Thread: What would be your top 3?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What would be your top 3?

Hi Everyone!

I have just begun my layout. I am shooting for a 40's era look and feel. I plan to run all DCC, so anything I have needs to have or be able to have DCC functionality. The only train I have is a Kato “Silver Streak Zephyr” and its 5 car consist. My layout is basically 12' by 4' and will have 4 industries serviced by rail. One industry is based at a marina, the other some sort of ore. the last two are yet to be determined.

If you were me, what would YOU buy? Give me your top 3 locomotives to go along with my luxury passenger liner. If you have rolling stock suggestions I would appreciate those as well. Road name doesn't matter, I can change those to suit my needs.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,768 Times in 1,174 Posts
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I'd get some NW2s: http://spookshow.net/loco/katonw2.html S-2s: http://spookshow.net/loco/atlass2.html or if all else fails VO-1000s: http://spookshow.net/loco/atlasvo1000.html for switching and a pair of FTs: http://spookshow.net/loco/imftab.html for manifest / through freights (I guess you have passenger traffic covered).

And then probably also some small steamers, most likely some USRA Pacifics or Mikados, many of which made it into the 1950s. I know Bachmann and BLI make or used to make quite a few different models, but have no idea as to which ones to pick.

Heiko

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,875 Times in 3,517 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with Heiko on the Kato NW2's , and would like to add an RS-2 also from Kato PnP
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Janbouli For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like them, but BLI seems to be a love 'em or hate 'em manufacturer........you mentioned DCC, but didn't mention sound........I have a pair of Kato NW2s and like them, but I also have a BLI one that has sound as well as a small keep alive, which helps with a small switcher like that. Atlas has an S2 switcher that also can have factory DCC and sound. For Road switchers the already mentioned Kato RS2/RSC2 are good and easy to convert to DCC however these would be later 1940s. Intermountain and Microtrains both have FTs.......I prefer the MT, mostly because they are much easier to convert to DCc, but Microtrains hasn't done a run of FTs for a while except for their own "specials". FTBs had to have an A unit to operate, so you'll always find FTs as AB sets. I have some Arnold SW1s that are great runners and supper easy to convert to DCC, but you'll have to find one on an auction site. For steam, you can get a number of different Bachmann (2-8-0, 4-8-2, 4-6-0, 2-8-4, 2-6-6-2) that are smaller in size and available with DCC. BLI has a 4-6-2, a 2-8-2, and are coming out with a 4-8-4.........I have the first 2 and they run very well, pull a lot of cars, and have sound, but again, a lot of people seem to have problems.

To answer your "top 3" question, I'd go for a BLI 2-8-2 (probably the most common steamer out there), an NW2 (either BLI or Kato, pick which one has your favorite RR), and a set of FTs (most common was an ABBA consist). If I could add a 4th, I'd get a DCC equipped (vs DCC ready) Bachmann 2-8-0.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MRLdave For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,875 Times in 3,517 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MRLdave View Post
    For Road switchers the already mentioned Kato RS2/RSC2 are good and easy to convert to DCC however these would be later 1940s
    RS-1 would have been better , but they are not easily DCC converted.
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Janbouli For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah.......I left out the RS1 for that reason. I have one I need to convert, and I keep putting it off because they are such a pain.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MRLdave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been very please with the 4-6-2 Pacific and 2-8-2 Mikado from BLI. Both pull 15-20 cars easily depending on the weight of each car. I evidently got a bad NW2 from BLI. It didn't run very smooth and had a loud grinding sound. I haven't tried any of the DCC equipped Bachmann steam locos yet but have been happy with their GP40 with Econami Sound.

I'm thinking of modeling the late 40's early 50's so am waiting for Atlas to release their DCC GP7 locomotives.
    Just an old gandy dancer.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Army-Gandydancer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,897 Times in 1,573 Posts
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For small steam on tight curves, Bachmann makes some good options as well. I have their 2-6-0 and 4-6-0 and am generally happy with both. Their 2-8-0 has a great reputation, but I've never had one and can't say from personal experience.

The thing I like least about the Bachmanns are the stock decoder. On every Bachmann that I've kept and really wanted to run, I've replaced the decoder eventually. I haven't tried the sound decoder in the latest run of 2-8-0s though, and it's supposed to be several steps above the stock B'mann decoders on the other two.

For diesels, some of it will depend on whether you want a switcher or something to pull a through freight. Several switchers were already mentioned above. "F series" locomotives would fit in the '40s - FTs from 1939 (I think, somebody correct me if that's wrong), F3s from 1945, and F7s from 1949. All have been made in model form. Also the ALCO FA 1 from 1946. Those dates may also vary by railroad. '40s is just a little too early for GP-7s.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to OTFan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 270 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To add few more to the list,
    EMD E6 built 1939 - 1942
    EMD E7 built 1945-1949
    Fairbanks-Moorse H15-44 built 1947-1954

Steam - everything up to and including the Berkshires