Thread: CC & WB without reporting marks?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,706 Times in 353 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default CC & WB without reporting marks?

Within the next couple months I will have all the track of the first level of my railroad completed and I want to start thinking about operations. Ideally I would plan to try to find some folks to start to operate in the coming winter. So now I am thinking about what system I want to use. That way I can spend a few months working out the trains, trying the jobs by myself, etc.

Clearly anything that requires reading the car numbers is out. I can't see the numbers well enough myself and my yard tracks are close enough that adjacent trains would block them anyway in some cases. I have been reading many of the threads here in the operations forum, but there is a lot to go through so I thought I would post my initial thoughts and get reactions.

As the post title indicates, I was wondering about using card cards and waybills but with no car numbers at all on them. The car cards would have a picture of a generic car of the same type and color. But I wouldn't ever worry about which one if multiple matched in a given pick up or drop off location. I know some use tab on car, but I prefer the appearance without the tabs. I also like the specificity of the action for CC & WB from operating a few years back on an HO scale layout that used them. Some of that is reduced with just having to match car type and color, but since most of my industries take a single car or perhaps two, it really should only make a difference in the yard, where the simplification probably will be a good thing.

What do folks think? Has anyone tried CC & WB without reporting marks? If so, what sort of pros and cons did you experience? How did operators like it? Are there modifications that necessitates that I might not be thinking of?

Thanks.

-Ed
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Northern New England Scenic Model Railroad - N Scale early fall in NH in the mid-1950s.
    https://nnescenicmodelrr.com/index.php

Thanks
    Thanked 2,007 Times in 593 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my personal opinion it might dumb down your operations too much as multiple industries may use the same type of car, a lot of the challenge of railroading isn't where the car goes but where THAT car goes. Now I'm not sure how technically inclined you are but if you are you could hook up an Arduino to a color sensor, place a colored tab(s) corresponding to a customer on the bottom of the car and tell the Arduino to book the train as it enters or leaves a yard. A scaled down version of cartrak if you will
    :gp38::chop::beam::box:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Intermodalman View Post
    In my personal opinion it might dumb down your operations too much as multiple industries may use the same type of car, a lot of the challenge of railroading isn't where the car goes but where THAT car goes.
    That is a good point. I need to think on it more. I don't think I want to go as high tech as the Arduino, but it is interesting. I will read up on cartrak to better understand the approach mentioned.
    Northern New England Scenic Model Railroad - N Scale early fall in NH in the mid-1950s.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am pondering ways to easily ensure the cards are kept in order matching the train. If I can come up with a simple way to do so, that would restore the issue of setting out the right car. I am pondering things like small carabiners or something similar that could be easy to handle and might have the side benefit of never dropping and scrambling a stack of cards.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given the low price, I might experiment with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Spring-Carabi...522170&sr=8-16

-Ed