Thread: Weekend Update (24th Jun 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Weekend Update (24th Jun 2022)

Please update us on the progress you have made on your MRR projects this week (commencing: 24th Jun 2022).

This weekly thread is to post little snippets about your layout/project progress.
    This is not be a substitute for your layout build thread, but just a mini update on what you got done for the week.

You can link from your layout build thread to your posts in this thread as a part of a more extensive post there, or visa-versa (post to your build thread and link to that post when contributing to this thread.

Click on a post's #number (right-hand end of the post header) to get the URL to that particular post in your browsers address bar.
    Copy and paste this as needed.

So, fellow nSn'ers, what have you been up to this week?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,793 Times in 284 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Testing some Rapido G20 tank cars after reading about them on this forum: https://youtu.be/hExyUhUtBlw
    Just another n-scaler.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to schedule22 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,876 Times in 1,081 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been hinting at a "skunk works" project a couple of times, and now it's progressed far enough that I want to show what's on the workbench:
    A couple of Little Joes, made from resin kits based on a Shapeways kit. I was lucky to be able to buy them from a friend of a friend.

Here's the bodies fresh out of the paint booth. They need a bit of touching up before I get to the decals. The chassis and truck frames are from Kato GG1s and while the frames needed some milling at the ends, the basic drive is unchanged. Also, because the GG1 body is much taller than the EF-4, there's not much room inside and I've had to mill out some ducts for the decoder wiring where some body crossbars rest on the frame. I've marked those spots with black on top of the frames on either side of the motor. The decoders are LokPilot micro v5.

The truck frames are painted and dry brushed with various layers of black, rust, dust and dirt as I didn't want them jet black like the top of the bodies. It's actually my first attempt at any type of weathering ...

I'm quite confident with how they'll end up looking once I'm done. The front and rear pilot trucks are from the kit, using the wheels from the GG1. I've made the hand rails myself using 0.3mm bronze wire and the plows are custom made from thin brass plate. The power truck drives are from the GG1, fitted with new outer frames from the kit. There's room for an extra "driving" axle and I have those in stock as Kato spares.

Now, you don't convert a 4664 to a 4884 without expecting some teething problems. One thing I did expect to cause trouble is the overhang of the longer truck frames with the porches on the ends. Much to my surprise, they'll pull a freight car through a Kato R3 curve without any issues. It doesn't even look totally ridiculous.

They are prone to derailing, however. Without the extra drivers they run fine (which you'd expect as that's basically the Kato drive), but with the extra "driving" axles, they do derail. Not all the time, but I need to figure out the mechanism causing it. Also, the pilot trucks derail a lot. I've sort of replicated the Kato suspension which seems to work, but I think I may have made them too simple, so I need to look into that too.

All in all I'm happy with the progress
    nScale.net: Elsewhere Yard
    nScale.net: AT&SF West Valley Division (abandoned)
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SteamPower4ever

Failure is always an option.
    - Adam Savage

5. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to SteamPower4ever For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 177 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not much in model railroading as of late. Around the house projects, lawn and garden work, and the pursuit of a new Indian Roadmaster have taken precedence.
    That being said, I purchased the radio antenna from Showcase and it is cool. However, I think there is a need for detailing, and it is a bit on the tall side. My intention was for it to be an emergency services antenna.
    I had one of the BLMA antennas but it got mangled when it fell on the floor, then got stepped on.
    Been fooling around with a new camera lens as well.
    Have a GREAT week!

IMG_2986 by snwbluebyyou, on Flickr

IMG_2987 by snwbluebyyou, on Flickr

IMG_2990 by snwbluebyyou, on Flickr

IMG_3010 by snwbluebyyou, on Flickr

My other hobby!

IMG_2992 by snwbluebyyou, on Flickr
    " You can do anything if you have enthusiasm. With it there is accomplishment, without it there are only alibis " - Henry Ford

7. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Power Stroke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,463 Times in 5,192 Posts
    Mentioned
    678 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Power Stroke

Nice! (Layout and Indian) :yess:
    = >

~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..." "Reading is for morons who can't understand pictures..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't got much done recently, but did get a roof on my water tower:

Curtis

Thanks
    Thanked 4,113 Times in 714 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Y'all,

I added some details to my Intermountain F7 set
    I think, I'm gonna add a bit of lite weathering.

Thanks,
    Wolf

12. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to SP-Wolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 177 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laid another turnout and a decent amount of ties:

780DF3AE-A57E-4BA7-9C38-4AD9202103EB.jpg

There are a couple of turnouts that need to be built to connect to the inner radius of ties I laid, that will probably be next, along with laying the rail on the ties in the photo. Not quite all the ties are laid, but one more evening should take care if it.

14. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Frank17913 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,571 Times in 198 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default N Scale Housatonic RR

I worked on the Neeltran location yesterday. I built in the craft foam paved area and weathered it, and then added some scenery back around the plant. I still need to weather and detail the building, but for now, I am focusing on general scenery. There are more photos in my layout planning thread. https://www.nscale.net/forums/showth...660#post625660

16. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to POMPERAUGRR For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know how much space you have available, but I took a trip to North Adams, MA a couple of years ago and shot a couple of OK photos of a bridge/canal/off-ramp area there. I wrote a blog entry about in December of 2020 entitled "Getaway in Mass With Railfanning" or something like that. Feel free to use or not use as you see fit.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Albey25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,876 Times in 1,081 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First tests indicate I've found and fixed the problem that caused derailment of the Little Joes. It was the pilot truck suspension that caused derailment of both the pilots and the main trucks. I've been running a prototype fix through my test track at full speed without any trouble. Yay!!
    nScale.net: Elsewhere Yard
    nScale.net: AT&SF West Valley Division (abandoned)
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SteamPower4ever

Failure is always an option.
    - Adam Savage

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SteamPower4ever For This Useful Post: