Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which ESU LokSound decoder fits into the Atlas SD60?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,816 Times in 1,166 Posts
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice clean build....mine need to look more like that .

Quote Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
    Small keep alives - this loco got the left one in the picture, I believe:
    How much capacitance are you running in those keep-alives? Also are you running any kind of protection circuit like the circuit that Iowa Scaled Engineering has ( HERE ). I've built two using their circuitry but haven't installed them in anything yet.

Sumner
    Modeling UP from late 40's to early 70's very loosely......

Under$8.00 Servo turnout Control --- 3D Printed Model RR Objects -- MyHome Page
    http://1fatgmc.com/RailRoad/RR%20Mai...ge%20Menu.html

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sumner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,736 Times in 1,365 Posts
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sumner View Post
    Nice clean build....mine need to look more like that .
    I stopped taking pictures when it got messy Was on a module meeting deadline that got canceled due to too many participants catching Covid (yes, in November 2023) so I rushed it a bit. For more typical and more completely photographed / documented decoder installs of mine see https://www.nscale.net/forums/showth...-in-Kato-C30-7 and https://www.nscale.net/forums/showth...n-Atlas-8-40BW - this one was not that much different, just a different decoder...

Quote Originally Posted by Sumner View Post
    How much capacitance are you running in those keep-alives? Also are you running any kind of protection circuit like the circuit that Iowa Scaled Engineering has ( HERE ). I've built two using their circuitry but haven't installed them in anything yet.
    That's 6x22F in the picture, and I've gone up to 8x22F in other locos. No, I don't add any protection circuit to those - they are 25V caps, so I don't need the Z1 overvoltage protection in the Iowa Scaled Engineering diagram and the total capacity is still fairly small, so I'm skipping the R1/D1. My brand-new (built today) DCC-EX command station does warn about inrush current up to 2A, but that should still be OK for those few milliseconds. And I do need to disconnect (de-solder) the caps to do firmware / sound project loading on a LokProgrammer - CV reading and writing works fine though.

Heiko

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,816 Times in 1,166 Posts
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I do need to disconnect (de-solder) the caps to do firmware / sound project loading on a LokProgrammer - CV reading and writing works fine though.
    Thanks that is good to know. I've been reading about no problems with not disconnecting a smaller keep-alive reading and writing CV's but didn't know there would still be a problem with firmware and writing a sound project. I'll now be aware of that.

I went with the lower voltage caps and more so decided to add the protection circuit. I made room in an E9 for them but haven't put them in yet. The sound file is loaded and the engine runs but I think after your tip I need to make sure I can disconnect them easily if needed, thanks.

My brand-new (built today) DCC-EX command station
    Congrats...be interested in how you like it....love mine (well actually have a couple).

Sumner
    Modeling UP from late 40's to early 70's very loosely......

Under$8.00 Servo turnout Control --- 3D Printed Model RR Objects -- MyHome Page
    http://1fatgmc.com/RailRoad/RR%20Mai...ge%20Menu.html

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sumner For This Useful Post: