Thread: Atlas: Middlesex Manufacturing Company

Thanks
    Thanked 2,974 Times in 299 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Atlas: Middlesex Manufacturing Company

In recent years this kit has been harder to find, but now it seems back on the market. It is notable for 1) the very honest packaging that shows the kit unpainted and 2) its versatile nature. Points to Atlas for showing the model without any paint on the marketing material, but it really does look pretty bad that way. Then again many companies use HO scale images of master built kits and market them to us in N so the other extreme is not ideal either.

There are many examples across the internet of people using this kit to create some amazing work. Oddly, it remains rather hard to find factory brick walls pre-cut with windows in N-scale. ITLA has an offering that is pricey and DPM does sell sections of walls. Walthers used to run a line. But here you get a lot of walls for a good price. Given how universal a brick factory is, why we don't have more textile mills and brick factories etc. is a mystery to me.

1. Here is what the kit comes with. So not as bad as the Atlas photo as the windows are green. The kit comes with too many windows.

2. I spray painted the parts with the bricks a mix of red and brown and the windows white. I had some issues with the white carrying over and speckling. But after the paint dried, I added in hand painted layers of red oxide (see left two) that did a nice job covering up the spray painting alone step (see right two).

3. I used the brick mortar and took stock of where I was at. No you are not seeing double. I had two kits. I did not paint them at the same time and the walls of the right section are different. I also noted I needed to take off more brick mortar from the left walls.

4. Try as I may, I could not unify the colors of all the walls. The lesson is to paint everything at the same time!

5. So I went back and just built up the first model as per the Atlas instructions.

6. I can add more details like vents and ducts etc, but overall I feel this kit did not come out as I hoped. It is hard to explain exactly why, but something feels missing.

7. I did the roof with dry brushed paper. Maybe if I remove the chimneys and go for better details it will improve. I also still have
    a second one to assemble!

Just another n-scaler.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,039 Times in 281 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for posting your work in progress. I would think that some better details on the roof would be a good place to start. Maybe adding some details to the sides as well: window bars on the first level and maybe a fire escape on the side. Also, I wouldn’t worry about differences in paint color as a company will often repaint one part of their complex before others. I have struggled with how to get good mortar in N scale bricks and have not found a great solution. Good luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to danb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think what makes this kit tricky is the plastic 'bricks' are very shallow so the brick mortar is harder to apply. I agree it will be interesting to detail and see if that will help.
    Just another n-scaler.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to schedule22 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,540 Times in 457 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's Jimmi Boyer's version of the same kit. As you can see, he managed to do the mortar on this kit.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/schuyl...n/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/schuyl...n/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/schuylkillvalleyrr/6638914163/in/dateposted/

Here's a link to another post on this topic where he tells his process.
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showth...d-mortar-lines
    Last edited by astrotrain64; 19th Jul 2022 at 07:47 PM. Reason: adding links and posts
    AT64

A man either lives life as it happens to him, meets it head-on, and licks it. Or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away. Dr. Phillip Boyce

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to astrotrain64 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,322 Times in 559 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schedule22 View Post
    3. I used the brick mortar and took stock of where I was at. No you are not seeing double. I had two kits. I did not paint them at the same time and the walls of the right section are different. I also noted I needed to take off more brick mortar from the left walls.
    You could always write it off by saying that one part of the building was built at a later date. Over time, even the same brick from the same supplier may differ in color due to minor differences in chemical composition. Similar to paint. The same color may be slightly different from batch to batch.

Nice work!
    - Gary R.

President & CEO
    Pinnacle & Western Railroad

I don't always stop for trains, but when ... oh wait!, Yes I do.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Rowan For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,054 Times in 771 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the brick looks okay. The windows don't feel finished though. Maybe another layer of drybrushing in the panes would do it.

And it needs a few pipes and air handlers clinging on like barnacles! Maybe some weeds on the base or a vine climbing up the side. And a ladder or fire escape.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ender For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for the suggestions. They are very helpful.

8. I added vents on the front facing wall and roof, as well as some extra roof details. I found the walls still too patchy so decided in the next step I would do some gay washes.

9. I think it looks better after the gray wash has made the walls a little more uniform, while still leaving some variation.

10. Here it is next to the second structure. The colors difference is apparent. They are the same building, but need to face opposite directions to line up given the tower.

11. I added my own freight doors to the lighter building. I am thinking of trying to darken it to match the left building. Or I may just leave them each be and not use them next to each other. I have more vents and all the roof work to do on the right building. If I could find a nice bridge to link the two, then they could perhaps work as a pair.
    Just another n-scaler.

13. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to schedule22 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks fantastic! The grey wash really helped to even out the colours and make it look aged. It'll be neat to see the finished product and placement.

I do agree with Gary Rowan above:

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Rowan View Post
    You could always write it off by saying that one part of the building was built at a later date

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Farva For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,102 Times in 2,963 Posts
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I, too, agree with @Farva and @Gary Rowan about the later build date. Not that it shouldn't be weathered, just not to the same extent or age.

I am wondering how you are going to treat the track to get it to the same quality of appearance as this building?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding details...

12. I had some Micron-Art water towers, and set to build one of them. I am not a fan of brass but gave it a shot.

13. Rail Scale Models makes some factory wall ducting. As you can see in the photo, their products are customizable. I just built it as I saw fit without any measurements. With paint you cannot tell what is the 3D-printed vs white plastistruct material.

14. The ducting and is applied - a showcase of all three products from Rail Scale Models. The bottom left of the ducting is
    from a different kit - Model Tech Studios. The Model Tech Studios ones are cheaper.

15. The roof with more ducts and the water tower. These are the Model Tech Studios ones.

16. I could not find the brick part for the top of the elevator, so added a freight door instead.

17. Added security bars at the bottom and some extra vents in the windows. These are Blair Line details. The gas meters and
    drainage pipes are from Rolly's Railroad Model from eBay.

18. Here are the two finished factories.

19. And a parting close up.

20. In summary, this is a nice kit that offers much flexibility. Now is a good time to pick one or two up as they are back on the market after being gone for years. You can find other examples of this kit all over this forum (see above comments) and https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthread.php?28739-A-factory-in-a-week-(thanks-Atlas! among others.
    Just another n-scaler.

19. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to schedule22 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,875 Times in 3,517 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks great with the details , and the deck looks awesome , thanks for sharing.
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Janbouli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,808 Times in 616 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks great!! Love the weathering and attention to detail that you have done.

If one has a 3D printer I have some....

... roof ducting also ( HERE ) also...

.... some skylights ( HERE ) that might work at times.

Seeing the water tower ....

.... I never thought about it but maybe also one of the two water towers I have ( HERE ) could also be used like what you did on top of a building.

Sumner
    Modeling UP from late 40's to early 70's very loosely......

Under$8.00 Servo turnout Control --- 3D Printed Model RR Objects -- MyHome Page
    http://1fatgmc.com/RailRoad/RR%20Mai...ge%20Menu.html

23. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sumner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Btw explanation of New York rooftop water towers
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a9y-Vv1E78

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Scotian_Huntress For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why always brick red?
    Attached Images Attached Images

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to w neal For This Useful Post: