Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Introducing the Private Roadnames Forum!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re:Introducing the Private Roadnames Forum!

Well, I had figured that Bryan was serious about me modelling beehives on my layout, and I thought it was a pretty good idea. After all, we have farms with all sorts of livestock on our layouts, why not bees? They're considered livestock.

So, using my handy-dandy calculator, I determined that the length of each hive should be about 1/8", the width about 1/10", and the height could be about 1/4".

Modelling the bees on the other hand would be impossible, so I took that as the lighthearted side of the discussion.

(Oh, and the breeder called tonight, bees are delayed two days to the 19th.)
    Joe/KC6NLX
    Linking 13 States with the Nation
    Baltimore and Ohio RR 1827 - ????
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world - those who can count and those who can't.

Delray Beach, Florida, USA - Ex Busselton, Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,296 Times in 1,163 Posts
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joe, sorry if I got you (us) in trouble, for misbeehiving

I was serious about modeling beehives on your layout... I thought it should be reasonably easy to replicate a stack of boxes and have a few of them in the same vicinity to represent a real world apiary...

The bees; (a
    Bryan
    “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Looking for ideas...

So the bee thread reminded me (and great idea on modeling the hives, I've got a module that's some snippets out of my childhood and we had hives when I was a kid):

I'm like the silly names, from the famed "Gorre & Daphetid" on down, but I'm one of those Pollyanna optimist sorts. So while other folks are naming their beat-down western shortlines the "Sorry Valley", I'm thinking more along the lines of modeling some fictional railroad stops named things like "Auspicious" and "Lucky Lake".

Except most of the names I come up with sound like a freakin' Hallmark card.

Maybe I just need to give in and start painting everything pastel colors and make sure that the little people who populate these scenes have big round faces and large blue eyes, but there's gotta be the right set of names out there somewhere.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am contemplating building a layout based on a roadsign indicating a creek on my drives to Calgary. So it would be the Mosquito Creek Railroad. Has a definite short-line sound to it with no large cities, states or provinces or oceans in the name.

The other would be based on the fallen flag of the Northern Alberta Railways. We moved to the North country early enough to catch the joint CP-CN ownership. So you saw locomotive lashups of a NAR GP9 followed by 2 CP units and a CN. This stopped in the North end when they got their 4 SD38's Most of my younger years were in central Alberta and saw the normal consists of just CP or just CN.

Rather than the history of CN buying out CP only to spin it off into about 4 short lines it could have it remain as it was or even be the "non-unionized" railroad that takes over branch lines from both CP and CN.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by "joekc6nlx"
    Quote Originally Posted by "Admin"
    Or:

The SF (Swollen Face).
    H&H (Hive and Honey)
    S&V (Stinger and Venom)

I could go on....
    Go ahead! I'm always open to new ideas.
    I have yet to be stung by any of my bees. Of course, I have been stung by OPB (other people's bees), but not recently.
    well, that blissful time has now passed. One of my bees got me on the index finger of my right hand, in the crease closest to the tip of my finger. Not a lot of pain, but it sure did itch for a while.
    Joe/KC6NLX
    Linking 13 States with the Nation
    Baltimore and Ohio RR 1827 - ????
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world - those who can count and those who can't.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back in the mid 80's when I was working as a Train Dispatcher for the GTW in Battle Creek, MI I was building a small shortline RR in H-O Scale and I was looking for a name for it.
    It ran from South Bend IN south 11.3 miles to Pine IN. It connected to the GTW in South Bend and with the N&W at Pine.
    The real GT had just absorbed the DT&I into the GT and my new Timetable had the latest DT&I logo along with the GT on the cover. The DT&I had a star in the middle of it.
    I studied that for a while and thought to myself, "What if I replaced the "D" with a "G" and called my railroad the Grand Trunk & Indiana RR?"
    And that's how the GT&I was born. I wrote an article for Model Railroader and it was published in the Dec. '86 issue.
    But that was a long time ago and now that I'm in N-Scale the only thing I have is part of a Kato RS-2 shell lettered GT&I that sits in 50' Gon. as I'm modeling a small town on the Santa Fe in the late 60's-early 70's.
    But that was the best model RR I've ever had and would love to do it again some time, maybe even in N-Scale.
    Ds

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,325 Times in 540 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My name is Mike Fifer and my wife is Robin and together we make up the governing body of the ACT. The ACT is a fictitious line that runs in the 50's through the 70's from Albuquerque east through the Carnuel Spanish Land Grant through Tijeras Canyon to Tijeras and on to Moriarity where the line splits north to Madrid , Cerillos , Lamy and Santa Fe , and to the south from Moriarity through Estancia , Mountainair , west to Socorro, south to Kachina , Val Verde , San Marcial , Lava , Engle , Rincon , Dona Ana , Las Cruces , Anthony TX and finally to El Paso to interchange with the SP.

SEE MAP IN MY ALBUM

Mike
    “When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
    I wrote ‘happy’.
    They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
    -- John Lennon

Mike & Robin at Fifer Hobby

Southern New Mexico N Scalers

Fifer Hobby Supply

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on recent locomotive purchases, the Painted and Unlettered seems to be my new favorite RR.

"Want to avoid the licensing fee?
    Good ole P and U is absolutely free!"

Can you tell its late here? :wink:

General area of central Alabama, Birmingham
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 472 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Gulf Mobile & Birmingham Southern Railroad

I'm building a new Railroad based on a design by Ron and Friends. Motive power, rolling stock, equipment, and rights-of-way have been purchased. Construction is due to begin in August of this year. Starting images are available in the library under the name, "The Gulf Mobile & Birmingham Southern Railroad." The line will be a freelance and fantasy line incorporating what I like about railroading. Both Steam, Diesel, Freight and passenger service. Our intention is to have one and one half N scale miles of track. The following is a brief history the the Railroad.

Railroads began in England in the seventeenth century as a way to improve moving large, heavily loaded wheeled vehicles. The first American
    "Men go and come,
    but earth abides." Ecclesiastes 1:4

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,043 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ron, I'm impressed :l

Not only with your narrative but with digging this thread up after 19 months of no activity :dance

:toast2

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default S & O RR

S&O RR is a fictional freelanced railroad in my universe.

The S and O Rail Road a short line was spawned out of the necessity to move goods from the Token harbor to the closest towns as well as ferrying workers from nearby towns to the industrial area around the Harbor. The closest town is Jaden Falls. Named after the founder who fell flat on his face as he was marking out the area. The S and O Railroad is named after the 2 families who merged together the Smith and Otis families. The Smiths own the fish canning facility on the harbor to can the fish and the Otis family owns the box making factory that produces the boxes to box up the cans of fish. The 2 families were joined together when a Son of the Smith fell I love with a daughter of the Otis family and got married. The short line started with minimal financial backing so they purchased surplus and retired equipment of previous railroads to run on the line. Since the money was scares in the beginning all of the equipment kept there original paint so it is not unusual see equipment from any of the eastern US railroads current as well as fallen flags. The S & O interchanges with the Northfolk Southern and CSX Railroads and it is not unlikely to see equipment from these railroads on the S & O tracks on a daily basis. This agreement is producing positive cash flow and may even lead to purchasing more modern equipment and painting of the current roster. The S & O RR has plans in the future to stretch out it track mileage threw strategic mergers and purchases of other short line railroads. 2000 is the beginning of this trip and will it ever end. The goal is to have this RR grow as I can grow my layout area.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cascade & Western

Hi, all, I haven’t posted anything in a long time but try to keep up with what everone’s doing. I’ve been painting Hill Lines stuff for quite some time (mostly SP&S,) doing a little collecting and daydreaming about a layout. I also have a mess of Unitrack I’ve been experimenting with, trying out various configurations. My latest brainstorm (Ha!) is to make a medium-sized layout, about a 22’ by 11’ shelf, using the Kato track, of a fictitious line called the Cascade and Western. That should keep me occupied until I come up with a believable SP&S-themed layout. Here’s problem number 1: I’ve acquired, over the last 25 years or so, some ten boxcars decorated in that road by Micro-Trains. I don’t remember the name of the gent who commissioned those special runs, but I believe he was a contemporary of Roy Cutler, of Olympic Northern fame, and his and Roy’s railroads interchanged. Does anyone else know of this railroad or its creator? Both are/were from the Pacific Northwest. Is there any problem, ethical or otherwise, with my using this “protolanced” name? Second, the reporting mark is CW, which, in the real world, belongs to the Colorado & Wyoming. Hmmm. I haven’t yet developed a paint scheme, but was thinking of using the logo and lettering style of the boxcars in the photos. I will greatly appreciate any background info and /or guidance from the group.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cascade & Western

Hi, all, I haven’t posted anything in a long time but try to keep up with what everone’s doing. I’ve been painting Hill Lines stuff for quite some time (mostly SP&S,) doing a little collecting and daydreaming about a layout. I also have a mess of Unitrack I’ve been experimenting with, trying out various configurations. My latest brainstorm (Ha!) is to make a medium-sized layout, about a 22’ by 11’ shelf, using the Kato track, of a fictitious line called the Cascade and Western. That should keep me occupied until I come up with a believable SP&S-themed layout. Here’s problem number 1: I’ve acquired, over the last 25 years or so, some ten boxcars decorated in that road by Micro-Trains. I don’t remember the name of the gent who commissioned those special runs, but I believe he was a contemporary of Roy Cutler, of Olympic Northern fame, and his and Roy’s railroads interchanged. Does anyone else know of this railroad or its creator? Both are/were from the Pacific Northwest. Is there any problem, ethical or otherwise, with my using this “protolanced” name? Second, the reporting mark is CW, which, in the real world, belongs to the Colorado & Wyoming. Hmmm. I haven’t yet developed a paint scheme, but was thinking of using the logo and lettering style of the boxcars in the photos. I will greatly appreciate any background info and /or guidance from the group.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,641 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbymaxwell View Post
    I don’t remember the name of the gent who commissioned those special runs, but I believe he was a contemporary of Roy Cutler, of Olympic Northern fame, and his and Roy’s railroads interchanged.
    It's almost on the top of my tongue. But I'm trying to draw out a memory from early 1990s.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,636 Times in 1,197 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbymaxwell View Post
    I don’t remember the name of the gent who commissioned those special runs
    http://www.trovestar.com/generic/zoom.php?id=129468 - John Ludwig?

https://www.silvercreekcollectables....?pid=1553&man=
    https://www.silvercreekcollectables....?pid=1549&man=
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,641 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great find, Steve!

The name John Ludwig sorta rings a bell, from the far misty reaches of time. ...Roy Cutler I see every so often at a friend's home for a night of train videos and slides. If I can remember I'll ask him.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks so much, Steve and Paul. Do you guys think it'd be a problem for me to adopt the C&W for my use. Maybe if you talk with Roy, Paul, you could ask?