Thread: A Railroad Name - probably defunct

Default Re:A Railroad Name - probably defunct

You sure posted a tough one! I did quite a bit of searching and came up with nothing!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I didn't think it was a hoax then and still don't but I suppose it was an obscure beast of history. Thanks for the effort.

twobuck
    twobuck

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by "TWOBUCK"
    Well, I didn't think it was a hoax then and still don't but I suppose it was an obscure beast of history. Thanks for the effort.

twobuck
    It's for real. I just don't quite know where to look for information. I believe it was a narrow gage or, maybe, standard operating in West Virginia/Virginia/Tennessee area. That's really vague!
    <center>[b]Christian
    Brockport, New York<center>[b]

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did a search myself, just now. This one had me going, as I recall the railroad!
    An index check at www.mrmag.com found it, eventually!!

Edit to add: Search using WBT&amp;amp;S as railroad initials!! That's what I eventually checked, and found what I was looking for!

The Wobble, Bobble Turnover and Stop.
    It was an actual narrow gauge railroad in Texas!!
    Called the Waco, Beaumont, Trinity and Sabine RR.

More information can be found:

Model Railroader Magazine
    July 1988
    Pgs 90 - 93, including an HO sclae track plan.
    The Wobble, Bobble, Turnover and Stop
    By Cyril Durrenburger

Hope this helps!!

Keith
    Keith Old age is just a state of mind.If you overlook the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!~Red Green

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Keith. I didn't really think it would be found. Now, in addition to you putting me on the trail, I 'scover the trail is right here in Texas. OK. I'm having some fun, now.

Thanks also to all who took a shot at it. Forums are great!

TWOBUCK
    twobuck

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tried various search terms, with no luck for a while.
    Of course, had I used the correct railroad initials, WBT&amp;amp;S, in the first place :roll:, I'd have found the information much sooner!!
    Thinking: Too much like work for me sometimes, more so at 2AM, or later!
    Just glad I was able to recall seeing the article and was able to find the necessary info regarding it!

Edit: Looking at the article again, right now, the railroad was actually Standard gauge!! Not Narrow gauge, as I had thought.

Keith
    Keith Old age is just a state of mind.If you overlook the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!~Red Green

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default WBT&S

I found this at http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/...qw3_print.html

WACO, BEAUMONT, TRINITY AND SABINE RAILWAY. Chartered as the Beaumont and Great Northern Railroad on June 22, 1905, the railroad was renamed the Waco, Beaumont, Trinity and Sabine Railway Company upon resumption of independent operation on April 1, 1923. Members of the first board of directors included R. C. Duff, J. L. Thompson, L. O. Jackson, A. M. Acheson, Alexander Thompson,qv W. W. Smithey, H. E. Kitcher, William A. Vinson,qv and Carter Stewart. The business office was in Trinity. The WBT&amp;amp;S operated forty-eight miles from Weldon through Trinity to Livingston. On April 8, 1924, the company purchased sixty-six miles between Trinity and Colmesneil from the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railway Company of Texas (Katy), making a total system of 114 miles. The Katy had acquired the B&amp;amp;GN from Duff in 1912 and in 1914 leased the company for ninety-nine years. However, the Katy entered receivership in 1915, and the reorganized company, which emerged in 1923, had no need for the &quot;orphan&quot; lines in East Texas. Duff reacquired the B&amp;amp;GN stock held by the Katy and, for $100,000, purchased the Katy's Sabine Division from Trinity to Colmesneil. Duff continued to press for the extension of the WBT&amp;amp;S to both Waco and Beaumont and, although he obtained authority from the Interstate Commerce Commission for the new construction, he was unable to secure the necessary financing. In 1926 the line had six locomotives and fifty-eight cars and received $25,802 in passenger earnings and $243,020 in freight earnings. However, the depletion of timber resources along the WBT&amp;amp;S, coupled with the early effects of the Great Depression,qv forced the company into receivership on February 8, 1930. This receivership lasted until the railroad was totally abandoned in 1961 and was the longest bankruptcy of any Texas railroad. Abandonment of the line began in 1936 with the line from Trinity to Colmesneil. In 1941 the outer eight miles of the Weldon line was removed, and in 1949 the twenty-four miles between Luce and Livingston was retired. The WBT&amp;amp;S suspended operations in 1959, when its only locomotive was condemned, and the last track was removed in 1961. The company was widely known by its nickname Wobble, Bobble, Turnover, and Stop, which is perhaps the best indication of the condition of the railroad during much of its life.

Surviving steam locomotives in Texas.
    WBT&amp;amp;S #1, 2-6-2, 4'-8