Thread: Weekend Update (17th Jun 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Weekend Update (17th Jun 2022)

Please update us on the progress you have made on your MRR projects this week (commencing: 17th Jun 2022).

This weekly thread is to post little snippets about your layout/project progress.
    This is not be a substitute for your layout build thread, but just a mini update on what you got done for the week.

You can link from your layout build thread to your posts in this thread as a part of a more extensive post there, or visa-versa (post to your build thread and link to that post when contributing to this thread.

Click on a post's #number (right-hand end of the post header) to get the URL to that particular post in your browsers address bar.
    Copy and paste this as needed.

So, fellow nSn'ers, what have you been up to this week?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,768 Times in 454 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far I have corrected the 20 turnouts on my modules, cleaned the track, fixed a couple gaps caused by heat, and ran some locos. Many of my turnouts were tight at the point and frog. I even had the guardrails to close to the stock rail in some. Good to go now.
    John

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jhn_plsn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,028 Times in 487 Posts
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Car projects!
    20220619_160156.jpg
    My friend Thom Placier models the early 80's B&O in Chillicothe and Oak Hill, Ohio in N-scale. In Oak Hill there was a company called Cedar Heights Clay that used the railroad shipping in both boxcars and covered hoppers. They actually had some of their own covered hoppers, of which, the old Deluxe Innovations 70-ton covered hoppers are a good match. He had some custom decals made and was kind enough to give me a couple. Having acquired a couple of the cars I stripped, repainted and added a gloss coat on one which is drying. The second I am trying to strip just the lettering using just Micro-Set and a pencil eraser. It got most of it but still some lettering left. It was lettered for Southern Pacific Red but data in black. I rinsed it off and am letting dry before I make a second attempt to get the rest. Here are photos of the prototype and Thom's model. Prototype photo credit D. Jones from E. Davis collection and model by Thom Placier, both photos courtesy of Thom. He does many YouTube videos on his beautiful N-scale layout, his great G-scale garden railroad and the prototype. His videos on the model railroads include both operating sessions and construction/modeling and progress reports. He does some amazing scratch-building of the actual structures in these towns. Check it out here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCts...i4W4A/featured
    IMG_3968.JPGIMG_0561.jpg
    The Penn Central Boxcar is also a work in progress. It will be a Conrail patch job inspired but not duplicating the picture below. It is from Chuck Zeiler, via RRPictureArchives.NET.
    CR166813-1983.jpg
    Cheers and stay safe all! Maurice
    Attempting to apply the K.I.S.S. principle to Model Railroading.

5. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Maurice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,774 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My club resides in the basement of a schoolhouse and last week I got a message that as the school is closing for the summer break, the club is borrowing the gym to set up modules for a week or two. Nothing out of the ordinary, just the old club modules, but a chance to run some trains and have a few laughs with friends. I'm bringing everything that hasn't been running on a layout before (on my watch anyway), so a few projects have been prioritized. One of them is installing LokPilot v5 decoders in the Rio Grande F3 consist that I bought from the estate of a club member that sadly passed away.

rgf3.jpg
    nScale.net: Elsewhere Yard
    nScale.net: AT&SF West Valley Division (abandoned)
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SteamPower4ever

Failure is always an option.
    - Adam Savage

7. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SteamPower4ever For This Useful Post: