Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D Resin Printing

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 3D Resin Printing

As I am just starting my large layout, I have a TON of things to get scenery and building wise. I have a filament printer and it is great but NOT for that. It simply lacks the resolution required to make a really smooth surface. I have been toying with the idea of getting a Elegoo Saturn 2 8k printer. It is not cheap, but it is not that expensive either and would probably pay for itself as opposed to buying everything.

Do any of you use a resin 3d printer for model railroading? What are the pros and cons? I am concerned with the mess it makes. I would use low odor, water washable resins and this one has a vent in the back I could vent outside if need be. Or I could put it in the garage, but that is not climate controlled.

What about a separate washer is that required or just nice to have? There are many cheap UV enclosures for curing so that does not seem to be an issue...

Thoughts?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigfoot21075 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,962 Times in 764 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the Elegoo Mars printer and would recommend it to anyone as an affordable entry level machine.

Pros: the detail level that you can get is phenomenal, the size of prints you can make is perfect for N scale.
    Cons: stink, mess, post processing of the print (wash/cure/removing supports), works better in a climate controlled environment, size limitation for big prints (the Mars has a smaller print bed then most)

After two years of printing and using plastic tupperware containers as a wash station and a homemade cure chamber....... just buy the wash/cure station. I ended up getting the Elegoo Mercury wash/cure station and my only regret is not getting it sooner.

GET THE WASH AND CURE STATION.
    Bo D.
    B&O Keyridge Subdivision
    I'm not allowed to run the train, the whistle I can't blow. I'm not allowed to say how fast the Railroad Train can go.
    I'm not allowed to shoot off steam, nor even clang the bell. But let the damned Train jump the track, and see who catches hell!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RailKing50 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,283 Times in 508 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

filament print can produce a smooth surface you have to adjust stuff. ive printed many things with my ender 3 and smooth stuff. It does take longer to print but it can be done you just need to really fine tune it. now it can not get very fine details but you can get real good results , not as well as resin prints though. But close enough . ive too have been thinking about resin printer but i can not justify the cost for the little i need. If i was selling things then i could justify the cost......

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,988 Times in 762 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot21075 View Post
    I have a filament printer and it is great but NOT for that. It simply lacks the resolution required to make a really smooth surface.
    Which printer do you have?

As Sid mentioned work on the settings a little and you can print some nice N scale objects.

I've been happy with mine for most N scale projects.

I did buy a resin printer and hate to say it that was a year and a half ago and haven't used it yet . I'm sure I will eventually and will like it but I'll bet my filament printer is still my 'go to' printer. I've put it off for all the reasons RailKing mentioned. The filament printer sits right behind me in my little workstation attached to the main living room. No fumes, no cleanup mess so I end up using it. I also design a lot and I can instantly check out a design with it. I can get down to a scale 4 inch resolution with the filament printer in N scale and you can't really see much under that at normal viewing differences.

After a lot of reading I did also get the wash and cure station. Haven't used it but bet I'll love it when I do.

BTW I have lots of items one can print on my site ( HERE ) and on thingiverse.com ( HERE ) and lots of other peoples work there also. As you mentioned a printer can pay for itself real quick in the number of things you can print. Just the turnout switch machines I can print pays for mine and the rest is free (more or less).

Not trying to discourage you as you will probably find a lot of uses for a resin printer.

Sumner

P.S. I'm using a Creality Ender 3 Plus. Yours should be very similar. I use Cura and print with the 'Super Quality' setting on the 'Quality' menu. No other changes to the settings.
    Last edited by Sumner; 29th Sep 2022 at 04:49 PM.
    Modeling UP from late 40's to early 70's very loosely......

Under$8.00 Servo turnout Control --- 3D Printed Model RR Objects -- MyHome Page
    http://1fatgmc.com/RailRoad/RR%20Mai...ge%20Menu.html

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sumner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I currently have a reality CR10 Filament printer. I am looking at the Elegoo Saturn 2 for resin.

Seeing that turntable gives me hope. Maybe I need to work more on my settings.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bigfoot21075 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duplicate post....
    Last edited by bigfoot21075; 29th Sep 2022 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Photon mono 4K printer with associated wash and cure station. The wash and cure station really does help keep the mess down, but it still is messier than a filament printer. I have mine set up in a spare bathroom - the bathroom vent is nice, and the door keeps the cats out. Unfortunately, that means the printer comes down when we have overnight guests...

I'm still learning, but have been able to do some relatively detailed prints so far. Haven't really tried any rolling stock yet - probably this winter....

Curtis

13. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Pencil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sumner View Post
    I've been happy with mine for most N scale projects. I did buy a resin printer and hate to say it that was a year and a half ago and haven't used it yet . I'm sure I will eventually and will like it but I'll bet my filament printer is still my 'go to' printer. I've put it off for all the reasons RailKing mentioned. The filament printer sits right behind me in my little workstation attached to the main living room. No fumes, no cleanup mess so I end up using it. I also design a lot and I can instantly check out a design with it. I can get down to a scale 4 inch resolution with the filament printer in N scale and you can't really see much under that at normal viewing differences. After a lot of reading I did also get the wash and cure station. Haven't used it but bet I'll love it when I do. Sumner

P.S. I'm using a Creality Ender 3 Plus. Yours should be very similar. I use Cura and print with the 'Super Quality' setting on the 'Quality' menu. No other changes to the settings.
    Sumner, is this the printer you use? https://www.amazon.com/Official-Crea...f_=as_li_ss_tl? How easy would this printer be to introduce a pure novice into 3D printing for his/her railroad? How is the cost of consumables and other supplies? Are there really scads of print files available to someone like me who has zero programming experience? Thanks.

I have purchased many 3D printed parts (mostly buildings) on Etsy and have found the level of detail on those made with a filament printer has been better than the resin-printed product that I have seen. Maybe the resin printers require a higher skill level to achieve the exceptional results some have claimed. I really don't know, I'm just getting into this aspect of the hobby.
    Ron Petrich
    Sacramento, CA
    <a href=https://www.nscale.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22365&dateline=1664637886 target=_blank>https://www.nscale.net/forums/image....ine=1664637886</a>]

Thanks
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cost is not bad . with lots of tinkering you can get then to print real nice. you do need to work on getting them fine tuned. i printed a oil pumper n scale that works , very small gears ect but it is very nice. it takes time to calibrate them and very important once you set up for one brand of filament STAY with that brand ( VERY IMPORTANT ) not all filament is the same. i use hatch box its very consistent....
    ive got many lil things that printed very nice. but ive been tinkering with my print for a long time and have many custom made parts now. Im not done yet with it. Also you need to build your parts in waht ever program you use and double check there right. ive taken many peoples already made stl files and re worked them for what i wanted . some of those premade stl files are not good so you have to get them and then check them (i use tinker cad ) to make sure there right. ive had parts printed from some of those stl files that were not done right or the data base screwed them up not print good (ie holes or missing stuff, lines not connected ect )

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,988 Times in 762 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by freescopesdad View Post
    Sumner, is this the printer you use? https://www.amazon.com/Official-Crea...f_=as_li_ss_tl?
    Yes same printer.

.....How easy would this printer be to introduce a pure novice into 3D printing for his/her railroad?
    I'd recommend doing a couple thing either at setup or soon after.

At setup I'd do this...

and make sure you get the hang of leveling the bed...

... using the files here or others and do this anytime you see the print not starting right. Cura (use Cura as your slicer) will print a skirt around the object at the beginning of the print and you can see how it is printing (skirt is default option).

......... How is the cost of consumables and other supplies?
    Like Sid I'm a big believer in HatchBox also and get the gray ( HERE ). I use a gray primer so if I don't do a good job with it I don't have to worry about the filament showing through. One of those spools will print a lot of items.

Other than that I keep some Bowden tube on hand ( the tube the filament goes through). Over time the tube will clog where the hot end is. I think that each time the filament cools back down there some is deposited on the inside of the tube. Once you have done it a few times you can clear the clog in 5 minutes or so But you will cut a little off the tube making it shorter and eventually you need to put a new longer tube on the printer. Look on YouTube or ask when it happens. I do it a little different than what I've seen and it goes faster than what I've seen. This is the only type of maintenance I've had to do.

Not too long ago I did an upgrade using a Copperhead heat break and using it and upping the hotend temp to 220 has so far stopped any clogs. I would wait and not think about installing one though until you start getting clogs. You won't get them for a while and I've printed for a couple years without the Copperhead. I just mentioned it as a possible future upgrade.

I might at least get the parts, they are cheap, and soon do the upgrade ( HERE ). It is easy and inexpensive.

NOTE: Don't think you have to do the upgrades or others to get the hang of printing. I did dozens of really nice prints with the bone stock Ender before making a couple mods. If you like doing mods you will find tons of them out there but you don't have to for fine prints. Get the bed level, get good filament, use Cura and change the print quality if you are doing fine small projects and enjoy prints.

........... Are there really scads of print files available to someone like me who has zero programming experience? Thanks.
    Yes, Yes, Yes. I have over a 100 items up and there are probably thousands more. I'm on thingiverse.com ( HERE ) and once on you can do searches and there are a number of other similar sites.

Get the printer and expect a little learning curve but it won't be much. Tons of help here and other places, just ask, and lots of YouTube videos with the Ender. I like the guy in the ones above but there are a lot more if you need them. Just remember they are there but a lot of them make mods and so forth that you don't need to do to get great prints.

Sumner
    Modeling UP from late 40's to early 70's very loosely......

Under$8.00 Servo turnout Control --- 3D Printed Model RR Objects -- MyHome Page
    http://1fatgmc.com/RailRoad/RR%20Mai...ge%20Menu.html

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sumner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for me the best mod was a new silent board and also the fang . I really love the fang but i modded mine a bit so to cool the heat sink much better.
    after you burn a few rolls through it ya might have to change the tip . i use #4 but have used a #2 for real fine stuff , but most all my prints are #4 .
    most important is make sure you get the bed level with the print head and i use hair spray for sticky on a glass plate. oh ya get a glass plate make that the first mod.....i think all the enders com with a silent board these days (i dont know this for sure )
    you can print more than just RR stuff too. ive made handles , hinges, locking devices for cabinets, tons of stuff around the house and now im printing stuff to sell in some small shops around here (thats paid for a couple spools of filament )you will be surprised at how little filament you need...
    Attached Images Attached Images

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to you both for the info. Still mulling but getting closer to a decision. Maybe when the cooler weather hits out here and IF it rains, this will be nice to get started with...
    Ron
    Ron Petrich
    Sacramento, CA
    <a href=https://www.nscale.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22365&dateline=1664637886 target=_blank>https://www.nscale.net/forums/image....ine=1664637886</a>]

22. The Following User Says Thank You to freescopesdad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,706 Times in 964 Posts
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
    I have a Photon mono 4K printer with associated wash and cure station.
    I have this setup as well… I actually just started using it two days ago after buying it when they were on sale at easter time.

I never bought a filament printer, so there has been a bit of a learning curve.

I do know if I were buying one now, i would get the version that has the pump for the resin. It just seems like less of a hassle.

Also, the wash and cure station is setup so you can wash items while attached to the build plate… i have already found i need a second build plate to make the most efficient use of the combined printer wash station ( so i can start a new build right after starting a wash cycle… then give the build plate time to dry…. )

Paul
    For decoder installation and JMRI services, please visit http://www.bentraildigital.com
    For n-scale intermodal information, please visit http://nscaleintermodal.com

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pbender For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,908 Times in 964 Posts
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luke Towan has a 3d resin printer that works for him:
    https://www.youtube.com/c/LukeTowan

Thanks
    Thanked 3,706 Times in 867 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since I first saw a FDM printer in about 2005, I knew I had to have one. So after some intense internet searching, I started building FDM printers from scratch around 2007. When Formlab started their campaign on Kickstarter for their resin printer around 2012, (price was out of my reach though) I knew I wanted to get into resin printing because the resolution was sooooo much better over the FDM printers. Fast forward to October 2018, found a site that had the Anycubic Photon on sale for just over $400 shipped. I now have 3 Photons and earlier this year, I bought a Anycubic Mono X 8K for around $500 on Amazon. I've decommissioned 2 of the photons and 4 of the 5 FDM printers.

I have a very large layout and I use the resin printers for all kind of things to use on the layout. Over the last 2 years, I've probably printed over 1000 windows for my laser cut structures. Printed lots of truck and cars. Working on drawing up some flat car loads now, You won't regret getting a resin printer.

As @Summer said, there is lots of files on the net to print from, but you'll need to learn to use some CAD program to make your printer more useful. I started with Sketchup about 2007. Now use Sketchup 2019 Pro. I have 2018 Solidworks (student) and full blown 2010 AutoCad. After using Sketchup for so long, it's very hard for me to learn to use either one of them. Tried Fusion 360 and, again, it's too hard to learn.
    Rodney

Here is my build of my n-scale railroad
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...-50-8-quot-%29

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rodsup9000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THANKS!! I am going to get one, I want to print cars, trucks, people custom buildings, locomotive bodies and so on. The Elegoo Saturn 2 does not have a huge foot print, I can set it on my modeling bench, it is 4x3 so there is plenty of room. I plan to only print water washable resin so I don't have to deal with all the alcohol, I guess I will buy a dedicated washer as well to keep the mess down. I can even vent the printer to a window if I need to.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bigfoot21075 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Monoprice Mini V2 and an Ender5 FDM printers. Good for larger type models. I have access to a MARS3 resin printer and wash/cure station. Resin is super detail, also time taken is same on a small, large or multi models. FDM very slow. This is one of my models on "thingiverse" created in Tinkercad. Free and easiest to use, but limited.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5378668

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to syncman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THAT is a GREAT Filling Station!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 199 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot21075 View Post
    THAT is a GREAT Filling Station!!!
    Did you get a printer yet?!

My Layout Thread

Support This Site!

"Can't take it with ya!"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not yet, still doing research, and now my windows computer is dying so that may come first...
    Ron Petrich
    Sacramento, CA