The kit comes with acetate for the windows but I prefer this as I can just apply to the back of the window and let dry. It goes on white as shown below, but over time becomes a clear window.

14. I dry-brushed on a metal color for the ducts. Next I applied a darker color at the seams with oils and used thinner to blend it in.

15. Test fitting the main ducts and two 'exhaust' pieces the kit comes with.

16. For the loading dock canopies, the kit comes with two pieces of wood. I wanted more texture so added some textured
    sheets from http://www.stoneycreekdesigns.com/roofing.html that work well with pan-pastels to color them.

17. For the dock itself, I added a stone foundation from RS Laser: https://www.rslaserkits.com/N-Scratch-Build_c_38.html

18. Now to add the stucco to lower parts of the building missing it so far, as well as build a little top structure. I followed the same three steps noted above and it worked well enough that I could not tell a difference in which build session the stucco was added. The kit comes with a water tower I also built up.

Some trim and roofing should just about do it in one more build session.
    Just another n-scaler.

10. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to schedule22 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

19. The trim going on. It is just the stained/painted wood that is dry brushed white.

20. The kit comes with stickers that can be spray painted and weathered to make a tar-paper like roof. I put the stickers on (with glue for extra help) and then trimmed to get the right final shape. The whiter part of the trim is where I filled in with plastic putty to avoid small but notable gaps. They will be painted and weathered below.

21. Almost done. This is using all the parts the kit comes with. But the HO kit has a nice fire escape so I ordered one and built it as
    a final step.

22. And done! These are Gold Metal Model fire escapes.

23. A parting view. Overall this is a wonderful kit. The instructions are amazing (and entertaining). I like the kit so much that I am thinking of how to add more to it so it becomes more than just a background kit.
    Just another n-scaler.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always enjoy your frequent structure build posts! I always learn at least a little from each one!

Thank you for sharing!!

Sincerely,
    Jim

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimbo For This Useful Post: