Thread: Altoona, PA N Scale Weekend

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Altoona, PA N Scale Weekend

The Altoona N scale weekend is back with a new venue. This year's event will be September 17-18, 2022 and will be held at the Blair County Convention Center. This is a relatively new facility. The event will be hosted by the Altoona Association of Model Railroaders in conjunction with Mike Phillips. This has always proved to be a fun event and the surrounding area abounds with railroad activity with Horseshoe Curve and the Railroaders' Museum among the attractions.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,540 Times in 457 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As it says in the yellow area above your post, this is the area for discussion of events posted in the calendar. Please be sure you add the event to the calendar before posting here.

This event is now added to the calendar. I included a link to the Altoona N Scale Weekend website. Looks like a fun time!
    AT64

A man either lives life as it happens to him, meets it head-on, and licks it. Or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away. Dr. Phillip Boyce

Thanks
    Thanked 3,065 Times in 493 Posts
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know if there are any clinics associated with this event?
    Attempting to apply the K.I.S.S. principle to Model Railroading.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,853 Times in 545 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generally it is vendors and layouts/displays. No clinics or presentations.

https://www.n-scaleweekend.com/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it is over. What a great event. Bought a ten pack of cars for less than what it will cost me to equip them with MT's. The layouts were fantastic. The venders had lots to sell. Prices were all over the spectrum. One vender had Peco C55 switches for $13.00. A fellow club member bought a BLI Pennsy PA/B engine set for $125.00. The A unit had DCC and sound while the B unit was a dummy. Still a very good deal. Nothing but accolades for the Altoona Area Model Railroad club who, in conjunction with Mike Phillips, the originator of the N Scale Weekend, hosted the event. Lots of 3D printed stuff but prices, for the most part, were beyond my budget. Next year the event will be the last weekend in September and the venue is already reserved.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,853 Times in 545 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they've found a great home for the foreseeable future. When the show was in Beford, it was cramped and the building had no AC. Moving to the Jaffe Shrine was better, but still not ideal. Having the event at the convention center is a huge win. Even with 120 tables, there was plenty of room to move around, more than enough room for the layouts, and with the hotel available right next door, no need to have to drive to the event. I picked up another locomotive I didn't need, custom painted for $100, and a few 3D print log trailers. Still searching for the elusive Atlas 17,600 corn syrup style cars lettered for Occidental Chemical (HOKX), but I'll find them eventually. A buddy closed out one of his utility coal trains, finally finding the last car he needed after searching for 9 years, so it was a good trip for him.