Thanks
    Thanked 3,488 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re:Welcome new nScale.net Members

Welcome Glenn,

I'm sure you'll find us an easy going bunch...
    Please don't hesitate to jump in an have your say...
    I'm sure you bring plenty of good N-Track experience with you... :wink: amongst others...

Keep us posted on your new layout, and get us some pics of your progress as it happens... a snap shot here and there can be good fodder to spur the next guy's imagination...

Thanks for joining us, and make yourself at home...
    Bryan
    “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hola Bryan, N People!

I'm a N modeler from Mexico City. I've been involved with scale trains since a while. My dad gave me my first train set when I was about 10 (I'm 34 now!) and we put together a little layout. Since then, I went back and forth to this magnificent hobby... until now: I'm in it for good.

Recently I decided along with my family to build a layout and my daughter Daniela (9) is helping me with it. She is great with ground covers and ballast, and is helping me a lot by decorating a Preiser set of unpainted figures. She is talented.

I've been buying some stuff lately: My idea is to combine or put together a bit of BNSF history in my layout. I guess this is because my grandfather worked for several years in the Santa Fe railroad. I have some ATSF, BN, GN, CB&Q and BNSF Engines and rolling stock (still need to include some Frisco stuff).

I feel glad to be part of this because here in my country N scale is really a challenge: expensive and no popular at all, people really prefers HO. So I'm looking forward to exchange ideas and experience.

Thanks!
    So wherever you go, there you are...

Hola Atuok, Estoy alegre tenerle como nuevo miembro. Espero que poder estar de ayuda a usted. No el hesistate hace cualquier pregunta o hace sugerencias. No hablo espa

Delray Beach, Florida, USA - Ex Busselton, Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome Atouk...

Mike (fifer) is probably one of our closer members to your location, and I'm sure he could help you out with some of your acquisitions, if needed...

Skilled and willing helpers are hard to find... you'ld better look after that one you've got...

Keep us posted on your progress... we look forward to hearing from you...
    Bryan

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Muchas gracias for your warm welcome!
    Tu espa

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Introduction

Hello Everyone! My name is Tom and I am working on my first N scale layout. It's very small (no room you know) and is a minor modification of the Carolina Central featured in the N Scale Model Railroad book by Kalmbach. It fits on a hollow core door and uses Atlas Code 80 track. I long for the day when I can fill a bedroom and use sweeping 20" radius curves for 50 car doublestacks pulled by Dash 9's. But for now, its 8 50' Boxcars pulled by a pair of GP 40s with one painfully tight (9 3/4&quot corner to deal with! Although scarecley necessary, this layout is wired for DCC using the MRC Prodigy system. I have just finished laying track on cork roadbed over pink foam insulation board. I have run trains to check the electrical (and play with the DCC!) and just tonight masked the turnouts for track painting. I hope to get a moment to do that tomorrow, but I have a career (archaeology) and a three year old, so time is always at a premium. Although it's nothing to look at compared to a lot of stuff I see on here, I have posted a photo album that will chronicle the progress of this project. I hope to right an article about the process. You know the kind. "Any bafoon can build a layout". but maybe I better finish it first.... Stupid is as Stupid does.
    Tom C. "It's the least I could do. And never let it be said I didn't do the least I could do." Groucho Marx

It is great to have you here dugbonz (great username)!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hola Tom, I do deal with tight space too . I'm building a 4'x4' layout on a corner in my studio room and I'm putting 3 analog circuits that runs on three "geographical" levels: a freight convoy that runs on "floor level", a coal trains that goes on the medium level and passenger train that runs on the upper level. They merge into medium level on the rear end of the layout. I have also room for two patios (yards) and manage my trains to go by. A little village is to be in the centered hill on that forms the upper level.

Hopefully, more space will be coming in the future

Be welcome.

David

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 541 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

dugbonz , WELCOME and we would love to see pictures ands hear of your progress!!

Mike
    “When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
    I wrote ‘happy’.
    They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
    -- John Lennon

Mike & Robin at Fifer Hobby

Southern New Mexico N Scalers

Fifer Hobby Supply

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Everyone - I am a plant manager in the Philadelphia area and in my early fiftys. I am interested in building a n scale layout to keep my 7 year old grandson busy. We love to work together in the basement on woodworking and electronic projects and I feel this is the perfect project for him. I am also interested in finding out about any n scale clubs in my area to get me started. I have a Bachman set that we have set up the last several holidays. I have also built a HO scale layout about 20 years ago when my son was young. I would like to build the layout on a hollow core door to keep it light and strong. As I am just getting stated in n scale, I would appreciate anyone forwarding me the titles of any good books on layouts and scenery building in this scale. I am looking forward to this project and this message board.
    CountryRoads

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thanks for the encouragement

And welcome aboard countryroads. Well, I did get to spray my track today. I used Model Masters Light Earth. I live in the Semi-arrid South Texas region. Around here, the old SP lines don't show rust as much as dust. I have gone to the tracks by my house many times to examine the way they look. I also like to see the tracks from overpasses. This givers you a good "model railroad" perspective of the prototype. My conclusion is that here in South Texas, the track and ties turn the same dusty color. I also started cleaning the rail tops with the brightboy. Didn't get far on that though before kickoff (Colts lose ).
    My over pass remark above brings me to a point. As a miniature wargamer for many years, I always felt that some of the best detailed minature soldiers made for some of the least desirable overall effects. If I stood far enough away from a real person to make him look 15mm tall, I would not be able to see stitching on his colthes, the color of his eyes or many other such details. To the contrary, guys would paint this stuff on their minis. This is obviously my humble opinion. I also want to say that I have the greatest respect for you rivet sanding, grab iron replacing, detail guys. I'm just still undecided at what level I want to enjoy my fledgeling railroad....
    Tom C. "It's the least I could do. And never let it be said I didn't do the least I could do." Groucho Marx

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw a picture in a model railway book (big picture in a big book and over two pages) wher the evening sun was shinig through some of the trees. There were some birch-trees, some pines, and some other trees, a corn field, grass, a country road, and some deer. It was a beautiful picture. You had to look really really close to see that it was a modle and not the real thing! This was HO, but still... some people like to make the miniature world in such a way that a picture of it will look as close to reality as possible.

There are as many ways to model as there are ways to paint a painting. Find the style that suits you best now. You can always change later.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, track is painted and I started the task of cleaning the rail tops. None of the Kalmbach articles or magazine pieces said how hard this was going to be!! My "brightboy" is a wreck and I still have trains that are running crappy. I first did the whole layout (remember, hollow core door. Not big) and thought i had done a good job. HAHAHAHA! My excellent running Atlas geep did the Macarena around the pike. So I scrubbed on the troubled spots. Only a minor improvement. I then took the tack that I will concentrate on just 2 feet at a time. Again, minor gains. I have a feeling this is going to be a slow process... Anyone with tips or suggestions? I will repost this under a more appropriate heading too.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been a visitor (lurker) to your site for quite some time now. I have picked up a lot of help and tips just from reading. Just thought I'd finally join.
    I'm still learning new stuff all the time and trying to gather all the good info available. I try to learn something new about the hobby everyday. I am a member of several other site's as well, and I see some names I recognize here. So...hello to everyone!

sandjam

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi ya SJ,

I've been around here, but mostly as a lurker. Gut feel this place is going to get more active in the near future.

To the rest of the board. SJ's a pretty dang good modeller type fella. I've used some of his ideas to great benifit.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hello

Hi Guys!

I can vouch of SK and Sandjam...they're both good eggs!

I've been lurking for a while too. I'm probably going to be hanging out here a bit more myself.

Welcome to SKMoss, thebige, and sandjam (need to know the meaning of that username!) !!! Glad to hear that you all have been taking your time to make sure we are worth your time.

Glad to hear that you have found this place useful. That makes my day.

SK will (hopefully) be helping out around here. We haven't worked out the details, but are very happy to have him on board.

I probably haven't said this in a while but if anyone has a question or comment for me, please don't hesitate to use the questions for adminstrator forum or send me a PM or Email (buttons below).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lessee now - I know SKMoss , and sandjam , and even thebige

Hi Ya Fellas!!

(crawls back into burrow, to see what, or who, else comes along! :twisted: )

hehehe

Delray Beach, Florida, USA - Ex Busselton, Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by "GNFA310"
    Lessee now - I know SKMoss , and sandjam , and even thebige

Hi Ya Fellas!!

(crawls back into burrow, to see what, or who, else comes along! :twisted: )

hehehe
    I love it, a family reunion...

Welcome aboard...
    Bryan

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Todd, Bryan,

Thanks to you and the rest. I've also see JWaldo (Jimmy around) SandJam = Concatnation of James, and his wife name. I don't know wife, but SandJam and I have been "Chatting" online for a while. Again great guy, very good modeler.

GNFA <Wave>, Nice to see you my friend. Hope things are continuing to settle down around your house. Still waiting on hearing what extra rolling stock you got laying around

Steve