Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are you buying this month (December 2023)?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 429 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What are you buying this month (December 2023)?

Went to the last train show for me this year. Next one I will Attend will be Deland (near Orlando) in Jan.

Atlas Boxes, Bachmann Tanker, MP Trolleys, Shinohara Cross Over and Insulators from Train Show.
    Micro-Trains FT TDOC from eBay.
    MT Micro-Mouse holiday car from MBK.
    Atlas Seaboard GP30 from Texnrails.
    I got started picking up the Telegraph Insulators about 10yrs ago.
    The two I got today make 6 for my collection now. All are different and have unique different colored glass.
    Seem to be few and far at shows so if I see one I don't have, I'll buy it.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to donzi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got an email that I won an auction on eBay, but didn't recall bidding on anything. Turned out my throwaway bid won a lot of 7 Kato Business Cars and Baggage cars. After tax and shipping ~$25 per car. The "Beech Grove" even though it's not prototypically correct goes for $100 by itself so I'll take it as a win! I already have a "Beech Grove," but Sightseer Lounge cars, Hi-level lounge cars and business/observation cars for the right price are hard for me to pass up! Willing to sell/trade most of them if anyone is looking.
    :P42171L::SUP2T::SUP2C::SUP2L:

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Blade3562 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 530 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've avoided buying any of the WS prebuilt buildings..........I enjoy building the kits, but I've been searching for a suitable building for a town hall and I finally gave up and bought one of the WS municipal buildings.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just received a new Atlas Dash8-40B in SP. Now to install ESU LokSound...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GGNInNScale For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,400 Times in 3,644 Posts
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GGNInNScale View Post
    Just received a new Atlas Dash8-40B in SP. Now to install ESU LokSound...
    Just a caution, there have been a rising number of complaints on other forums with ESU decoders failing, both motor drive and sound. MRH magazine has contacted ESU asking for information as to what could be the issue. No response yet.
    "The number of model railroads I have seen covered with the dust of apathy is directly related to the number of modelers who told me that they weren't interested in operation." -- Tony Koester

Realistic model railroad operations do not involve switching puzzles!

NSMR #1975, RMR #4

9. The Following User Says Thank You to The Ol' Curmudgeon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,384 Times in 1,693 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again to the Black Friday deals thread, I was able to pick up some sale items from ModelTrainStuff.

IMG_6031.jpg Added to a factory weathered accumulation, some Artitec vehicles, WS substations and Walthers shopping center.

The Atitec models always surprise me how small and detailed they really are:
    IMG_6033.jpg

I have wanted the WS substation for awhile but was unwilling to pay the full retail price. These were 25% off regular price.
    IMG_6034.jpg
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler - Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life - Web-Folio
    Blog: American Revolutionary War Diorama:https://www.nscale.net/forums/entry....onment-Diorama
    The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. ó Thomas Jefferson

11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would really like to buy a Rapido N-scale turbo locomotive! I learned the hard way not to run a train for an entire layout tour of 12 hours. I overheated my loco and melted a plastic gear. Fortunately, it is not my sound loco. Rapido does not have/can't get the part. I'm hoping that someone else has a similar problem and is willing to sell me their working half of the train or just the loco. Doesn't matter which railroad as I have the shell. I can't afford to spend more than I would pay for a standard DCC loco and passenger cars. Know anyone who might be able to help? If I'm really stuck, i will have the make the dead loco into a dummy (last resort). If you would like to see the loco running on the ill-fated day see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snf3LkVj_zQ and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIjDCRSSpA0 There are some other equally nifty n-scale railroads in these videos, as well as a few inevitable HO layouts.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,145 Times in 3,601 Posts
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't it possible to print the part you need?
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,775 Times in 1,178 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynda View Post
    Know anyone who might be able to help?
    Have you tried asking NorthWest Short Line ?
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SteamPower4ever

Failure is always an option.
    - Adam Savage

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep. I just received a 58741 decoder for a Kato diesel. It was pre-programmed at the shop where I bought it. Slipped it into place (did not add the LEDs or the speaker at this point). Put it on the LokProgrammer and it said No GO. Did the usual continuity checks, checked the LokProgrammer (it was fine). So, a return to ESU Pennsylvania... Sad.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to GGNInNScale For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,400 Times in 3,644 Posts
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GGNInNScale View Post
    Yep. I just received a 58741 decoder for a Kato diesel. It was pre-programmed at the shop where I bought it. Slipped it into place (did not add the LEDs or the speaker at this point). Put it on the LokProgrammer and it said No GO. Did the usual continuity checks, checked the LokProgrammer (it was fine). So, a return to ESU Pennsylvania... Sad.
    Similar things are happening with other people too. I very recently bought a new Atlas Gold loco (ESU sound). Ran like a fine watch; sound kept cutting in and out. I returned it. That's the second Atlas/ESU dud I have purchased. There won't be a third.

The root cause, which I suspect are crappy components from China, also may soon affect others decoder vendors.
    "The number of model railroads I have seen covered with the dust of apathy is directly related to the number of modelers who told me that they weren't interested in operation." -- Tony Koester

Realistic model railroad operations do not involve switching puzzles!

NSMR #1975, RMR #4

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,621 Times in 647 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought 8 pcs till now, all for KATOnarrow hood US locomotives. I use 3 pcs, no isue. Just all 3 want update to soft from start. No isue. Just i have to burn 3 pcs smd led to realise Aux3, Aux4, Aux5, Aux6 do not have resistors. Only Aux 1 and Aux2 have. Be aware if use them. I just put a order for a BLI 2-8-8-2 steam locomotive. And another 3 pcs EMD SD70ACe.
    I LIKE TO WORK WITH BIG SHIP ENGINES BUT I SPEND MY FREE TIME AROUND N SCALE TRAIN MODELS.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My business and baggage car lot arrived today. Lucky for me the Amtrak business car was actually "10000" and not Beech Grove! "10000" was a Kato Amtrak car I did not have! This was an excellent surprise!

:P42171L::SUP2T::SUP2C::SUP2L:

20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Blade3562 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 530 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a friend that just bought a new Atlas loco, and he said the loco is wired (plug) to take an ESU decoder......anything else requires some mods.......can anyone verify?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,749 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know of the latest SD9 and our very own @Spookshow has some pictures: http://spookshow.net/loco/atlassd7.html

They have what ESU calls the "E24" connector to plug a decoder in. ESU attempted to make that connector a (RailCommunity) standard, but failed to get approval. So it's documented, but not standardized (and a RailCommunity standard would also be half a step before an NMRA standard, if I understand correctly - at least for US purposes: https://www.nmra.org/library-specifi...s-other-groups)

The documentation - in German, I haven't found it in English - is here: http://normen.railcommunity.de/RCD-124.pdf - so other decoder manufacturers might make decoders as well, but I'm not aware of any yet. The only two I know of are the LokSound 5 nano (58925) and the LokPilot 5 nano (59925).

Don't know why Atlas went with that connector and I'm curious which locos they will add to that lineup.

From a standardization perspective, it's not a great idea to add yet another connector (OTOH, the other option would be PCB replacement decoders, which are specific to each loco series...)

From a technical perspective, I like that connector and I like that it's available from Mouser and (sometimes) JLCPCB, so it's well within my capabilities to make decoder buddy style replacement boards - and also the decoders are narrow enough to fit into most narrow hood diesels. In fact, when my GP38-2 needed more LED outputs than the 58751 provided, I did consider 58751 + function only decoder vs. 58925 + adapter board.

Heiko

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,511 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the way from Japan to the US. DHL Worldwide Express took 3 days. Insane!

25. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,384 Times in 1,693 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingmeow View Post
    All the way from Japan
    Liking those Tomix truss bridges...

Quote Originally Posted by kingmeow View Post
    DHL Worldwide Express took 3 days
    - That is fast!
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler - Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life - Web-Folio
    Blog: American Revolutionary War Diorama:https://www.nscale.net/forums/entry....onment-Diorama
    The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. ó Thomas Jefferson

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,511 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jugtown Modeler View Post
    Liking those Tomix truss bridges...

- That is fast!
    Only $11.30 each!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Janbouli View Post
    Isn't it possible to print the part you need?
    The local model railroad 3d printer thinks that the part is too small to accurately print it. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 229 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to a local train show this past weekend. Normally there isnít a lot thatís interesting and maybe I gat a car or two. This time I got there on the first day and was a bit luckier and found this MTL runner pack, plus a couple of cheaper cars that would be more weathering practice, but still good enough to be useful. I rolled the dice on the SD24, it was a 2005 run, but Atlas last ran the SD24 in 2016, and this earlier UP version last in 2009. Who knows when they will run them again. I looked it up before buying on @Spookshow, and Mark gave it an ďAĒ, so I took the chance. Iím sure it will need a decoder update, though.

IMG_0210.jpg

32. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Frank17913 For This Useful Post: