Thread: Weekend Update (7th Oct 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Weekend Update (7th Oct 2022)

Please update us on the progress you have made on your MRR projects this week (commencing: 7th Oct 2022).

This weekly thread is to post little snippets about your layout/project progress.
    This is not be a substitute for your layout build thread, but just a mini update on what you got done for the week.

You can link from your layout build thread to your posts in this thread as a part of a more extensive post there, or visa-versa (post to your build thread and link to that post when contributing to this thread.

Click on a post's #number (right-hand end of the post header) to get the URL to that particular post in your browsers address bar.
    Copy and paste this as needed.

So, fellow nSn'ers, what have you been up to this week?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 216 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did some work to start on the marina, located at the Bleachery. This marina is located right next to the Housatonic RR's 3-bridge span over its namesake Housatonic River, in New Milford, CT.

Here are some before, and after shots of the initial progress. There are more progress photos and information in my layout thread: https://www.nscale.net/forums/showth...748#post627748

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That lake looks frozen!

My Layout Thread

Support This Site!

"Can't take it with ya!"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rhikdavis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,341 Times in 330 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a trip to Chicago now. I can see why so many of you base model railroads off it. The "L" would make for exciting urban modeling.

Having seen so many Kato ads for this train, it was nice to actually see it in person.

I appreciate you can have an engineers view given the way they do push-pull

Then I got an email tonight that tempted me with the only n-scale Chicago "L"... ITLA models is having a 10% off sale. I have some of their kits to still build do probably should not order more: https://us9.campaign-archive.com/?u=...&id=d504697fbe
    Just another n-scaler.

6. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to schedule22 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,530 Times in 1,708 Posts
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Innstalling some more switch control SPDT switches. With wood bases now, instead of the plastic. I like the wood a lot better!

PIC_0067.jpg

And the trains waiting for the work to be done,
    PIC_0068.jpg
    Northern Pacific and Black Hills RR in N, of course!!
    Aian, CEO, COO, Engineer, Gopher and everything else!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,924 Times in 1,205 Posts
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This last week was mostly weathering - beside those covered hoppers I've shown here: https://www.nscale.net/forums/showth...weathered-cars I've also had a caboose and two pairs of 1950s LPG tank cars in my hands:

The caboose also shows traces of too much dullcoat (particularly on the cupola), but not as bad as those covered hoppers. And since it's old, it's not too bad that it's a bit faded, I keep telling myself.

Heiko

9. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,885 Times in 180 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple of things going on. I finally found a double crossover other than Kato's for my layout. The things you find when you're NOT looking. Old Con-Cor Shinohara track, seller had 2, I bought them both, but this is the one I will concentrate on this winter.

IMG_3650 by snwbluebyyou, on Flickr

IMG_3651 by snwbluebyyou, on Flickr

IMG_3653 by snwbluebyyou, on Flickr

The Kato just was never practical because I would have had to add adapters on each end, and it simply would have been too long. So cool!

Next is a BLMA cell tower. For some reason they're showing up on Ebay, cheap money so what the hey. Fairly easy build, I could use an upgrade to my Opti-visor but I got it done. Not sure about paint so it's in the raw for now.

IMG_3644 by snwbluebyyou, on Flickr

IMG_3647 by snwbluebyyou, on Flickr

IMG_3657 by snwbluebyyou, on Flickr

Have an AWESOME week!
    " You can do anything if you have enthusiasm. With it there is accomplishment, without it there are only alibis " - Henry Ford

11. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Power Stroke For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,073 Times in 4,164 Posts
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lakota West Train Show

This was the weekend for the big NMRA Div.7 Train Show, where we take over a local high school with displays and vendors throughout. Last year the show was held, but it was somewhat lightly attended as folks were still getting back to normal from the pandemic. This year felt more normal, though there were still fewer vendors than I remember from 2019 and before. My club, Tristate N-Trak, was there anchoring the far end of the main hall, and here are a few photos of our modules - mostly close-ups of the unique character we've all been investing into our modules.

TSNT8400.jpg

I will start off with my own module, because hey, I'm the one telling the story, right? The F-16 is there to honor my dad, who flew them as an instructor while in the Air Force; it bears a red and black tail with "WP" markings though, to fit into my own fictional world.

TSNT8401.jpg

My module represents Boyce Junction, where the WP&P meets the N&W Shenandoah Division, and following their merger the primary traffic flow has caused there to be a new pair of interchange tracks and a new diamond, bypassing the older crossing. The old set-out tracks are now getting used for M-O-W storage, or at least they were for this show.

TSNT8398.jpg

Next up we have Don's downtown scene, which fits within a 2'x2' area that straddles above his 6' long module. The buildings are mostly based on Cincinnati's skyline, and a tram makes a figure-eight loop through the streets. It takes forever to set up, though, because all the buildings and light poles are separate and plugged into their locations.

TSNT8399.jpg

One of Don's downtown blocks features this pit where a skyscraper foundation is under construction. You can't see them because of the tram in this shot, but there is a long line of workers heading to the donut shack - that might be why it is taking so long to finish construction!

TSNT8403.jpg

Bob has our newest module, which has track laid but no real scenery aside from a few buildings. He is aiming at quality construction, though, and I think it shows! He got the backdrop sky printed from a photo he took and edited.

TSNT8404.jpg
    TSNT8405.jpg
    TSNT8407.jpg

An assortment of other module shots. I didn't take an exhaustive catalog of every module, this is just a sampling of the vignettes to be found.

TSNT8409.jpg

And to close, a shot of "the Bobs" (one inside the layout on the left, and one running a train on the right) in the vicinity of my module. I love watching sleek passenger trains flow through the curves on my module.
    If you're curious, I did spend some money - about $150 actually - despite having nothing in mind that I really needed to buy.

Hello. My name is Michael, and I am an ALCo - haul - ic.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ordered my track from the awesome folks at Fifer Hobby. His prices are very good, but I was still a little shocked by the total for Kato Unitrack. I went ahead with it anyway, this is just going to be an expensive month. Today is Prime day and the Elegoo Saturn 2 Resin Printer is $90.00 off so that is on its way as well. I also sent an order to Sceniking for 30' of N Sale background (have not heard back from him yet). He had the best prices by far for a photo realistic back ground. I am installing it first before the tables are built. I will just cover it with crab paper so I don't get stuff on it from the build. I wanted to get the boards on the wall for the background, but the back was in no shape for that this weekend. Maybe in the next week or two.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bigfoot21075 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot21075 View Post
    I ordered my track from the awesome folks at Fifer Hobby. His prices are very good, but I was still a little shocked by the total for Kato Unitrack. I went ahead with it anyway, this is just going to be an expensive month. Today is Prime day and the Elegoo Saturn 2 Resin Printer is $90.00 off so that is on its way as well. I also sent an order to Sceniking for 30' of N Sale background (have not heard back from him yet). He had the best prices by far for a photo realistic back ground. I am installing it first before the tables are built. I will just cover it with crab paper so I don't get stuff on it from the build. I wanted to get the boards on the wall for the background, but the back was in no shape for that this weekend. Maybe in the next week or two.
    Did you get the $500 or the $400 model..I"m in the market for one as well and I couldn't see a difference other than the price....Go for broke!!!

My Layout Thread

Support This Site!

"Can't take it with ya!"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 216 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rhikdavis View Post
    That lake looks frozen!
    Thankfully that is just a base coat of paint. I'll airbrush the final colors and then add the tinted 2 part resin for the water, after I build the docks and boat slips.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to POMPERAUGRR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got the Saturn 2 the other is the Saturn 8k it supposedly has a different interface panel and a different software pack with it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It is $509.00 for today.

But honestly I think the resolution is the same so not sure how much it matters