Thread: New Atlas locos?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New Atlas locos?

I just got the Atlas catalog with new models........they are releasing a new(?) RS3 and RSD4/5, this time with a Gold series/DCC version. Atlas has never had a DCC friendly (or equipped) RS in those models, only in the RS2 that they got from Walthers/Lifelike.........so........Is this a remodel of the RS2 chassis to fit under the old shells, a complete new chassis/shell, or what? If the shells fit from the older models, I'd be really tempted to buy new models and swap the shells, since there isn't a decoder for the old RSs that doesn't require at least partial wiring, and that one is hard to find . Of course they aren't releasing a roadname I'm looking for, and who knows when (or even if) they'll get around to my railroad.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MRLdave For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,454 Times in 550 Posts
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would assume that it would be the same size frame as the older RS locomotives. Only difference would be the placement of the speaker in the fuel tank and the board should be sizable enough to fit in the older shells. It looks like the silver series is coming with an speaker also. Just will need the ESU sound decoder.
    Cheers!
    Clayton

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was wondering since the old RS's had the split light boards (i.e. no board across the middle) with one lightboard on each end of the frame. That was what made it such a pain to do DCC, you either had to totally hard wire a decoder (plus mill a spot in the frame) or use the one board that's availably from TCS (technically 2 that still plugged into either end) and run the wires back and forth between the boards and to the motor. The RS2 Atlas inherited from LL/Walthers uses the same drop in board as the Kato RS/RSC, so sure would be nice if Atlas went that way......actually don't know why they WOULDN'T go that way, but not sure if the shells are interchangable.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would think that if they used the Walthers/LL RS2 as a basis for the new sound capable RS3/RSD4/5 then the old shells would not be interchangeable. Possibly some rework internally might make them so but there is no way of knowing until they show up. Based on current deliveries I would not expect them for about 2 years.

If they re-worked the previous RS3/RSD4/5 mechanism then there is an outside chance the old shells would fit. But those chassis would require a goodly amount of re-design to fit the ESU decoder currently used which may make shell re-use unlikely.

The biggest issue could be the light pipes used (if any) since they would definitely be different because of the position on the ESU boards compared to the old two light board setup.
    John H. Reinhardt
    PRRT&HS #8909
    C&O HS #11530
    N-Trak #7566

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 706 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Does Atlas still publish print catalogs?

Southern Pacific | Santa Fe | SPSF | BNSF | Metrolink | CalTrain | Chicago Metra | TGV Lyria

railways by Kato Unitrack + Unitram | electric light-rail by Tomix | construction by Kato Diotown & Tomytec Co., Ltd. | vehicles by Busch GmbH & Co. KG
    ambient sound design by Fantasonics | DC-control by MRC
    digital command control by Dynamis Ultima | layout automation software by RailController

Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 428 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know from experience that the RSD 4/5 was one of the absolute lightweights I've ever seen Atlas do for tractive effort, so loosing any more frame for sound features will come at a cost in pulling power and consistent electrical pickup.

For the "new" GP40, they modified the motor frame bracket to hang the speaker in the fuel tank, and in the process lost a good deal of the cast frame. Shells were the same, essentially. There's been minor tweaks in details, but not dimensionally.

Remember in dies, it's more complicated to add stuff in than cut stuff out, so tooling cost is a big consideration here.
    Randgust N scale kits web page at www.randgust.com