Thread: Paragon 4 Decoder Issue

Thanks
    Thanked 2,706 Times in 353 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Paragon 4 Decoder Issue

I finally had time to test out the BLI F7 A/B units I received last week. After cleaning the programming track (it was apparently very dirty after over a year sitting unused), I was able to program both units. The B unit went very smoothly and works fantastic (on also cleaned track.) The A unit also works great but I have one oddity. While I was able to program it successfully. my NCE system will not read the long address on the programming track. I was still able to get it to accept the long address I wanted and it responds properly to that address on the main. But I cannot read it back on the programming track. Other CVs read back fine almost all the time now that the programming track has been thoroughly cleaned. But the long address is 100% consistent in not being able to be read back. I suppose it doesn't really matter since it accepted the address and responds to it. But it bugs mean that it consistently cannot read just the long address back.

I am curious if anyone else has hit something like this.

Thanks,

-Ed
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Northern New England Scenic Model Railroad - N Scale early fall in NH in the mid-1950s.
    https://nnescenicmodelrr.com/index.php

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,559 Times in 569 Posts
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Ed

I have a pair of the Paragon 4 SD40-2’s. Although I am running Digitrax, I haven’t come across this issue with my locomotives. I too have put them back onto the test track and all appears normal. I am just wondering if it could be your NCE system itself? Have you tried reaching out to BLI? Because the programming issue could be anything from the incompatibility(which I doubt) with the NCE or maybe the decoder itself? Have you tried doing a factory reset on the decoder?
    Cheers!
    Clayton

Thanks
    Thanked 2,706 Times in 353 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found some references online to the NCE program track sometimes having trouble reading back with certain sound decoders due to the power draw of those decoders. But as long as it has taken the values input I am fine. I am starting to use ops mode programming more anyway.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Northern New England Scenic Model Railroad - N Scale early fall in NH in the mid-1950s.
    https://nnescenicmodelrr.com/index.php

4. The Following User Says Thank You to edfhinton For This Useful Post: