Thread: Lenz and Nscale

Default Me too!

I do too! But I am afraid until this site gets more content (which will be soon hopefully) there won't be much forum traffic.

Admin
    nScale.net

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lenz for N-Scale

I have been using DCC for 2 years, and have been buying Digitrax decoders. I have found some of the Atlas and Kato locos that come with decoders installed have Lenz. They seem to work fine on my Digitrax system. Do they offer more by way of drop-ins and loose decoders that I should look for? I have found plenty of sites with Digitrax, but not enough on Lenz to make me warm and fuzzy about picking up their equipment. Seems too sparse in distribution here in the USA. Anybody with ideas?

Default Your correct...

Unfortunately you are correct in your assumptions. Lenz is not as widely marketed in the US as I feel they should be. They also don't have the same selection of plugnplay decoders as does Digitrax. That said, they do have some of the better small decoders on the market. They have also been the most influential manufacturer in the development of the NMRA DCC standards. I have found the best overall resource for lenz decoders is Tony's Train Exchange. They do an excellent job in both the stocking and description of Lenz decoders. If you haven't been to their site:

http://www.tonystrainexchange.com

Administrator nScale.net

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re:Lenz and Nscale

Recently, I did couple upgrades from Digitrax P&P decoders to Lenz regular decoders.

Alexander Kolesnikov

DCCTRAIN
    www.dcctrain.com

Alexander Kolesnikov

www.dcctrain.com

Yes, let's not forget Alexander over at DCCTRAIN either!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only use Lenz 0521W Back EMF decoders and the performace is great. I have several Kato and Atlas locos and one 2-8-0 Bachmann. I use the Lenz Set 90. I would say I am a part time rail road hobbiest so this fits my use perfectly. Also the goof proof warrenty is great, I have toasted several decoders during the first installations. The Lenz warrenty replaces the decoder at no charge (during the first 12 months).

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 542 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I prefer the Lenz systems over the others I have had and their decoders as well. That is why I will soon be selling these systems.
    Lenz folks are very nice and easy to work with and their warranty is tops.
    Mike Fifer
    “When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
    I wrote ‘happy’.
    They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
    -- John Lennon

Mike & Robin at Fifer Hobby

Southern New Mexico N Scalers

Fifer Hobby Supply

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to add my two cents.

I use the Lenz system and find the quality and people at Lenz top notch. I have been happy with my choice and it does all I want it to do. I live in a model railroad backwoods and am not a club member. What this means is that having a whole bunch of other guys using the same system is not that big of a deal. I have heard so many people decide to go with another system because of this. The Lenz system is intuitive and the learning curve is fast. In no time you are running the system without any problems. If the Lenz system meets your needs and you like the feel and quality, go ahead and buy it. You won't be disappointed.

I don't mean to strart a flame war, so let me also state that from what I have heard Digitrax makes a great system with lots of customer loyalty, as do all the others. I am just doing a little Lenz flag waving because they are" my team".

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 542 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

YHR , I too think the other systems out there are good and I have used Digitrax , MRC , NCE and Atlas (lenz) . All are good but found a few shortcomings with all but Lenz. I also agree that the learnig curve (if not the same features) seems to be much easier to achive . My early Digitrax required many upgrades to keep up with technology(IE new DT 400 throttle to be able to program in DEC) as the Digitrax was set up with HEX.
    Then came transponding and on and on.
    But they all have good points as the quality of Digitrax is great , but can you tell me why all the power cables come out the front of the booster???

Mike

:? :? :? :? :?
    “When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
    I wrote ‘happy’.
    They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
    -- John Lennon

Mike & Robin at Fifer Hobby

Southern New Mexico N Scalers

Fifer Hobby Supply

Mike:

I also use the Lenz system. I have a Lenz 100 and use my old Lenz 01 Professional as a booster in my yard and turntable area. I totally enjoy the Lenz products and find their service to be outstanding. :wink: